• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 NMU Hockey Season

#19 NMU Wildcats Return Home To Host UAA Seawolves

January 7th, 2020

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...20200107grrn1d

Comment

What's the scuttlebutt about NMU and MTU working to bring two east coast teams and swapping play for a weekend? This mutually beneficial?

Comment

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
        What's the scuttlebutt about NMU and MTU working to bring two east coast teams and swapping play for a weekend? This mutually beneficial?
        Coach Shawhan has mentioned a few times on his radio show that he would like to do it. He has a good relationship with Casey Jones at Clarkson and hinted at them and St. Lawrence possibly being agreeable to it. I haven't heard anything out of the NMU camp, but it sounds like Grandpa Tony has his connections out west and is trying to schedule his non-conference games against them.

I think it would be a good deal for all four teams involved. Here one year out there the next.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's funny that 4 of the 6 travel partner groups in the ECAC have arguably similar or in some cases much longer drives between the two. Here's how the distances compare:

67 mi from Colgate – Cornell (1 hour, 30 minutes according to Google Maps)
          ----------------------
          99 mi from Tech - NMU (1 hour, 35 minutes)
          ----------------------
          103 mi from Yale – Brown (1 hour, 37 minutes)
          131 mi from Harvard – Dartmouth (2 hours, 6 minutes)
          138 mi from Quinnipiac – Princeton (2 hours, 30 minutes)

Comment

I'd be up for it. The two series against Cornell have been a very welcome change of pace from the usual Midwest teams. I'd gladly make the trip out East if NMU was to do a weekend out there in the future (had plans to do Cornell, but unfortunately I wasn't able to schedule that specific weekend off work). It's something new and interesting.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The Chasing MacNaughton Podcast (which is getting it's groove and a pretty good podcast despite the team they favor ) mentioned it a few weeks back. I believe they said that Joe was talking to Grant about it, but Grant also wants to use some of his connections west (if I remember correctly). So it sounded like it was just going to come down to scheduling and availability.

I really hope it does happen. I would love to have some out East teams make the trip to the UP, and for us to go out East. It's beneficial for the PWR, for the players to compare their skills, it showcases our schools to Eastern media, and it can be used as Alumni events for our schools.

Unfortunately, some of the additional benefits aren't applicable for the Eastern schools except for Midwest exposure, but either way it's a PWR perk for all.

Get it done NMU! Let's schedule some ECAC, and HE schools!
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                I'd be up for it. The two series against Cornell have been a very welcome change of pace from the usual Midwest teams. I'd gladly make the trip out East if NMU was to do a weekend out there in the future (had plans to do Cornell, but unfortunately I wasn't able to schedule that specific weekend off work). It's something new and interesting.
                I’m looking forward to the Cornell series. I’ve rumor of Clarkson/St Lawrence, but haven’t seen it confirmed. Looks like you’d have to either fly into Burlington, VT or Syracuse for that one.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  I’m looking forward to the Cornell series. I’ve rumor of Clarkson/St Lawrence, but haven’t seen it confirmed. Looks like you’d have to either fly into Burlington, VT or Syracuse for that one.
                  The closest commercial airport to Potsdam/Canton is actually in Ottawa. That does create some possible border issues though.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    The closest commercial airport to Potsdam/Canton is actually in Ottawa. That does create some possible border issues though.
                    The time spent with customs wouldn’t be worth the 20 minutes difference to Burlington or the hour to Syracuse.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      The time spent with customs wouldn’t be worth the 20 minutes difference to Burlington or the hour to Syracuse.
                      It's about 90 minutes different to Burlington, I did that drive a couple years ago. But I get it on the border hassles.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        That's pretty funny when Northern complains about someone else not posting highlights.

(Ring Ring)

Hello kettle? This is the pot. You're black.

(Click)
                        Interesting thing, looking at the WCHA YouTube channel, and every NMU home game has highlights this year. Even the home game vs MTU. But the game AT MTU DOESN'T have highlights... What's that about a pot and kettle and black? [emoji848]
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Gee it would have been nice to see highlights of this. *glares in BG's direction*
                          Highlights available on "Inside the WCHA" https://youtu.be/4In69AYEwIQ

AHA:
                          ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            Interesting thing, looking at the WCHA YouTube channel, and every NMU home game has highlights this year. Even the home game vs MTU. But the game AT MTU DOESN'T have highlights... What's that about a pot and kettle and black? [emoji848]
                            Tech doesn't need the league to host highlights, they have their own YouTube page. They also get road highlights. Tech's are also edited, not a spit-out of the replay deck for the game.

So yeah, you're still black, pot.

Comment

Yeah, its called "**** that." I'm not subscribing to 10 different YouTube channels that I don't give a **** about 99% of the year. Share em with the league. Unless you don't want anyone to watch your "highlights" [emoji2369]

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                Yeah, its called "**** that." I'm not subscribing to 10 different YouTube channels that I don't give a **** about 99% of the year. Share em with the league. Unless you don't want anyone to watch your "highlights" [emoji2369]
                                So give the views to someone else's page when you did all the work? Not good social media policy.

Comment

Working...
                                X