No announcement yet.

Headline News Thread II: Meanwhile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread II: Meanwhile...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Obvious.

My prediction: the smart kids get smarter and more independent and develop better habits, the dumb kids stay dumb and develop bigger tummies.

Also that this will correlate with parenting which follows the smart/dumb curve.
    This makes the same old case for year-round schooling. 6-8 weeks on/2 weeks off model. No summer backsliding.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      This makes the same old case for year-round schooling. 6-8 weeks on/2 weeks off model. No summer backsliding.
      They do that in Japan and there are no psychological ill effects at all...
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It probably helps that they have fewer holidays to schedule around. You know, being fish-eating, funny-talking pagans and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Obvious.

My prediction: the smart kids get smarter and more independent and develop better habits, the dumb kids stay dumb and develop bigger tummies.

Also that this will correlate with parenting which follows the smart/dumb curve.
          Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          "But then how will farmers be able to use their kids as free labor during the summer months?" wails Middle America over their can of Grain Belt.

Year round schooling, proper funding for schools/teachers, the death of daylight saving, consistant infrastructure/transportation budgets, and the end of the Chicken tax. First politician to make good on all five gets my vote for life. Chicken tax repeal is not make or break.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Obvious.

Saturday night I was speaking with a good friend who has taught elementary school for 35 years. She had actually planned to retire before this year, but then her husband decided to work one more year, and the principal at her school said he was working one more year before retiring and begged her to stick around.

She said the present situation makes her want to cry. She said precisely what you did, that the good students were handling it fine. For everyone else it's a lost three months and it will set them back, maybe forever.

The problem is, it's only about 10% that falls in the former category.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Mayor of Boston just said they aren't going to keep anyone back unless parents request it. They are just going to work it out some how. Yeah. How many of the kids that are in trouble have parents who are going to advocate- I am betting a lot of them are just trying to make it to the next day

Comment

Obvious.

I’ve got to say my son has been great through all this. He is 11 and is 6th grade and knows his daily schedule and is pretty much fully independent. He knows when he has to sign in for live class time and when he should be working independently on his assignments. He’s keeping up with his private violin lessons using zoom, and even though he is in the advanced math group in his grade we have a private math tutor he Skypes with once a week (usually to introduce things that are beyond what is being taught in his grade)

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I’ve got to say my son has been great through all this. He is 11 and is 6th grade and knows his daily schedule and is pretty much fully independent. He knows when he has to sign in for live class time and when he should be working independently on his assignments. He’s keeping up with his private violin lessons using zoom, and even though he is in the advanced math group in his grade we have a private math tutor he Skypes with once a week (usually to introduce things that are beyond what is being taught in his grade)
                  Like I said, the smart will thrive, the rest will sink. But the rest weren't going anywhere anyway.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Like I said, the smart will thrive, the rest will sink. But the rest weren't going anywhere anyway.
                    I would say the disciplined will thrive. They won't all be A students. This is not a knock on the C students. Those students will learn that hard work will pay off in the long run, you know? The ones that look at this as a sort of free pass and they can do the minimum and not worry about it...those are the ones that will fail in adult life.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I know one guy — single dad, Libertarian type was “grooming his kids to be independent and self sufficient”. Turns out that means they do whatever they want and a couple weeks into this he said **** it and gave up on trying to make them keep up. One of his friends tore him a new ******* over it but I don’t know if he smartened up

Comment

Like I said, the rich will thrive, the rest will sink. But the rest weren't going anywhere anyway.
                        Fixed.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I would say the disciplined will thrive. They won't all be A students.
                          There is significant overlap but no more than 20% of the A students are smart kids, and no more than 80% of the smart kids are A students.

Even within the honors classes there were kids acing exams who the smart kids knew were just test takers. If you quizzed them on book material they were great but if you went off at an oblique angle on them they drowned.

Far less frequent, there were smart kids who just were not going to put up with school. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the kids who thought they were too smart for school were imbeciles*, but then there would be that one who you could see was already building cathedrals in his** head.

* You been tellin' me you're a genius since you were seventeen
                          In all the time I've known you I still don't know what you mean
                          The weekend at the college didn't turn out like you planned
                          The things that pass for knowledge I can't understand

** The misfit misanthrope smart kids who wipe out of school are always boys for whatever reason. Maybe because the misfit misanthrope girls are also socially smart enough to make it work for them.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2020, 10:13 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Fixed.
                            The rich kids with their tutors and SAT prep will ace all their exams. That doesn't mean they'll be developing anything useful towards becoming a human being. Let's say 10% of the population ever raises its head above the feeding trough long enough to contemplate a sunset. That 10% are the smart kids; the rest will be steerage: businessmen, realtors, corporate attorneys, office slaves, inchoate muscle.

Of the smart kids, 25% are from the top third of wealth, 10% are from the bottom third. The creative realization of intellect comes from the middle class, bless their granite countertop hearts. Now the vast majority of the middle class are bovine, but for all the sh-t it takes as a class from my Left brethren (and my elitist brethren), it's where the next Sartre and Nussbaum are coming from.

The bourgeoisie will inherit the Earth. Marx missed it by this much.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2020, 10:11 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The rich kids with their tutors and SAT prep will ace all their exams. That doesn't mean they'll be developing anything useful towards becoming a human being. Let's say 10% of the population ever raises its head above the feeding trough long enough to contemplate a sunset. Of those, maybe 20% are from the top 33% of wealth, and another 10% are from the bottom 10%. Civilization comes from the middle class, bless their granite countertop hearts.
                              There is remembering, and then there is learning.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

There is significant overlap but no more than 20% of the A students are smart kids, and no more than 80% of the smart kids are A students.

Even within the honors classes there were kids acing exams who the smart kids knew were just test takers. If you quizzed them on book material they were great but if you went off at an oblique angle on them they drowned.

Far less frequent, there were smart kids who just were not going to put up with school. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the kids who thought they were too smart for school were imbeciles*, but then there would be that one who you could see was already building cathedrals in his** head.

* You been tellin' me you're a genius since you were seventeen
                                In all the time I've known you I still don't know what you mean
                                The weekend at the college didn't turn out like you planned
                                The things that pass for knowledge I can't understand

** The misfit misanthrope smart kids are always boys for whatever reason. Maybe because the misfit misanthrope girls are also socially smart enough to make it work.
                                I was an AP kid. Took the tests, jumped through the hoops. Meh. Thankfully I found that out before I fully dove into the pool of white collar. I'd have hanged myself by now (virtually, I'd never literally take that route). I learned what "real" learning was, found my path, and followed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X