Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    Imagine having a national broadcast out of some of the AHC/community barns? Yikes.
    Those are mostly gone:
    Sacred Heart plays in AHL arena in Bridgeport
    AIC plays in AHL arena in Springfield
    Holy Cross plays in AHL arena in Worcester
    Canisius plays in Harbor Center
    Bentley - has own new arena
    RIT - has own relatively new arena
    Army, Air Force, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris - I can't speak to the quality of their facilities in this context, but know they are definitely not community barns.
    Niagara has their own facility that I know is sub-standard for an event like this and for TV.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      Army, Air Force, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris - I can't speak to the quality of their facilities in this context, but know they are definitely not community barns.
      Niagara has their own facility that I know is sub-standard for an event like this and for TV.
      Army and Air Force have arenas on par with the HarborCenter (Canisius). Mercyhurst's is on par with Niagara's. Robert Morris plays at what is technically a community rink.

None of those six arenas -- and not Bentley's either -- holds even half the attendance Regionals usually attract. Even RIT's would be smaller than usual.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Those are mostly gone:
        Only Sacred Heart and AIC have facilities that meet the current requirements for a regional, which includes 5,000 minimum capacity. Plus you need 75 seats for media in the press box. Not sure if those could even meet that.

Only 25 of 60 home arenas are 5,000 or above in capacity: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

And only 11-14 teams in any given season average more than 5000 fans/game in any given season.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Why not do the hockey tournament the way lacrosse does it. First round is at the rink of the higher seeds. You could schedule that on a Tuesday, followed by super regionals played on Saturday and Sunday. It might have prevented St. Cloud from losing yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Why not do the hockey tournament the way lacrosse does it. First round is at the rink of the higher seeds. You could schedule that on a Tuesday, followed by super regionals played on Saturday and Sunday. It might have prevented St. Cloud from losing yet again.
              This has been covered ad nauseum before. "Super regionals" don't work in hockey because of practice/pregame ice time and locker room space. Four teams at a site is the optimum number.

Comment

There is no "must." The current system, although ridiculous, can always continue to operate.

The best system is 2 weeks of single game elimination at the better seed. Bids as now with AQ and AL. Field ranked 1-16 by PWR, no exceptions, no bullsh-t. If that matches up conference rivals, so be it. If Factory Derp University has to play at Tiny Liberal Arts College, tough sh-t. Play better next year.

8 1Rs; reseed; 4 QFs; reseed; F4.

Clean, simple, fair.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm going to be talking to one of the D-I committee members tomorrow for a story on USCHO that will follow up on some of the decision making behind the 2020 and 2021 regional sites. Anything anyone would like me to ask about?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    I'm going to be talking to one of the D-I committee members tomorrow for a story on USCHO that will follow up on some of the decision making behind the 2020 and 2021 regional sites. Anything anyone would like me to ask about?
                    What will happen if Yale and SHU make the field as co-hosts in Bridgeport at SHU's home rink?
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Who else bid?

Comment

Who else bid?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the number of sites to choose from?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the quality of sites to choose from?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the location of sites to choose from? (i.e. enough out west?)

If the answer is "no" to any of those, what will change to make that a "yes"?

What feedback, if any, did it get from previous bidders that did not seek games this time (ie. Resch Center in Green Bay said not bidding because of xxxx)? If none, did the NCAA even ask, or will it?

Are there any of the requirements it is considering changing, based on the bids submitted, not submitted, feedback, etc?

Are there any format changes being considered, based on the bids submitted (or any other factor)?

Would it consider bids in the same city as an institution, but not in the home rink, in order to satisfy the neutral ice requirement? (i.e. the Coliseum in Madison instead of the Kohl Center, the other Omaha rink, etc)

Has attendance at the regionals or Frozen Four been a concern? If so, what will be done to address that? (site selection, ticket prices, game times, etc)
                        St. Norbert College Green Knights
                        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        ---
                        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Those are mostly gone:
                          How.do you secure dates at these multi tennent facilities in case of a possible regional?
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            It might have prevented St. Cloud from losing yet again.
                            I mean, another way to prevent St. Cloud losing yet again would have been, you know, their players scoring more goals then their opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              How.do you secure dates at these multi tennent facilities in case of a possible regional?
                              Good question. Sacred Heart's home league series against RIT had to be played Wednesday-Friday because Saturday and Sunday were booked. Had they been in the first round of the AHA playoffs, that arena would have had Sesame Street Live with shows on Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                                Who else bid?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the number of sites to choose from?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the quality of sites to choose from?

Is the NCAA satisfied with the location of sites to choose from? (i.e. enough out west?)

If the answer is "no" to any of those, what will change to make that a "yes"?

What feedback, if any, did it get from previous bidders that did not seek games this time (ie. Resch Center in Green Bay said not bidding because of xxxx)? If none, did the NCAA even ask, or will it?

Are there any of the requirements it is considering changing, based on the bids submitted, not submitted, feedback, etc?

Are there any format changes being considered, based on the bids submitted (or any other factor)?

Would it consider bids in the same city as an institution, but not in the home rink, in order to satisfy the neutral ice requirement? (i.e. the Coliseum in Madison instead of the Kohl Center, the other Omaha rink, etc)

Has attendance at the regionals or Frozen Four been a concern? If so, what will be done to address that? (site selection, ticket prices, game times, etc)
                                Good stuff. You have a couple on there I hadn't considered.

Comment

Working...
                                X