No announcement yet.

2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Schlossman reported that he’d gotten a tip that UND also bid REA, but that is unconfirmed.

If true, I think it’s remarkable that REA and the Kohl Center both got shot down.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

No, it's definitely the NCAA's fault that the western teams are so far apart. They could totally have picked a regional location within 500 miles of every western school if they just bent their map of America a little bit and removed some of that darn space.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Break even attendance is around 2500. Best case scenario is a capacity crowd that averages about $30/person on concessions, parking and souvenirs and even then the organizers are looking at ~$130,000 profit. The only way this works in almost any western city (and many in the east) is if you are able to get funding from the local CoC or a tourism group in town. All those people will need hotels, food and things to do when not watching hockey. Of course the area is already lousy with tourists since this is ski country. Loveland Ski Area is open into May. Will many locals be that excited about a hockey tournament when they're busy with an already robust tourism industry? I guess we'll see next March.
        Just a mini geography lesson - the town of Loveland is 40-50 miles north of Denver. The Loveland ski area is 50-60 miles west of Denver. I get your point but it's not too likely that people that go to the regional would be even considering Loveland ski area, and the town of Loveland has virtually no tourism.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Schlossman reported that he’d gotten a tip that UND also bid REA, but that is unconfirmed.

If true, I think it’s remarkable that REA and the Kohl Center both got shot down.
          If true I assume it's just a continuation of the NCAA policy that if a non-school site bids, they won't consider an on campus site.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
            Just a mini geography lesson - the town of Loveland is 40-50 miles north of Denver. The Loveland ski area is 50-60 miles west of Denver. I get your point but it's not too likely that people that go to the regional would be even considering Loveland ski area, and the town of Loveland has virtually no tourism.
            I wondered about that when I was doing my quick research this morning. I assumed it was a misunderstanding in geography. LOL. That does change the calculus, but not the basic math. The host committee still will need financial support from the local business. Without a bustling tourism industry, hockey does make a more attractive option.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Break even attendance is around 2500. Best case scenario is a capacity crowd that averages about $30/person on concessions, parking and souvenirs and even then the organizers are looking at ~$130,000 profit. The only way this works in almost any western city (and many in the east) is if you are able to get funding from the local CoC or a tourism group in town. All those people will need hotels, food and things to do when not watching hockey. Of course the area is already lousy with tourists since this is ski country. Loveland Ski Area is open into May. Will many locals be that excited about a hockey tournament when they're busy with an already robust tourism industry? I guess we'll see next March.
              LOL, Loveland Ski Area is NOWHERE near Loveland, CO...100 miles and 2 hours apart. Loveland (city) locals will be but a small portion of the people that regional will attract...hockey fans from Denver and COS are the target market there, and they should fill the place fairly easily. Granted, filling is small, but it should be a good atmosphere.

r

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                No, it's definitely the NCAA's fault that the western teams are so far apart. They could totally have picked a regional location within 500 miles of every western school if they just bent their map of America a little bit and removed some of that darn space.
                Where's the like button

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                If true I assume it's just a continuation of the NCAA policy that if a non-school site bids, they won't consider an on campus site.
                That has to be it. They will accept on campus bids but will only pick them if there are no other options.

Comment

I'm very bummed that Fighting Hawk Falls isn't the Midwest Regional. It was a great arena and good town for that. According to Schlossman UND didn't bid there this year but bid on the Ralph.

Loveland is a great idea and the only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

I wonder why more schools don't try to host in Iowa at USHL venues. but I digress.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    I am enjoying all the donkeys on Twitter complaining about Allentown not being in the Midwest. Give it up already. Midwest is just a name at this point.
                    I am NOT ready for another year of that...serenity now...
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Nothing. Notre Dame hosted at their own rink not terribly long ago. It's an arbitrary rule that can be arbitrarily enforced.
                      Notre Dame offered a very attractive bid in terms of $$$, and the NC$$ ain't the NC$$ because $$$ ISN'T their first consideration. The school's costs were fairly low since they own the rink and would have been paying something to run it those days anyway (other than a couple of holidays, it never sits idle) and they were assured of a ton of ticket money since they forced their season ticket base to buy tickets and my guess is their season ticket base was in the midst of their largest couple of seasons (to that time, 2018-2019 may have bested it) in 2014/2015. I also was led to believe there were simply no other viable bids for that regional and the NCAA wasn't left with much in the way of options.

Comment

I'm shocked to see Albany just because there had been nothing reported that the arena even bid.

But those who hadn't been there in a few years will be pleasently surprised. There's been over $20M in upgrades to the arena - the atrium/entrance is much improved and now enclosed. It looks nothing like it did before. The concessions have all new facades. Most of the bathrooms have been re-done.

There's also an attached convention center to the arena that was not open when hockey was here in 2016. It will be great for fan fests and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          I'm very bummed that Fighting Hawk Falls isn't the Midwest Regional. It was a great arena and good town for that. According to Schlossman UND didn't bid there this year but bid on the Ralph.

Loveland is a great idea and the only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

I wonder why more schools don't try to host in Iowa at USHL venues. but I digress.
                          Not a lot of large capacity rinks in the USHL.

Green Bay and Sioux Falls have hosted. Sioux City and Central Illinois are the only others that seat more than 6000 in their arenas.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                            LOL, Loveland Ski Area is NOWHERE near Loveland, CO...100 miles and 2 hours apart. Loveland (city) locals will be but a small portion of the people that regional will attract...hockey fans from Denver and COS are the target market there, and they should fill the place fairly easily. Granted, filling is small, but it should be a good atmosphere.

r
                            I don't think the locals are the target audience to fill the arena, I think local business is the target to help fund the regional. The restaurants, hotels and tourist traps all stand to gain if the regional does well. Tap into that.

That's true in every city, not just Loveland.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              By my count, the distance between the "Midwest" Regional and the West Regional is 1,708 miles.

That also means there are only FIVE west schools within 500 miles of a regional site:

Allentown - 164 to Penn State, 448 to Ohio State (next closest 510 to BGSU)
                              Loveland - 40 to Denver, 120 to Colorado College & Air Force Academy (next closest 530 to Omaha)

Another big F U to the west. What a joke.
                              Nobody bid.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                                I get your point, but I also hear the other side. The NCAA isn't at fault for geography but it could make bidding in the first place much more attractive by dropping that insane $150,000 fee for a host. Not many places out west are willing to take that financial risk, especially if the host team misses the tournament and their venue becomes a wasteland. Without that stiff price tag you'd see more bids. That isn't going to happen either.

Until the NCAA changes what it wants from a national tournament the system we have is the system we'll keep.

Comment

Working...
                                X