Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    I haven't seen anyone on here complaining about running up the score. We're discussing the excessive celebrations while running up the score.
    Post #152. It was more a case of Slap Shot saying when do they ever care about GD, and thus implying they did not need to run up the score. I provided the possibility they could stumble against Sweden, and thus do need to worry about GD.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      The next Freddy Adu?
      The definition of bust.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Did they celebrate a little bit in excess to get the attention of media that would usually just pretend this tournament isn't happening? I don't know about motive, but I know the result will be increased attention on the tournament in this country and hopefully elsewhere as well.
        ?

The media is saturated with coverage of the WWC. It has nothing to do with the team or the sport, it's the "U! S! A!" dopes who expect to win; you can sell a lot of crap to them. But my god there's wall to wall coverage of the WWC around here at least, and it is hideously stupid.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          The definition of bust.
          Bust or cynical hype?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            ?

The media is saturated with coverage of the WWC. It has nothing to do with the team or the sport, it's the "U! S! A!" dopes who expect to win; you can sell a lot of crap to them. But my god there's wall to wall coverage of the WWC around here at least, and it is hideously stupid.
            I've heard plenty of talk but I choose to listen to outlets that cover it. This celebration thing has been on every national show and a lot of local shows that normally wouldn't touch women's soccer.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Post #152. It was more a case of Slap Shot saying when do they ever care about GD, and thus implying they did not need to run up the score. I provided the possibility they could stumble against Sweden, and thus do need to worry about GD.
              And I countered there are two recent examples of the US making the WC final (going 1-1) despite having very low GD in the group stage.

But for the sake of moving forward I'll ignore that argument hereafter and maintain my stronger feeling that the celebrations toward the end got a bit out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                And I countered there are two recent examples of the US making the WC final (going 1-1) despite having very low GD in the group stage.

But for the sake of moving forward I'll ignore that argument hereafter and maintain my stronger feeling that the celebrations toward the end got a bit out of hand.
                But you did it by listing the goal differential of the other group leaders. That has no bearing on the US, and GD doesn’t matter after group play.

I will agree they could have put the coordinated celebrations away once double digits hit, but it’s not their fault Thailand gave up.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  But you did it by listing the goal differential of the other group leaders. That has no bearing on the US, and GD doesn’t matter after group play.

I will agree they could have put the coordinated celebrations away once double digits hit, but it’s not their fault Thailand gave up.
                  That was Group Play GD that I referenced and I listed the other leaders to demonstrate the fact the despite the US only being +3 and +4 (and being much lower that a few other group winners) in those 2 WCs they still made the final. And if it has no bearing after group play than who gives a rip?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    It was Group Play GD that I referenced and I listed the other leaders to demonstrate the fact the despite the US only being +3 and +4 in those 2 WCs they still made the final.
                    Its hard to compare with the expanded world cup. We have no idea how this group will play out but its possible GD will determine the group winner.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Its hard to compare with the expanded world cup. We have no idea how this group will play out but its possible GD will determine the group winner.
                      This wasn't Thailand's first WC trip and Ivory Coast was a -13 in 2015, Ecuador was -16 so this isn't a new phenomena. Japan won the 2011 WC but didn't win their group (6 pts to 7 for England).

If you insist on harping on this point oh well, but I'm really less interested in the score than their celebrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Fair enough.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Mookie went and got a home U’Jpest Jersey today. Can’t wait to follow the Hungarian premier these season
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Mookie went and got a home U’Jpest Jersey today. Can’t wait to follow the Hungarian premier these season
                            It's not the best kit ever.

Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Got the purple white verticals

Comment

Lotta nascar.

Tyler and Joe got themselves Czech hockey sweaters too with the ad overload

Comment

Working...
                                X