MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
    When's the last time a MIAC team was relevant? Agree with @ExileOnDaytonStreet that this conference is a joke.
    On the women's side totally different. St Thomas is in there most years.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      On the women's side totally different. St Thomas is in there most years.
      And Hamline recently has been very good since Darwitz arrived.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

More local coverage....

http://www.startribune.com/if-miac-d...ted/509992312/
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
          pay walled. can you give us the Cliff Notes version?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I can see it. You must have used up your free Star Tribune articles for the month. Clear your cookies.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

They could explore joining the WIAC if they want to remain in DIII.

Being a DIII independent in many sports is hard because it is tough to create a schedule.

They could move to DII, which requires they find a conference and it takes a three year transition period (actually the article missed the fact that it could take another year if the fail any of the stages in the transition program, which is not uncommon).

Moving to DI requires being a full time member of DII for 5 years, plus a 4 year transition period and an invitation to join a conference.

Mostly it just quoted the NCAA transition rules.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                They could explore joining the WIAC if they want to remain in DIII.

Being a DIII independent in many sports is hard because it is tough to create a schedule.

They could move to DII, which requires they find a conference and it takes a three year transition period (actually the article missed the fact that it could take another year if the fail any of the stages in the transition program, which is not uncommon).

Moving to DI requires being a full time member of DII for 5 years, plus a 4 year transition period and an invitation to join a conference.

Mostly it just quoted the NCAA transition rules.
                To be honest, it WAS the “cliff notes” version of St. Thomas’s options within current NCAA rules, which is a valuable form of journalism. I read it, and I thought it was well done!
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The WIAC would be a great fit for St. Thomas, particularly in football and hockey.

As a side note, I’ve always been curious why College of St Scholastica doesn’t seek membership in the MIAC. CSS moving to the MIAC would certainly help tidy up travel for the rest of the NCHA (and themselves.)
                  Last edited by altazo; 05-19-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    The WIAC would be a great fit for St. Thomas, particularly in football and hockey.

As a side note, I’ve always been curious why College of St Scholastica doesn’t seek membership in the MIAC. CSS moving to the MIAC would certainly help tidy up travel for the rest of the NCHA (and themselves.)
                    Because they feel superior?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Because they feel superior?
                      In what way?

Academically, schools like St Olaf, Gustavus Adolphus and Carleton blow the doors off CSS. Athletically, I can’t think of one sport where CSS would be clearly stronger than the rest of the MIAC.
                      Last edited by altazo; 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                        In what way?

Academically, schools like St Olaf, Gustavus Adolphus and Carleton blow the doors off CSS. Athletically, I can’t think of one sport where CSS would be clearly stronger than the rest of the MIAC.
                        Joe loves his puns, and was likely referring to the fact that the city of Duluth is next to Superior, WI. I interpreted Joe’s post to mean that CSS wouldn’t want to join the MIAC because they more identify with the Wisconsin side of the border.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                          Joe loves his puns, and was likely referring to the fact that the city of Duluth is next to Superior, WI. I interpreted Joe’s post to mean that CSS wouldn’t want to join the MIAC because they more identify with the Wisconsin side of the border.
                          Yeah, CSS is in Duluth which is the furthest west inland port on Lake Superior. I get that.

But I’ve also always wondered why they haven’t seeked membership in the MIAC.

Way, way back Minnesota-Duluth was in the MIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            We take ourselves way too seriously here and need levity to defuse tensions. Sometimes the puns go over like a lead balloon, they miss the mark completely, or they get the expected guffaw.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Likely announcement today that UST will be leaving the MIAC, according to news report in Minneapolis paper...
                              SNC Men:
                              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                              SNC Women:
                              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

The Star Tribune states that the announcement expected at the top of the hour is that St. Thomas is involuntarily leaving the MIAC by Spring 2021, with their destination still unknown.

Comment

Working...
                                X