2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Beyond 2021, place all four regionals east of the Hudson. Every year. Albany, on the river, can be eligible. Since it's been deemed that the New England/AHL Rink regionals work, let's just go with it.

If you're from New England, you're all set. If not, you've got a viable option. Book a flight into the New England city of your choice. Buy far in advance to get a decent deal. Then, no matter which regional your team winds up in, it's an easy drive from the airport of your choice.

Best airport if you want to limit driving? Perhaps Hartford. Annual trip to Boston? Obvious advantages.

Inexpensive travel for Western fans? Not exactly. But perhaps doable. Which can't be said of the status quo, which often demands full price air fare on three days notice.
    Lol
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Beyond 2021, place all four regionals east of the Hudson. Every year. Albany, on the river, can be eligible. Since it's been deemed that the New England/AHL Rink regionals work, let's just go with it.

If you're from New England, you're all set. If not, you've got a viable option. Book a flight into the New England city of your choice. Buy far in advance to get a decent deal. Then, no matter which regional your team winds up in, it's an easy drive from the airport of your choice.

Best airport if you want to limit driving? Perhaps Hartford. Annual trip to Boston? Obvious advantages.

Inexpensive travel for Western fans? Not exactly. But perhaps doable. Which can't be said of the status quo, which often demands full price air fare on three days notice.
      Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        Lol
        Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Sounds reasonable.
        You're both correct.

I did intend to generate a smile while raining on the parade. At the same time, having all 4 regionals in the NE literally is more reasonable than the status quo.

In deference to the thread-starter, I'll admit I'm not predicting 4 NE Regionals. But if it actually came to pass, I might very well buy that advance plane ticket and attend the regionals again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Everything I've heard is they are not interested anymore.
          Neither Xcel or Minnesota is interested in bidding right now.

5,000 seat arena minimum and $150,000 guarantee to the NCAA is a huge hurdle for many schools. The minimum bid specs don't say anything about campus sites being excluded entirely, but I think the schools out west would prefer the requirements change for the next cycle of bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by evegoe View Post
            Neither Xcel or Minnesota is interested in bidding right now.

5,000 seat arena minimum and $150,000 guarantee to the NCAA is a huge hurdle for many schools. The minimum bid specs don't say anything about campus sites being excluded entirely, but I think the schools out west would prefer the requirements change for the next cycle of bidding.
            The problem is there are very few cities in the Midwest that can host. You either have to big arenas or arena on campus. Lot of arena that can host if are far away from college hockey teams. Every thing is so close in New England

Comment

Just thinking aloud for what new venues could be in the west.... Des Moines (the AHL rink, not the USHL), Rockford, Quad Cities, AllState in Chicago?

I wish GB would again, but attendance sucked so bad the last time it was here I can't see PMI doing it again.
              St. Norbert College Green Knights
              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              ---
              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Tonight I am told GB did not bid
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                  Just thinking aloud for what new venues could be in the west.... Des Moines (the AHL rink, not the USHL), Rockford, Quad Cities, AllState in Chicago?

I wish GB would again, but attendance sucked so bad the last time it was here I can't see PMI doing it again.
                  Between that, the Blizzard, the Gamblers and the WIAA Girls BBall tourney, there isn’t much room on the Resch schedule in March. PMI is better off picking up a concert if they have an opening.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...163796992?s=21

The ever-valuable Todd Milewski reports that UW has in fact bid the Kohl Center for 2021 and 2022.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...163796992?s=21

The ever-valuable Todd Milewski reports that UW has in fact bid the Kohl Center for 2021 and 2022.
                      Great...another empty Midwest regional venue.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        Great...another empty Midwest regional venue.
                        Only one West/Midwest regional session has drawn a larger announced attendance than the 9,968 the Kohl Center had for the 2008 Midwest semifinals. That was Minnesota-North Dakota in the 2012 regional final at Xcel (10,974).
                        You were saying?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          You were saying?
                          I was assuming Wisconsin continues to underwhelm and not make the tournament.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            I was assuming Wisconsin continues to underwhelm and not make the tournament.
                            Hope springs eternal, since we will all probably commit seppuku if this continues.

Comment

I’d go to Madison in a heartbeat if the goofs made it.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, Loveland is the big winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X