Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...recruiting.php

I didn't read every detail but even if this still isn't perfect, standing ovation from me. Let's reign this thing in.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...recruiting.php

I didn't read every detail but even if this still isn't perfect, standing ovation from me. Let's reign this thing in.
    Yup.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

And now if we could just put the clamp down on allowing 21 year old freshmen...

Comment

And now if we could just put the clamp down on allowing 21 year old freshmen...
        yaaaawn

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
          yaaaawn
          Oh I'm sorry to bore you. Cuz you know, every other collegiate sport has this thing where schools bring in 21 year old freshmen. Oh wait, they don't. It's only a hockey thing.

Comment

From a pure morality standpoint, these are home-run rule changes that I endorse wholeheartedly.

My fear is this: How are the vultures from the Canadian major junior leagues going to exploit this?
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry to bore you. Cuz you know, every other collegiate sport has this thing where schools bring in 21 year old freshmen. Oh wait, they don't. It's only a hockey thing.
              And?
              Some sports have different rules.
              College baseball has one where you can't leave till after your junior year.
              Hockey is the only one where guys can be drafted and have rights owned by teams while in school for more than just the end of it.
              Deal with it.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                yaaaawn
                What do you object to about that?

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                  From a pure morality standpoint, these are home-run rule changes that I endorse wholeheartedly.

My fear is this: How are the vultures from the Canadian major junior leagues going to exploit this?
                  If they push back the CHL eligibility cut-off to 21 then there will be plenty of problems for certain programs like Clarkson who dip into Canada a lot, for the college programs that dump resources into their hockey and have Power 5 conference facilities and money I just don't see it meaning much. Development has become a huge hurdle for the CHL, less and less NHL rosters are being filled out with major junior guys, obviously the first round talents will still be playing there in most scenarios but the depth of those leagues suffer. It seems a lot of the lesser known major junior organizations struggle to maintain a home and certain ones struggle with being profitable, the big boys like London or Portland won't go away, those are great organizations to develop in but the league as a whole isn't and there's no guarantee to where you're playing unless you're good enough and dictate the terms. Before the season the CHL lifted their ban on European imports for goalies, they are starting to become more aware of the fact college hockey has taken over as the best development path for early bloomers and late so there's no doubt in my mind they'll make a change and soon.

Just look at the last few kids that have decided to pass on their Clarkson commitment to make the jump to the CHL (names mentioned below), now obviously these kids aren't the Fabbro/Jost/Makar types but when they were recruited they were seen as difference maker type recruits for our program, the elite talent that is one or two years and done will still pick college if things keep progressing as they are. The Savoie kid who was not granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada recently committed to Denver, he's probably going to be one or two his draft year and yes I know it's a long time from that point but this kid is just that good, if he somehow sticks and continues all these elite Canadian prospects that value education business could be booming in that regard. :

Colton Kehler, now playing Canadian College Hockey, probably would've been a sophomore at CU - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../colton-kehler

Liam Ham, very solid OHL player but soon will be pushed into the pro ranks, probably too early IMO - https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201669/liam-ham

Isaac Langdon, was actually heavily sought after and has a definite shot of playing pro hockey - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../isaac-langdon

