Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    There is no other system which guarantees the NCAA a 150K per site profit on the regionals. Add the whole business together, and I would be sure that the NCAA profits 1M on just the regionals.
    The $150K isn't straight profit for the NCAA. They need to cover travel expenses and hotel rooms for four teams. If the hotel rooms are double occupancy, they need about 450 room-nights per their bid specs. If the rooms are $150/night, that's $67,500 right there. If flights are involved, that's another significant expense. They also have to cover travel for their people and for D-I committee members.

So while the NCAA needs the guarantee, it's not just $150K in their pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
      The point is to have people show up and if you would have 2 games at the same spot instead of 1 at 2 different arenas you should be able to cut costs and increase attendance. The venues would need to be fairly close. Within a 30-40 mile radius. Not ideal but trying to look at different options.
      Sorry, I just don't get the reasoning. You're going to have both regional finals at one site? So one of the sites only has the two first-round games and that's it? What if the fans of the winning team haven't rented cars and can't get from one site to the other? What if they don't want to take public transportation (if it exists)? What if they just booked a hotel for two nights next to the arena where they plan to attend? Are they supposed to cancel the second night and move to another hotel? For one night? Or drive back to their original hotel? It just makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
        The $150K isn't straight profit for the NCAA. They need to cover travel expenses and hotel rooms for four teams. If the hotel rooms are double occupancy, they need about 450 room-nights per their bid specs. If the rooms are $150/night, that's $67,500 right there. If flights are involved, that's another significant expense. They also have to cover travel for their people and for D-I committee members.

So while the NCAA needs the guarantee, it's not just $150K in their pocket.
        $67,500 for hotels is about 11% of their 4 region guarantee. That's not much. But I do see your point.

My point is that those costs exist regardless of the system. If some teams are hosting, then there are no hotel rooms necessary for those teams, so there is some savings. But that doesn't really change the calculation. This system obviously is the one which is best for the NCAA $-wise. And, that's why it will stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
          $67,500 for hotels is about 11% of their 4 region guarantee. That's not much. But I do see your point.

My point is that those costs exist regardless of the system. If some teams are hosting, then there are no hotel rooms necessary for those teams, so there is some savings. But that doesn't really change the calculation. This system obviously is the one which is best for the NCAA $-wise. And, that's why it will stay.
          Uh, isn’t that $67k per regional?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Sorry, I just don't get the reasoning. You're going to have both regional finals at one site? So one of the sites only has the two first-round games and that's it? What if the fans of the winning team haven't rented cars and can't get from one site to the other? What if they don't want to take public transportation (if it exists)? What if they just booked a hotel for two nights next to the arena where they plan to attend? Are they supposed to cancel the second night and move to another hotel? For one night? Or drive back to their original hotel? It just makes no sense.
            First I would say 75% of the people drive to regionals. Uber is not that tough. Lastly, you make it sound like I want the arenas 150 miles apart. And yes, every other year an arena only gets one night. I would try this on a 4 year basis. Same sites. Each arena would get 6 nights instead of 8. Sick of seeing teams play in front of 3-4000 fans to go to the Frozen 4. If my teams not involved, I'm sure more willing to go to see 2 games at these prices, than one.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Maybe, but it still doesn't change the overall idea. No matter what hotels cost, or NCAA staffing, the result is going to be that....

As long as schools and arenas bid to host and guarantee them 150K, there is no other system which works out better for the NCAA than the current one. And, that is the reason there won't be any changes.

And, truthfully, I don't blame them. They are not making a killing, for sure. This is one tournament where they can at least have some profit. So, as long as it is available, why not?

Comment

UNH has figured a way to make it work as recurring Northeast Regional host in Manchester. We are fortunate to have a consistent crowd in the Queen City even when the host and Maine are not here.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X