Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Spoiler Thread. You've Been Warned

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Saw the film earlier today. The ONE thing that keeps popping into my head is the Batman "origin" scene. Seriously, just cut Thomas, Martha, and Bruce leaving the theatre and heading into that dark alley, and this film is perfect. That scene took me out of the film for the moment and I'm not happy about it. It was not needed at all.

We all know that the unrest in Gotham would create Batman eventually. It didn't need to be tied into this story at all. I really wonder if Warner told Todd Phillips that he needed to have something tying this to the larger world of Batman. I just don't see how it fits the narrative that the film presents.
    They didnt, he did it on his own. (he said they left him alone from the beginning) And it made sense to include it because usually Batman is seen as what causes the rise of villains like the Joker (in comics and movies) but in this story Joker causes the birth of Batman. (and not like in Batman '89)

I liked it and it fit perfectly imho.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      They didnt, he did it on his own. (he said they left him alone from the beginning) And it made sense to include it because usually Batman is seen as what causes the rise of villains like the Joker (in comics and movies) but in this story Joker causes the birth of Batman. (and not like in Batman '89)

I liked it and it fit perfectly imho.
      Race's point is that we all know how the parents were killed, so why include the specifics? Once they went down the alley, boomdone.

Yes, it's a nitpick, but it did distract from the movie just a touch.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Because it is an iconic scene, and people would have wondered about it if it wasnt included. Plus they spent so much time dealing with Thomas that was the way to put a bow on it.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Because it is an iconic scene, and people would have wondered about it if it wasnt included. Plus they spent so much time dealing with Thomas that was the way to put a bow on it.
          I understand your take, but will disagree. Maybe just in case someone somewhere DIDN'T know the story behind the Joker/Batman connection? On the other hand, that would be like not knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's father.....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Look at how minimal all the other direct references to the source material were throughout the film. They were all 1 or 2 out of 10. That was a 9 or 10 with lights, sirens, and arrows around it.

It really took me out of the film at that point. I was trying to comprehend what went down during the Murray Franklin show. There is a ton to unpack in those scenes from both a narrative standpoint and a performance standpoint (specifically it stood out how Juaquin's line delivery changed. The whole film he was shy, quiet, and not confident in his voice. Once on the show he speaks with authority and confidence and his delivery is very crisp. It signals his change from Arthur to Joker)
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Look at how minimal all the other direct references to the source material were throughout the film. They were all 1 or 2 out of 10. That was a 9 or 10 with lights, sirens, and arrows around it.

It really took me out of the film at that point. I was trying to comprehend what went down during the Murray Franklin show. There is a ton to unpack in those scenes from both a narrative standpoint and a performance standpoint (specifically it stood out how Juaquin's line delivery changed. The whole film he was shy, quiet, and not confident in his voice. Once on the show he speaks with authority and confidence and his delivery is very crisp. It signals his change from Arthur to Joker)
              I read up on IMDB, and his "Murr-RAY!!" pronunciation was a key thing during that scene. Subtle, but huge.

Comment

Added: the Murray scene, he faced the gavel, and swung towards the criminal. You can SEE him making the choice. It was nut-cutting time, and he went for it.

Comment

I get what you are saying...what I am saying is I think you are in the extreme minority on that one especially amongst the comic fans.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

GOT IT!
                    If anyone has seen "Critter Christmas" South Park...Joker is that, on a deeper intellectual/societal commentary level. Into the depths of the imagination we go.....

Comment

I had to duck out of the theater when the Joker was in the cop car as it was struck by the ambulance, and then I arrived back as he was dancing on the hood. What happened in between?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I had to duck out of the theater when the Joker was in the cop car as it was struck by the ambulance, and then I arrived back as he was dancing on the hood. What happened in between?
                        Joker is pulled out of the car unconscious, then the Waynes leave a theater (where Zorro is playing like in the comics) and Thomas and Martha are killed by a dude in a clown mask in the Batman origin style, then Joker wakes up and then dances for the crowd.

In white cause...spoilers.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Martha
                          Why did you say that name?????

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Why did you say that name?????
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm sorry but the Incel stuff is rather disingenuous. Joker is hardly the first character to be crazy and live at home with Mom. By that definition Norman Bates is an Incel. The trope predates the modern society(Law and Order used it a ton in the last 30 years) and I find it kind of pathetic The Left is using it as an excuse to **** on the film. Arthur may fit the definition of what an Incel is but so do evil people in films going back decades and the same reviewers love those films.

The Right can **** off too. Their complaints are hollow to me. It isn't like that wasn't the perfect pastiche of New York in 1981. Truth hurts...EAT THE RICH!

I liked seeing the Batman origin only cause it showed that the fall of Gotham spawned both disease AND the cure. Batman and Joker are both caused by Gotham.

And yes the killing of the D-bags felt like justice...until the last one where he hunted him.
                              I absolutely agree with all of this.

I’d also add THIS Joker is a sympathetic character period. What’s the difference between Arthur Fleck and Travis Bickle? Fleck has a mental condition that needed treatment and it evidently ran in his family. This movie shows one possible outcome to a man that’s damaged to start but is also shat on at every opportunity along the way.

It gives the NYT and others the mirror they need to look into and it gives much needed depth to the character.

I don’t give a **** what the gop thinks of this film. It’s not written for them and will never understand the kill the rich sentiment that pervades this version of Gotham.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The Right can **** off too. Their complaints are hollow to me. It isn't like that wasn't the perfect pastiche of New York in 1981. Truth hurts...EAT THE RICH!
                                It's arguably now the perfect pastiche of large swaths of San Francisco and LA in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X