The point I'm trying to make here is there is always going to be a good path, you just need to surround yourself with people you can trust and not get convinced into a situation that's not best for that individual. With the current state of "adviors" I don't really think this new rule will be all that important, yes in theory it's nice but this isn't a cash cow sport for the NCAA and there will be millions of ways to have contact potential recruiters through secondary sources, I just hope they actually follow through and police it.
                  Last edited by techtodenver; 04-19-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I am sure the the NCAA spent a bunch of time consulting with others and thinking this through before they did it. However, so few players actually go straight from school to college in this sport. The rule changes will have little or no impact. Even the most desirable recruits are "committed" while in high school and then advised to play in a Junior league somewhere for a year or two to develop. In Canada, most hockey players still see the CHL as the fast track to pro hockey for the better players or the early developers. For the late bloomers, most Canadians see the tier 2 route to NCAA as the way to continue their development on the way to an education. I think that it is important to remember that the majority of the kids who go the CJHL/USHL/NAHL route have a realistic view of their talent and skill. Lots of them are looking to continue their hockey to see where it takes them while getting a good education for their future when they stall in hockey. I would guess that most of the kids in ECAC are more focused on the education component than the hockey component. Or at least they are equal. As long as the junior hockey programs continue to develop strong talent, why would the schools take 18 year olds when they can wait for 21 year olds and let someone else develop them. There aren't many 2nd and 3rd line 18 year olds that are better than 2nd and 3rd liners that 21 year olds. 21 year old Freshman are not going away anytime soon.

Comment

It would be interesting to know what the overlap is between the NC$$ and the CHL. My impression when I was out west was WHL athletes were very much not academically-oriented.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Top liners who think they have a good shot at pro hockey often follow the CHL path from the outset. A few top liners will go the NCAA route. However, most of the bottom 6 forwards or bottom 4 D will go to the CHL if they are not academically focused. Those with decent grades that are not top liners generally see the NCAA path as more practical for many reasons. Many of the kids in the W would have a difficult time getting into many of the NCAA schools. But there are some good hockey players that are good students playing CHL. They know that they can play university hockey in Canada if it doesn't work out. Lots of Canadian kids would rather go to a Canadian university. And CIS hockey is probably better hockey than many of the NCAA programs. CIS is full of aged out ex guys from the W and the O and the QM. It is good strong hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by islander98 View Post
                          Top liners who think they have a good shot at pro hockey often follow the CHL path from the outset. A few top liners will go the NCAA route. However, most of the bottom 6 forwards or bottom 4 D will go to the CHL if they are not academically focused. Those with decent grades that are not top liners generally see the NCAA path as more practical for many reasons. Many of the kids in the W would have a difficult time getting into many of the NCAA schools. But there are some good hockey players that are good students playing CHL. They know that they can play university hockey in Canada if it doesn't work out. Lots of Canadian kids would rather go to a Canadian university. And CIS hockey is probably better hockey than many of the NCAA programs. CIS is full of aged out ex guys from the W and the O and the QM. It is good strong hockey.
                          This is a very good rule change. It’s a good start to much needed reforms in college hockey.

It’s pathetic that D3 schools are taking 21 year old freshman. The kids are just being used and abused in the name of parity. MLB has it right, either sign out of high school or we will see how you develop the next 3 years in college. None of these kids want to play junior hockey for more than a year. They all want to get to college ASAP. Give the college game back to the college age kids. It’s better for a less talented kid to graduate at age 21 and then develop in the minor leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            And?
                            Some sports have different rules.
                            College baseball has one where you can't leave till after your junior year.
                            Hockey is the only one where guys can be drafted and have rights owned by teams while in school for more than just the end of it.
                            Deal with it.
                            Obviously different sports are going to have different rules. Draft rules have nothing to do with the age of players. I don't think there are rules in other sports preventing 21 year old freshmen from playing but the fact of the matter is it just doesn't happen. I have dealt with this issue for many years now. That doesn't mean I have to like it or think it's ok. I think it's ridiculous to potentially have a 24 year old senior playing against an 18 year old freshman. There are many people like you who don't care. So be it.

Comment

Obviously different sports are going to have different rules. Draft rules have nothing to do with the age of players. I don't think there are rules in other sports preventing 21 year old freshmen from playing but the fact of the matter is it just doesn't happen. I have dealt with this issue for many years now. That doesn't mean I have to like it or think it's ok. I think it's ridiculous to potentially have a 24 year old senior playing against an 18 year old freshman. There are many people like you who don't care. So be it.
                              I believe there are some colleges who have 24 year old players in football. BYU comes to mind.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                              X