Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Calorie Counting

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Anybody fighting the same thing, good luck to you, you have my complete support and respect. It sucks, it's boring, it's embarrassing, but it's important and you can do it.
    I never found it embarrassing when I was losing weight. I find myself embarrassed when I vocally admit that the mirror is right in that I've re-added most of the weight I lost. I was down 135lbs on a diet I began February 2014 and ended January 2015. Late 2017 I slowly started to re-add weight, and then in 2018 it accelerated after my shoulder surgery (second time on that shoulder). I'm a stress eater, and 2018 was prepping for a wedding, then a series of health issues with my new wife, and then most of 2019 to current I've been preparing for a colossal shift of having my first baby. I plan to get things back under control during my 16 weeks of parental leave.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Zatind
      For me, weight loss is always more micronutrient than calorie counting.
      Do you have any services that could help me write a proper research paper? I've heard Professor Alicia is very good.

Comment

I gained 15-20 lbs since my foot surgery on July 2. At first I was upset, but at least I realize I have the energy to do what workouts I need, I am keeping up with an 8 year old at my job (and will be assigned another case soon), my food intake is okay, my water intake is okay...
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Down a full 40 lbs from my all time high now. So close to getting back into the 170s. 181.2 is an “all-time” low. I literally do not remember when I was at 181. Certainly pre-2003.

I look back at my photos from last summer and it’s hard to actually look at them.
          I had a very long winter and ate too many cookies. Back on track now and hit 50 lbs since my all-time high three years ago.

It’s a lifestyle change. Not a race.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My weight went up to 241 post surgery from 220. Not terrible, but not where I want to be. At last check, I was at 234.

That said, I need to lay off my own baked goods. Giving up alcohol will help, but it will help more if I'm eating more fiber and drinking more water. I discovered craft soda in the wake of not drinking, but even that's got to stop. I love a good ginger beer, but 2 ginger beers every day don't help.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Just eliminate added sugar. Just be done with it.

I used to drink several pops a day, down a box of junior mints, and god knows what else back in high school. I used to buy all sorts of candy and sickly sweet ****.

I stopped buying pop. I forced myself to like coffee. Buy a water bottle (we like the Nalgene Triton, easily washed and secure) and drink more water.

Learn to like carrots as a snack. Cheap and still semi sweet. I would choke them down at lunch at work from the cafeteria. I used to get a pickle with my sandwich but decided to stop and just have carrots instead. Now I can eat them without dipping sauce.

Don’t even go down the snack aisle. Stay away from dairy if it makes you do bad things. Stop buying butter if you can’t help but bake.

It will be a hellish initial journey. But you eventually lose your sweet tooth. If you can’t do it slowly, start with pop. Never buy a pop again. It’s a step in the right direction.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yawn. Another person with good intentions telling me how to eat without knowing the first thing about me, other than I'm a queer from West Michigan who at one time was an amazing endurance athlete.

You don't know that I used to weigh 396 lbs at NMU my first semester. I busted my *** and worked my way down to 265 by the time I graduated in 2006. In that time, there were cookies, ice cream, and plenty of alcohol. We were "relaxed but informed." And I had plenty of good people around me to help.

By December 2007, though, I weighed 200. By 2008, "relaxed, but informed" became very tight gripped. Counted everything, including the lettuce and tomato on my sad little sandwich. Also at that time, I started running 5Ks and working out a lot. At the end of that year, I weighed 165. My old church, when they still loved me, tried to help. I was having none of it.

By 2009, I was involved in endurance without adjusting my calories to meet the demand. After my first 25K, I had a fat free sandwich. It got worse from there. At the 2009 Grand Rapids Marathon, I started GREAT. By mile 23, I was dead, and I crossed the finish line 20 minutes later than I had in mind. At the post race dinner, I was scared to eat. 2010 snapped me out of this lifestyle, because I was sent to the ER with a hemoglobin level of 6, less than half of what it needed to be.

It took time. And I went through a few years of Dietary Purgatory before figuring out what worked for me and for me alone. Right now, I only bake when the mood's upon me. Still surprised I lasted 2 months into Pandemic 2020 without baking anything.

