Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

Originally posted by broncoinak View Post
    I was curious about who was really behind this change because I saw people on mgoblog whining about it being a small school effort. But then Michigan fans will whine about literally anything rather than blaming their own program for their shortcomings.

I do enjoy how you continue to call 25 year old players "ridiculous" despite all the evidence to the contrary. Maybe if you say it enough someone might believe you.
    What evidence to the contrary - that there are non-athletes enrolled past the age of 25? Apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Maybe this whole age-thing is moot. I was surprised to read that roughly 38% of American undergraduate college students are over 25...

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372
      I dont think those stats are for undergraduate but rather "Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions"....a huge percentage of those 25 years old and older are probably masters and PHD Students.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        If we went back and limited to a certain age ... saying 19 years old as a freshman (one year out of high school max) ... don't you think it would actually hurt college hockey. There's a finite amount of kids that can come up and play as 18 year olds. They'd continue to get recruited by the "elite" programs. The same applies to 19. So now you've got the "elites" and the next level down that are recruiting them. IMHO, the next level of player down is then getting recruited by programs that will never have a shot to do anything because there really aren't enough 18/19 year old freshmen ready to play DI hockey. That causes a) a talent problem for college hockey which b) results in a worse NCAA DI experience for viewers.

Again, this is all IMHO.
        18/19 year old freshman arent ready to play D1 hockey because its full of 22, 23, 24 year old players....thats the debate. If age limits happened you would have 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 year olds in NCAA hockey and 18/19 year olds would then be ready to play upon arrival on campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          I dont think those stats are for undergraduate but rather "Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions"....a huge percentage of those 25 years old and older are probably masters and PHD Students.
          There have been like 5 other sources posted here that are just undergrads and all a higher percentage than the percentage of 25+ college hockey players.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            I'm constantly amazed to see how many schools have over 30 commitments for the next four seasons already.
            Wisconsin has 41 total players (commits and returning rostered) for 2020/21 season. FORTY ONE.
            Last edited by Lemonade; 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              Wisconsin has 41 total players (commits and returning rostered) for 2020/21 season. FORTY ONE.
              Row well and live.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                This is incorrect. They have a lot, but it's 37 as of now.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I believe I saw 39 on Wisconsin post and that was with 2 out of 4 goalie spots empty. Even at 37 thats ridiculous. Still only 18 scholarships.
                  Last edited by Lemonade; 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    Lol still ridiculous

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      What evidence to the contrary - that there are non-athletes enrolled past the age of 25? Apples and oranges.
                      They're either college aged or they're not, dude. Your feelings on how "ridiculous" or "absurd" it is are meaningless. The fact, as shown earlier in the thread, is that fewer hockey players are 25+ than non-athletes among full time undergraduates. You're gonna need a new argument. Maybe try being honest? Its OK to say "I only care about this because it would help my program win games".

Comment

I believe I saw 39 on Wisconsin post and that was with 2 out of 4 goalie spots empty. Even at 37 thats ridiculous. Still only 18 scholarships.
                        Never said it wasn't and I don't disagree. Just wanted it to be correct.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by broncoinak View Post
                          They're either college aged or they're not, dude. Your feelings on how "ridiculous" or "absurd" it is are meaningless. The fact, as shown earlier in the thread, is that fewer hockey players are 25+ than non-athletes among full time undergraduates. You're gonna need a new argument. Maybe try being honest? Its OK to say "I only care about this because it would help my program win games".
                          Settle down buddy. When did I type, "ridiculous" or "absurd" in this thread? Also the program I follow wins far more often than not already and will always be that way no matter the rules. I've already said I don't feel strongly about this topic but if I read a weak argument I don't mind speaking out against them. I repeat my counter to some of them is that there being non-athlete students aged 25+ has nothing to do with the ages of actual student-athletes, and since the vast, vast majority of all student athletes are not 25+ why is hockey different and what makes it ok? What is better for the overall game? I do feel having athletes that age lessens the college game but it doesn't pain me enough to abandon the sport nor stop cheering for my program nor the sport itself.

I will take the low road for one moment though and say to you maybe try being honest? Its OK to say, "I only care about this because it would help my sh**y program win games".

Comment

18/19 year old freshman arent ready to play D1 hockey because its full of 22, 23, 24 year old players....thats the debate. If age limits happened you would have 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 year olds in NCAA hockey and 18/19 year olds would then be ready to play upon arrival on campus.
                            While I commend you on your attempt to focus the debate on an argument that supports your perspective, I respectfully disagree. The debate is whether having 21 year old freshman is good for college hockey. I am certain that the premier programs will always get the best of the younger players, if they want them. But you acknowledge that those star 18 year olds have a difficult time playing against the 24 year olds. Then why not leave them in Junior for a year or two more, then they can compete and possibly excel? Wouldn't this then lead to even better quality of play for the elite programs?

The reason that the supporters of the elite programs don't like the 21 year old freshman is because it evens the playing field. It creates more parity in the leagues thereby leading to more competitive games and more enjoyment for the fans. The smaller programs have a reasonable opportunity to win because they have adapted WITHIN the rules and focused on playing to their strengths. They can offer older players who may have developed a bit later than the stars, a quality education and a chance to play the game they love. Isn't that what college sports are about? The parity is a positive thing. Maybe the elite programs need to recruit better so that they sign hockey players who have no interest in their education and are only using college as a development ground to go pro. At the first sniff of a chance to play pro, they leave because they were not there for the education in the first place. In my humble opinion, those elite players who are only using college hockey to further their HOCKEY careers with no interest in education, should stay in Junior hockey. I liek the parity that the current situation creates. It makes the hockey more fun for more people. my two pennies
                            Last edited by islander98; 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

The big programs don't want their talent to play another year of junior hockey and get stronger / older because it is another year for "advisers" to get in their ear and convince them to skip NCAA hockey completely and play major junior or turn pro.

Ryan
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Congrats to BU on getting the first '05 commit. Only a few days left to get these worthless verbal commits in!

Comment

Working...
                                X