Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    All people. That cathedral means more to this old atheist than to most Christians and even most Catholics.
    I remember going to the Vatican on a high school trip. Yes the religious importance of the building is obvious, but to me it was seeing this place that had been standing for centuries. I brought my grandmother home a rosary made out of crushed rose petals by nuns in the Vatican. My mother was horrified. "We're not Catholic!" I didn't buy it for religious symbolism, I bought it because it was a lovely piece of jewelry that my grandmother would enjoy.

Similarly with this, there was a writer on the news talking about the carvings that adorned the cathedral. He said that whenever he walked past and looked at the artwork he could envision the craftsmen who sculpted and chiseled 800 years ago. All that history lost.
    Last edited by ticapnews; 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Really. It's a very important building to me and to many people who value high culture.

At the end of the day, humans have done, like, twelve things that have ennobled the species. Going to the moon is the big one. Greek philosophy is one of them. And Gothic cathedrals are one of them.

Chartres is the queen, but Notre Dame is a very important one as well, not to mention the rest of its historical significance. This is like losing the Colosseum and St. Peter's in one shot.
      I agree with Kep. It's one of the older pieces of history still alive today. Gorgeous building (from what I've seen in pics, never had the pleasure of seeing it in person). It is something to behold.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That’s just it. It’s a cultural center of France also, not just a church

Comment

Someone check to see where Judge Claude Frollo is! Surely he is responsible for starting this fire, given that he's the original incel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            That’s just it. It’s a cultural center of France also, not just a church
            The cathedral's age is almost incomprehensible to us. When Henry IV said "Paris vaut une messe," Notre Dame was already 410 years old.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The cathedral's age is almost incomprehensible to us. When Henry IV said "Paris vaut une messe," Notre Dame was already 410 years old.
              I've seen old churches....you know, 100~ some years old...then you think of something like Notre Dame...as you say, it's incomprehensible.....thinking back to those times when it was built, heck when it even still existed through all the turmoil...amazing. Makes this tragedy cut that much deeper.

For those who don't necessarily get it (not ripping you, hoping you'll understand): Burn the Mona Lisa. That's my equivalent.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                I agree with Kep. It's one of the older pieces of history still alive today. Gorgeous building (from what I've seen in pics, never had the pleasure of seeing it in person). It is something to behold.
                It's also visible from a fairly large part of central Paris because it is not just on an island but right on the edge of it. You can see the bell towers from a really long section of the Seine.

It's a huge landmark in humanist culture, as it is right up against the Latin Quarter -- saying something is "gauche" comes from the fact of the student ghetto being on the right bank of the Seine relative to the cathedral. All the little book stalls and bars throughout the quarter are (1) militant atheist, and (2) will beat you like a Belgian if you say one word against the great lady of their city.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It predates any non-earthen structure in this hemisphere.... That's the mind boggling part....

Edit: Well, in North/South America... I'm sure there is probably something in Western Britain that meets that mark...
                  Last edited by RaceBoarder; 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

All people. That cathedral means more to this old atheist than to most Christians and even most Catholics.
                    I don't know about "all", as I'm sure there are some that would feel otherwise. However, I'm happy to see there are others who admire Gothic architecture. I just wish we were a bit more creative in design these days, as those concrete box buildings are just plain sad, and some of the funky stuff out there really doesn't make much sense.

Argh, looks like there's some... https://summit.news/2019/04/15/buzzf...tre-dame-fire/

And another... https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...dral-in-paris/
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 04-15-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Yeah, I'm sure there are some (read: Muslims) who are cheering on the fire.

Once again, seriously, FVCK YOU Flag! You whined that you weren't welcome here, and you were absolutely right. So why are you still here?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I just wish we were a bit more creative in design these days, as those concrete box buildings are just plain sad, and some of the funky stuff out there really doesn't make much sense.
                        Ruskin said "Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts: the book of their deeds, the book of their words, and the book of their art. Not one of these books can be understood unless we read the two others, but of the three the only trustworthy one is the last."

Gothic cathedrals bespeak the "discarded image" of Medieval civilization. They are sublime, laborious, and extremely optimistic.

Our buildings bespeak our civilization: bloodless, Benthamesque, knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

We get the buildings we deserve.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Kenneth Clark said a civilization writes its story in three books: its art, its literature its architecture. But you can only trust its architecture to tell you the truth.

Gothic cathedrals bespeak the "discarded image" of Medieval civilization. They are sublime, laborious, and extremely optimistic.

Our buildings bespeak our civilization: bloodless, Benthamesque, knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

When I first was travelling through Calumet (UP of MI) I was in awe of the churches. They were only 100-150 years old (educated guess), and they were beautiful. I don't know specific styles of architecture, it was never a subject that appealed to me, but I know what I like. Notre Dame was one of the pinnacles of beauty in my eyes. It was, in the original definition, awe-ful. There are really no words in seeing something like that.

Comment

@Eloraillere: Le père Fournier, aumônier des @PompiersParis, est allé avec des pompiers dans la cathédrale #NotreDame pour sauver la couronne d’épines et le Saint-Sacrement... https://***********/Eloraillere/stat...714177/photo/1

----

@Eloraillere: Father Fournier, chaplain of the @PompiersParis (Paris Firefighters), went with firefighters in the cathedral #NotreDame to save the crown of thorns and the Blessed Sacrament ...
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              @Eloraillere: Le père Fournier, aumônier des @PompiersParis, est allé avec des pompiers dans la cathédrale #NotreDame pour sauver la couronne d’épines et le Saint-Sacrement... https://***********/Eloraillere/stat...714177/photo/1

----

@Eloraillere: Father Fournier, chaplain of the @PompiersParis (Paris Firefighters), went with firefighters in the cathedral #NotreDame to save the crown of thorns and the Blessed Sacrament ...
                              Oh man, if they could save those......

Comment

Ruskin said "Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts: the book of their deeds, the book of their words, and the book of their art. Not one of these books can be understood unless we read the two others, but of the three the only trustworthy one is the last."

Amen to this. I know, when driving around here, I love to see the spires and domes on some of the older buildings. And I have to agree that art is part of the "truth", as I just don't plain understand Jackson Pollock at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X