No announcement yet.

Headline News Thread II: Meanwhile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread II: Meanwhile...

Comment

"It was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope."

Who knew Dump had a Canadian cousin?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        They know their audience.

When I lived there in the 80s the Globe ran a story on 2 local yahoos who died in an earthquake in Turkey. Something like 5000 others died. That, the name of the city, and the date of the event were not mentioned in the article but I learned the guy was an avid train photographer.

Boston is the most parochial place on earth. It makes North Korea look cosmopolitan.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

At what point does Xi "send in the tanks"?

Comment

With the US having its head firmly lodged in its rectum, if they want to this is the time to do it.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              They know their audience.

When I lived there in the 80s the Globe ran a story on 2 local yahoos who died in an earthquake in Turkey. Something like 5000 others died. That, the name of the city, and the date of the event were not mentioned in the article but I learned the guy was an avid train photographer.

Boston is the most parochial place on earth. It makes North Korea look cosmopolitan.
              From my Dad's experiences with the Boston press to reading Bill Veeck's "Thirty Tons a Day", to haveing one of my kids play junior and college hockey in the Boston area, I associate myself with your remarks.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                From my Dad's experiences with the Boston press to reading Bill Veeck's "Thirty Tons a Day", to haveing one of my kids play junior and college hockey in the Boston area, I associate myself with your remarks.
                Holy crap, I didn't know that. Which college did he play for?
                Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Holy crap, I didn't know that. Which college did he play for?
                  A D3 North Shore university coached by a former BU defenseman.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

[Illinois] controversial felony murder rule under microscope after Lake County shooting

Here's an interesting story. Six teenaged boys take a ride to the suburbs from the city of Chicago and go prowling some sleepy neighborhoods. Around 1 A.M., while in the suburbs, they attempt to break into a 75 year old gentleman's car. Gentleman faces the boys and tells them to leave. One boy approaches the homeowner with a knife; homeowner, defending himself, fires his weapon injuring the boy.

The six kids then get into an SUV and drive off. They approach an officer in a neighboring city and one boy along with the mortally injured boy get out to get assistance from a police officer. The other four boys flee in the SUV. Police pursue the SUV, find out it was stolen a week earlier from a different neighboring city, and chase the boys back to Chicago where they ran out of gas and were apprehended. The injured boy died due to the gunshot wounds.

Now, here's the twist. Under (an aggressive) Illinois law, Lake County prosecutors are charging the five boys with Felony Murder of the sixth boy, even though he was shot by the homeowner. Reason being had the boys not gone out that night for the B&E, the boy wouldn't have been shot.

The homeowner has not been charged as he was defending himself.

Illinois is one of the few states who allow trumped up felony charges to be attached to minor cases as a deterant to committing those petty crimes.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      [Illinois] controversial felony murder rule under microscope after Lake County shooting

Here's an interesting story. Six teenaged boys take a ride to the suburbs from the city of Chicago and go prowling some sleepy neighborhoods. Around 1 A.M., while in the suburbs, they attempt to break into a 75 year old gentleman's car. Gentleman faces the boys and tells them to leave. One boy approaches the homeowner with a knife; homeowner, defending himself, fires his weapon injuring the boy.

The six kids then get into an SUV and drive off. They approach an officer in a neighboring city and one boy along with the mortally injured boy get out to get assistance from a police officer. The other four boys flee in the SUV. Police pursue the SUV, find out it was stolen a week earlier from a different neighboring city, and chase the boys back to Chicago where they ran out of gas and were apprehended. The injured boy died due to the gunshot wounds.

Now, here's the twist. Under (an aggressive) Illinois law, Lake County prosecutors are charging the five boys with Felony Murder of the sixth boy, even though he was shot by the homeowner. Reason being had the boys not gone out that night for the B&E, the boy wouldn't have been shot.

The homeowner has not been charged as he was defending himself.

Illinois is one of the few states who allow trumped up felony charges to be attached to minor cases as a deterant to committing those petty crimes.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.
                      Almost all states have felony murder statutes. When you say Illinois allows trumped up felony charges, are you suggesting they have a typical felony murder statute but tend to fabricate felonies so they can use it?

Comment

Okay, maybe not the best wording on my part for that, but from the article:
                        In Illinois, the felony murder rule applies to 14 specific "forcible felonies" like murder, robbery, sexual assault, kidnapping and even burglary and treason, but also allows prosecutorial discretion to charge someone in cases involving "the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual."

Critics of felony murder argue it unduly punishes someone who didn't actually commit the deadly act and requires no intent to kill to be applied. Supporters argue it prioritizes life by establishing severe consequences for criminal actions that can end with someone's death.

"The rule is there to discourage people from committing crime," said Woodstock-based defense attorney Hank Sugden. "The moral of the story is don't commit a serious crime."
                        Biggest example of it's use is:
                        One of Illinois' most famous felony murder cases involved the shooting death of a Joliet police officer by another officer in 1970. Three men burglarized a warehouse late one April night but fled when police arrived. One of the burglars was immediately captured, but two remained on the lam. During the search for the two burglars, one of the officers mistook another officer crouched near some bushes for one of the burglars and opened fire when his commands to drop a weapon were not heeded. The burglars were caught a few hours later. The Illinois Supreme Court upheld the murder conviction against the two burglars, saying their commission of the burglary ultimately led to the officer's death.
                        In each case, the accomplices are charged with murder because of the indirect death their actions caused.

I get the reason as a deterent, it just seems... odd when used. Especially this incident in Lake County. They have them on felony B&E, felony fleeing. Yet, throw Murder on them?

*edit* Not arguing against it, just moreso looking for discussion on this.
                        Last edited by aparch; 08-16-2019, 03:27 PM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not sure how to feel on that, also.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm all for it. Maybe people will start to finally think twice about their actions ahead of time if they think there's even a small chance someone could end up dead because of it. And then we need to start emptying our jails and prisons of those with petty drug offenses.

Comment

• Seems fine to me. Lock them all up.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I get the sentiment of that but pragmatically what does that get us?
                                If they trump up charges so someone has the punishment for the crime you get some people who are happy that vengeance has happened. You also you get a lot of people in the community who feel this is unjust making building trust in the community go down the shi1tter.
                                You get a lot of people who are 'inside'. We pay to warehouse them. We indirectly end up paying for the consequences to their families having to do things to adjust to them being inside.

They come out with a record that makes them unemployable unless there is a miracle, making it close to impossible to get employment and if they do it rarely is at a livable wage. Having a record with that type of conviction most likely sets them up to chronically fail even if they are motivated to help themselves. They come out detached from their families and community so it is easier for them to offend again.

How does this help?

I am NOT saying everyone should get away with things without consequences but when you chose consequences it is a good idea to chose ones that don't shoot you in the foot too

Comment

Working...
                                X