No announcement yet.

2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...sites-2020-and

2020:
    NE: Worcester
    East: Albany
    MW: Allentown
    West: Loveland

2021:
    NE: Manchester
    East: Bridgeport
    MW: Fargo

If you need any more indication that the NCAA cares more about neutrality than people actually showing up…
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...sites-2020-and

2020:
      NE: Worcester
      East: Albany
      MW: Allentown

2021:
      NE: Manchester
      East: Bridgeport
      MW: Fargo

If you need any more indication that the NCAA cares more about neutrality than people actually showing up…
      Who else out west bid?

The NCAA better hope Denver makes it both years...

Comment

No Portland, Maine! Too bad. Would have been a fun City for a Regional. I guess the $30+ million renovation to the Arena a couple of years ago didn't make the grade. Time for Portland to think about building a new modern arena.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Who else out west bid?

The NCAA better hope Denver makes it both years...
          The only losing bid that I’m aware of was the Badgers hosting in Madison. I think that Schlossman reported a UND bid, but now I can’t recall if that would’ve been the winning Fargo bid or if they had submitted any others (Sioux Falls or Grand Forks).

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

At least if UND doesn't make it chances are you can get a Minnesota team or two to Fargo. But if Denver finally runs into a stretch where they miss a tourney or two? Good luck with Loveland.

Comment

So next year, any teams from the Midwest are flying somewhere no matter what...

As mentioned, Denver's fanbase is going to be needed for this plan to have any shot at succeeding... I can't work out the numbers to where this is a financially viable option for the arena **shrug**.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I suppose Loveland could still work in 2020 if Denver doesn't make it provided North Dakota actually makes the tourney and you can get them there.

Comment

I am enjoying all the donkeys on Twitter complaining about Allentown not being in the Midwest. Give it up already. Midwest is just a name at this point.

Comment

Allentown is the least objectionable location, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      So next year, any teams from the Midwest are flying somewhere no matter what...

As mentioned, Denver's fanbase is going to be needed for this plan to have any shot at succeeding... I can't work out the numbers to where this is a financially viable option for the arena **shrug**.
                      Break even attendance is around 2500. Best case scenario is a capacity crowd that averages about $30/person on concessions, parking and souvenirs and even then the organizers are looking at ~$130,000 profit. The only way this works in almost any western city (and many in the east) is if you are able to get funding from the local CoC or a tourism group in town. All those people will need hotels, food and things to do when not watching hockey. Of course the area is already lousy with tourists since this is ski country. Loveland Ski Area is open into May. Will many locals be that excited about a hockey tournament when they're busy with an already robust tourism industry? I guess we'll see next March.

Comment

Would be nice to see them scale back the ticket prices but doubt that's in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Would be nice to see them scale back the ticket prices but doubt that's in the cards.
                          The gophers dropped season ticket prices by $200, though some areas with donations are going up. My seats dropped $100/ea. It's a problem that's being recognized by at least one premier program. I would be surprised if it's not being at least discussed. I'd put the chance at it happening at about 25%, so it's still pretty unlikely.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Allentown is the least objectionable location, IMO.
                            Was kind of hoping for a madison regional.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Was kind of hoping for a madison regional.
                              That they lost is the lead indicator that they care more about neutrality than revenue.

Which is a shame, since the selection committee doesn’t feel the same way.

Comment

By my count, the distance between the "Midwest" Regional and the West Regional is 1,708 miles.

That also means there are only FIVE west schools within 500 miles of a regional site:

Allentown - 164 to Penn State, 448 to Ohio State (next closest 510 to BGSU)
                                Loveland - 40 to Denver, 120 to Colorado College & Air Force Academy (next closest 530 to Omaha)

Another big F U to the west. What a joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X