No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Just saw one of the live feeds where it appears that the fire has gotten into one of the bell towers... Which were recently restored.

Comment

Has anyone heard whether the cathedral was open for tourists today, or whether it was closed due to the construction? It seems like there should have been people around about the time it started.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Has anyone heard whether the cathedral was open for tourists today, or whether it was closed due to the construction? It seems like there should have been people around about the time it started.
        What I heard was that it was partially open, being Holy Week.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Given the renovations and all the scaffolding, I'm going to believe this was a terrible, terrible accident until proven otherwise.
          Gotta agree.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I can hear church bells. I wonder if they are ringing them from the other churches to say goodbye.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              While I have been there, it never dawned on me that there was so much wood until you see it burning. So much, that there was little hope to really put it out...
              I clicked one of the live feed links (I think dX or sic posted) and it was CBS News; the person talking was commenting how some of the stone work was merely plaster covered timbers molded and painted so it resembled stone work.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                ... plaster covered timbers molded and painted so it resembled stone work.
                Oh my.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Just heard on MSNBC radio (still at work listening on XM) (also, I assume it's a simulcast of the TV feed) that *the* crown of thorns that Jesus wore were inside.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Stupid hindsight question but during construction of this magnitude wouldn't you move out the valuables to somewhere safe?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Just heard on MSNBC radio (still at work listening on XM) (also, I assume it's a simulcast of the TV feed) that *the* crown of thorns that Jesus wore were inside.
                      I thought that was in Saint Chappelle.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Stupid hindsight question but during construction of this magnitude wouldn't you move out the valuables to somewhere safe?
                        Based on the huge volume of that, and that it's currently Holy Week- it would be hard to take all of that out. More so for the art and antiquities that are permanently attached....

Comment

Watching the CBS coverage- they mentioned that the fire is deep into the underground, and based on the fear of collapse- the fire fighters are keeping their distance.

Paris needs a big spring rain shower. In part to represent the entire country crying....

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            I would assume (and I definitely could be wrong), but if construction doesnt effect the cathedral where it's still an active, working building especially during Lent and now Holy Week, then no, they likely didn't move them from the property. If anything, some artifacts/art pieces were removed from the construction zone and moved elsewhere within the building.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Trump suggests using air tankers to put out the fire. Because as everyone knows, the best way to save a weakened structure is by dropping hundreds of thousands of pounds of water on it all at once.

Comment

sad
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X