This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:52: Not Founded On Anything

So it is your contention that it was just random that when TPaw was in office cutting taxes (without cutting spending) things went to crap and since then when the Dems have held and raised taxes things got better? Interesting...

If you want to argue individual politicians have little to no effect I will agree with that but the overall fiscal policy of the party definitely does. It isnt like MSP wasnt "blessed" with the same advantages under GOP leadership but yet things tanked. (see also: Jesse Ventura giving back the surplus money) MSP runs smoothest when the taxes are in a certain sweet spot (about right where they are now) so they can fund that which needs to be funded and still put a little away for a rainy day. The MNGOP since the early 90s is hellbent on having any taxes and cuts them to dangerous levels whenever they can. TPaw and his Gang of Dubya Sycophants bankrupted education, underfunded infrastructure and tried to starve out all government functions. If another GOPer had followed that mess instead of Dayton Minnesota would not be in the shape it is in right now.

You bring up NoDak to try and prove your point but I would argue it proves mine. When the oil boom hit the smart plan would have been to re-invest that money and bank some of it. (you know, with a decent tax rate) NoDak could have been set up for decades of prosperity post boom and wise politicians would have done that. Everyone knew sooner or later the oil boom would dry up (it does everywhere) so why not plan for the future? They didn't and NoDak is pretty much exactly what it was before the boom only with more people who lost their shirts when things went bust. That isnt a party deal, that is just a smart economic policy deal.

This is the argument I get in with my parents all the time. They never planned for the future. They always assume prosperity will be forever and the "Rainy Day" will never come. They always spent everything they could and never saved enough to survive if tragedy struck. (and it always did) For years I made less money than them but struggled way less than them because I always plan for the "Rainy Day". The smart politicians arent the ones in office when the boom hits, they are the ones that make things better so when the boom ends things are ok. Right now, one Party plans for the future and the other doesnt. (outside of planning for the End Days cause...Jesus!) Both spend like contestants on Supermarket Sweep, but one of them at least tries to make enough money to pay for the spending and protect for the future. To deny that is ignorance.
    Last edited by Handyman; 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      That's not gonna fly Mr. Deflect. No matter how much supposed hysteria and hyperbole is out there, there are in fact serious concerns with this administration that too many folks are willing to overlook. It could be blind allegiance, it could be downright ignorance, it could be, "to own the libs". Whatever the cause it's unbecoming, but more importantly as long as Trump has a realistic shot at reelection it's outright potentially dangerous. No hysteria required.
      Of course there are real crisis out there. But when everything is a crisis, when everything is a threat to the constitution, then real stuff gets lost in the clutter.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        So it is your contention that it was just random that when TPaw was in office cutting taxes (without cutting spending) things went to crap and since then when the Dems have held and raised taxes things got better? Interesting...
        So it's your claim that TPaw, governor from 2003 to 2011, as I recall, and his policies were the cause of the nationwide housing crisis and recession that followed. That is interesting.

Of course political policies can have some effect on the economy. If you erect trade barriers you can create an economic ripple. If you free up money through the fed, you can see changes in things like the housing market. Those are just examples.

I agree that stability is important as opposed to a constant whipsaw of raising and lowering taxes. I agree that for each state there is probably some sort of "sweet spot" tax level that is probably appropriate, in most instances, although it can get out of whack during certain periods.

But I also happen to think that a divided government where control is shared in one form or another by both parties is also beneficial, primarily because I think it prevents the big moves to the extremes. Dayton has largely benefited from that too.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Of course there are real crisis out there. But when everything is a crisis, when everything is a threat to the constitution, then real stuff gets lost in the clutter.
          There's just one crisis right now. It's orange and fat and stupid and lives at 1600.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            So it's your claim that TPaw, governor from 2003 to 2011, as I recall, and his policies were the cause of the nationwide housing crisis and recession that followed. That is interesting.
            During. Housing crisis was in 2008.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Of course political policies can have some effect on the economy. If you erect trade barriers you can create an economic ripple. If you free up money through the fed, you can see changes in things like the housing market. Those are just examples.

I agree that stability is important as opposed to a constant whipsaw of raising and lowering taxes. I agree that for each state there is probably some sort of "sweet spot" tax level that is probably appropriate, in most instances, although it can get out of whack during certain periods.

But I also happen to think that a divided government where control is shared in one form or another by both parties is also beneficial, primarily because I think it prevents the big moves to the extremes. Dayton has largely benefited from that too.
              No I am saying his policies had an effect on how things were in MN. Last I checked we were discussing MSP.

If you want to blame the Dubya recession for TPaws failures and bankrupting the State go ahead I guess. Again quite the coincidence that things always seem to rebound under the Dems though. MNGOP must just be unlucky...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Again quite the coincidence that things always seem to rebound under the Dems though. MNGOP must just be unlucky...
                You keep saying things "rebound under the Dems."

2003-2011 (When you claim things go to heck)

TPaw governor (R)

House
                03-06 (R)
                07-10 (D)

Senate
                03-10 (D)

So, basically, things went to heck with a Republican governor and a legislature controlled mostly by the Democrats.

2011-2018 (when you claim things turned rosy)

Dayton governor (D)

House
                11-12, 14-18 (R)

Senate
                11-12, 17-18 (R)

13-16 (D)

Assuming we don't have a dictatorship here in Minnesota, appears to be a mixed bag in terms of who is governing when things turned bad and things turned good.

Although coincidentally, things turned bad nationally (and even internationally) during TPaw's tenure and rebounded during Dayton's.

Comment

Sniffles welcomed the World Series Champion Boston Red Socks to the White House. This error was later corrected to state they were the World Cup Series Champion Boston Red Sox. During the visit Sniffles regaled the attendees with a story about Abraham Lincoln losing the Civil War.

None of this was written by the Onion or any other parody site.

Comment

I would respond to you Hovey...but the tica post literally froze my brain.

Oh man:

Last edited by Handyman; 05-09-2019, 07:10 PM.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Still can't bring himself to admit that those 'good people" of the South lost that war.

There's a lot of people out there like that.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I would respond to you Hovey...but the tica post literally froze my brain.

Oh man:

I think he was referring to the period up to Fourth of July 1863 when the tide turned. There is a big difference between losing and lost. To be fair I was confused reading it at first as well. Tom Warner either didn’t understand it or couldn’t explain it well.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          I think he was referring to the period up to Fourth of July 1863 when the tide turned.
                          Much as I hate to say it, that's plausible. Context matters.

Comment

I would give him the benefit of the doubt...but the clown and his staff dont even know what the World Series is or the name of the team they are honoring. I highly doubt his argument was nuanced or that well thought out.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

“President Trump's attorney, Rudy Giuliani, will travel to Ukraine in an attempt to push the government to open investigations into the origin of the Russia probe and former Vice President Joe Biden, saying they could be "very helpful" to President Trump: "We’re not meddling in an election, we’re meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do."

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ons-that-could

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                “President Trump's attorney, Rudy Giuliani, will travel to Ukraine in an attempt to push the government to open investigations into the origin of the Russia probe and former Vice President Joe Biden, saying they could be "very helpful" to President Trump: "We’re not meddling in an election, we’re meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do."

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ons-that-could
                                That's...that's....that's what obstruction of justice is.....
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X