Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Why? Mayotte has been the chief recruiter the last few years and Rolston is a former NHL head coach.

Not too many former NHL coaches out there coming down to college hockey.
    This program is beyond Rolston as it's head coach. He didn't impress me in the pros as a coach and the boy are coming to play for Leaman so Mayotte may be a good recruiter but I doubt they'd be coming to play for him.

Comment

Anyone have any ideas on the schedule. Why is it always a mystery well after other teams seem to have posted their schedule or at least most of it?

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        Anyone have any ideas on the schedule. Why is it always a mystery well after other teams seem to have posted their schedule or at least most of it?
        With the schedules released so far of NCHC and (maybe) WCHA as well, I'm thinking OOC is going to consist of Atlantic and ECAC games mostly. Haven't dug through too many of those first-mentioned conferences for open dates PC could fit in.

Comment

This program is beyond Rolston as it's head coach. He didn't impress me in the pros as a coach and the boy are coming to play for Leaman so Mayotte may be a good recruiter but I doubt they'd be coming to play for him.
          Leaman had one NCAA appearance and zero NCAA wins before coming to PC.

Rolston coached college hockey from 1990-2004 at some big time winning programs including Lake Superior State in the early 90's, BC in the early 2000's, and then USDNTP from 2004-2011 before heading into the AHL/NHL mix. I just feel he has the experience more than Mayotte does.

The schedule thing has to be Sacred Heart and Holy Cross returning visits while a road game at AIC could happen?
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            Leaman had one NCAA appearance and zero NCAA wins before coming to PC.

Rolston coached college hockey from 1990-2004 at some big time winning programs including Lake Superior State in the early 90's, BC in the early 2000's, and then USDNTP from 2004-2011 before heading into the AHL/NHL mix. I just feel he has the experience more than Mayotte does.

The schedule thing has to be Sacred Heart and Holy Cross returning visits while a road game at AIC could happen?
            Union won with Leaman's recruits. Since coming to PC he was won a national championship and been to the Frozen Four twice. Rolston may have extensive experience but I said it was his lack of success that didn't wow me. Mayotte doesn't wow me either. I would be shocked if either of the assistants was the best that PC hockey could get if Leaman jumped to the NHL.

Thank you for your input on the schedule. I'd like to see better than Sacred Heart, Holy Cross and AIC on the schedule despite AIC's NCAA appearance last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
              With the schedules released so far of NCHC and (maybe) WCHA as well, I'm thinking OOC is going to consist of Atlantic and ECAC games mostly. Haven't dug through too many of those first-mentioned conferences for open dates PC could fit in.
              The non-conference schedule will continue to consist of Atlantic Hockey and ECAC as long as the Big Ten refuses to play OOC games on the road, this has been a issue.

Comment

Union won with Leaman's recruits. Since coming to PC he was won a national championship and been to the Frozen Four twice. Rolston may have extensive experience but I said it was his lack of success that didn't wow me. Mayotte doesn't wow me either. I would be shocked if either of the assistants was the best that PC hockey could get if Leaman jumped to the NHL.

Thank you for your input on the schedule. I'd like to see better than Sacred Heart, Holy Cross and AIC on the schedule despite AIC's NCAA appearance last year.
                I always hate this argument ... Coach Y won with Coach X's recruits. .... First of all, Coach X didn't win with his recruits. So Coach Y has already done better.

Second - Bennett was on the staff, meaning he also recruited them.

Third - Bennett didn't win the NC until Year 3 - meaning he had plenty of his own recruits in there as well.

Fourth - Union never had a 20-win season until the last two years under Leaman. They have won 20 games each of the last three years, including an NCAA bid, with Bennett as coach and all of his recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernFriar View Post
                  The non-conference schedule will continue to consist of Atlantic Hockey and ECAC as long as the Big Ten refuses to play OOC games on the road, this has been a issue.
                  Absolutely right. Leaman expressed this point earlier this season regarding the challenges in scheduling. What the Big Ten does is bad for college hockey.

Understand PC will also be playing in that big tourney in Minnesota next season - Minnesota, Minn-Duluth, etc.
                  Last edited by chrisP; 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                    Absolutely right. Leaman expressed this point earlier this season regarding the challenges in scheduling. What the Big Ten does is bad for college hockey.

Understand PC will also be playing in that big tourney in Minnesota next season - Minnesota, Minn-Duluth, etc.
                    Are you referring to the Mariucci Classic or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
                      Are you referring to the Mariucci Classic or something else?
                      Sorry about that - its the 2020 Ice Breaker Tournament with Minn., Minn. State, & Minn.-Duluth

Comment

totally get the scheduling issue- BU having the same problem
                        In fact had to schedule 2 with Northern Michigan to have enough home games
                        Teams schedule games trying to figure out pairwise in advance
                        Wisconsin plays at BC but second game is at Merrimack- hoping to come out with a win
                        Doesn't always work as north Dakota loss to Canisius cost them an NCAA berth

Tough for top teams to schedule with NCHC and Big Ten'
                        Costs also a factor

Comment

I thought Denver was returning next season to Schneider as part of a home and home over 2 years. Apparently not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                            I thought Denver was returning next season to Schneider as part of a home and home over 2 years. Apparently not the case?
                            The series started with Denver playing at PC two years ago. Last year at Denver was the final piece of the home and home.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                              The series started with Denver playing at PC two years ago. Last year at Denver was the final piece of the home and home.
                              The trip to Denver this year was the start of a four year deal with Denver, which also involves BC. The Eagles are going there next year and then Denver is slated to come east and play both PC and BC during the 2020-21 season. Information on next year's schedule should start to come together in next several weeks.

During one of our coaches shows this season, Nate Leaman said that a number of schools don't want to play a home and home with Providence. They would rather schedule home and home series with certain Hockey East schools they feel they will beat. This year Wisconsin comes to Merrimack after they traveled there....Wisconsin and North Dakota haven't played at PC since 1989-it was 1987 that Minnesota made its last trip. Michigan and Michigan State have never played at PC. Many WCHA teams use much of their travel budget for league games...so you are left with ECAC and Atlantic Hockey making up a large portion of PC's non-conference slate. Leaman has had success with some NCHC schools-he is asking just not having much luck.
                              Last edited by MikeLogan; 04-30-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLogan View Post
                                The trip to Denver this year was the start of a four year deal with Denver, which also involves BC. The Eagles are going there next year and then Denver is slated to come east and play both PC and BC during the 2020-21 season. Information on next year's schedule should start to come together in next several weeks.

During one of our coaches shows this season, Nate Leaman said that a number of schools don't want to play a home and home with Providence. They would rather schedule home and home series with certain Hockey East schools they feel they will beat. This year Wisconsin comes to Merrimack after they traveled there....Wisconsin and North Dakota haven't played at PC since 1989-it was 1987 that Minnesota made its last trip. Michigan and Michigan State have never played at PC. Many WCHA teams use much of their travel budget for league games...so you are left with ECAC and Atlantic Hockey making up a large portion of PC's non-conference slate. Leaman has had success with some NCHC schools-he is asking just not having much luck.
                                The way I read that means Denver is coming in during the 2020-2021 and the 2021-2022 season for a single game at BC and PC.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X