But right now, my mental state is such that I cannot handle another demand placed upon me. Work is hard enough, especially being a substitute technician right now (I fill in when other techs are sick). I'm in physical therapy for my right foot, and the last session made me want to cry in session. My physical strength is all but gone. I'm not the rock star I thought I was in school, and this quarter is pure hell. I have 4 major assignments due soon, and every assignment submitted is basically a prayer to Jesus, Allah, and Buddha. I gave up drinking for the month of May at least because it was interfering with everything. And lately, with the stress of school, pandemic, etc, all I want to do is absolutely murder a bottle of wine (or drink two full glasses of whiskey or vodka).

Right now, the occasional round of baking something is the only comfort I have left. That, and my cat. I've been starved for physical touch and booze is 100% out of the question right now. So no. I can go for stretches without sugar, but when I feel the itch, I'm going to create something. Remember, it was me who gave this board recipes for double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread and crunchy peanut butter banana bread with dark chocolate chips.

And until you understand that.. you'll be reduced to getting me coffee.

Comment

Seriously. There's no big difference in my appearance two days after my foot surgery (July 4, 2019) and almost a year later. I was told weight gain was to be expected. And holding it to 15-20 lbs over 10, almost 11 months is kind of impressive, considering I've had weight-bearing restrictions most of that time.

Miss Thundercat can always find her way back when she skips too far and loses her way. It's been this way for awhile. And everyone who offers their unsolicited advice is sent out to bring her back coffee and an Everything bagel. She could eat them, but that's too much...

Comment

I didn’t think he was being rude or condescending by offering advice. Humans will tend to share advice that’s worked for them. It’s human nature.

I’m sure he’ll never do it again .

Comment

Yeah that seemed to be a ton of bricks on somebody trying to help. No bueno.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sorry. Didn’t mean to come off as preachy.

I actually do know about your past. I actually followed your posts over the years hoping some day I could make the same journey and lose weight. Recently, I did. I found what worked for me. I’m excited about it and want to share. Even though I went a different route, mostly through changes in eating habits and not going down the marathon route. I also knew of your swing to the other side of the spectrum and I used it as a warning to myself to be very careful how I lose weight. I tried changing my food and exercise habits because of the fitness threads you would post in.

My path was different and didn’t involve as much exercise as your original efforts did. It was my relationship with food that changed. It was a lot of work but it was successful. I was hoping to try to return the favor, not judge or condescend. Maybe my success would help you gain some new success if you aren’t able to exercise like you used to.

So, I’m sorry if I came off the wrong way.
                        Code:

Comment

Today, I went to Meijer for some odds and ends. Picked up almond butter (they didn't have any crunchy PB), AHA sparkling water, a couple cans of Death Wish Cold Brew, and Izze juice.

For right now, I think what I'll have to do is lay off baking again for awhile (unless it's pizza dough or homemade bread), and really emphasize protein, fiber, and water-flavored water and coffee-flavored coffee. Lattes/mocha put me to sleep.

Also, lately, I've been so stressed and so tired that what workouts I can do are falling by the wayside. If I can get back to 5-6 days a week of 30-60 minutes of purposeful activity, I should be good. Even if I have to do it at 8:30-9 PM.

Comment

Picked up a scale and checked this morning: 234.4. Not terrible, but I think I can get to 230 by the end of next month.

1. Limit myself to coffee (AM), maybe a cup of good decaf in the afternoon, and either water or sparkling water the rest of the day. I discovered LaCroix/Bubly is an excellent replacement for pop and alcohol. I like Izze sparkling juice, but even then, whole fruit is better than juice.

2. More protein and fiber. Since I'm in charge of grocery shopping, this should be easy. For example, there is a 4.5 lb leg of lamb in my fridge, and it's a Sunday project.

3. Whole grain baking. Make my own whole wheat breads and pizza doughs at least.

4. Bake for co-workers and church, but really limit for myself.

5. Try more vegetable based "pasta" dishes. I loved my butternut squash lasagna. But next up is a sweet potato lasagna, if I can do it right.

6. On June 1, try a small amount of alcohol when I get home from work. Then again, I might not. Sober Amber Marie feels pretty good.

Comment

• 226. But I have to ask how much of that is waste and how much of that is muscle. Also debating whether to stop at 215 or try for a leaner 200.

But the good news is, I've upped the fiber (lots of Brussels, whole grains, and sweet potatoes), upped the protein, and have been drinking much more water.

Comment

• I also got a yearly subscription to Beachbody on Demand. All their workouts in one place, and I'm still doing things like TurboFire and Chalean Extreme. I found out you can follow a hybrid Chalean/TurboFire schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X