Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Atlantic Hurricane season - what's in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Atlantic Hurricane season - what's in a name?

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Well that’ll put a damper on the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opening...
    lol
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So it's turned quite south, it appears. This one is going to be a big model calibrator, given how the models have been pretty wrong, even in the short term.

Again keep CLOSE tabs on this storm.

Comment

It’s been pointed at the Cape for a while, and now the NOAA site I watch is showing West Palm Beach - that’s only 150 miles farther south, 2 days out. That’s not so bad, so far as predictions go.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Leavin' this here and steppin' softly away...
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Well, the Euro model has Dorian doing a hard right turn just off the FLA coast and running right up the Eastern seaboard until it heads out around the NC Capes. Still a slow mover, though.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Schizophrenia is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Well, the Euro model has Dorian doing a hard right turn just off the FLA coast and running right up the Eastern seaboard until it heads out around the NC Capes. Still a slow mover, though.
                That's actually been the trend in the models since yesterday afternoon. The vast majority have a hard turn to the north, the question is, does it make the turn with the center onshore or offshore? It makes a big difference.
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                  That's actually been the trend in the models since yesterday afternoon. The vast majority have a hard turn to the north, the question is, does it make the turn with the center onshore or offshore? It makes a big difference.
                  yea. The Euro forecasts a High dropping down over Northern Florida and blocking the westward movement and forcing Dorian up the coast. How far off the coast remains to be seen.

5pm
                  Last edited by joecct; 08-30-2019, 03:55 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    yea. The Euro forecasts a High dropping down over Northern Florida and blocking the westward movement and forcing Dorian up the coast. How far off the coast remains to be seen.

5pm
                    Actually, it's how quickly the Bermuda High erodes as a trough of low pressure moves across the Tennessee Valley. Those are the two factors that will turn the storm northward.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                      Actually, it's how quickly the Bermuda High erodes as a trough of low pressure moves across the Tennessee Valley. Those are the two factors that will turn the storm northward.
                      Back in the mid 50s, the Bermuda High steered a number of Hurricanes up the east coast. One of them, Hazel, disrupted my parents' wedding plans.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Anybody know where Vero Beach is in relation fo landfall? That's where my BIL lives. Getting worried about his family.
                        Last edited by MadTownSioux; 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                          Anybody know where Vero Beach is in relation fo landfall? That's where my BIL lives. Getting worried about his family.
                          https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4824...g%2F11hz_3v1pw

That's not good...

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            wow, OK. Thanks.
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              That's assuming the Hurricane Center's forecast is right. The average forecast error at that point is nearly 200 miles. The majority of the forecast models now keep the center offshore. While a hurricane passing 20 miles offshore is very bad, it is actually quite a bit better than if the storm makes landfall.

Comment

Very much so. That’s what Matthew did in 2016 - it was supposed to make landfall and grind up the coast. At the last minute, it veered 30 miles east, so instead of taking the 130 mph eyewall up the ***, we “only” got the 85 mph inner bands. Thanks for the reacharound, Matty!

(Yes, a little punchy after a redeye last night and then 14 straight hours of prep and packing. We hit the road in the morning - headed up to Tennessee to stay with a relative.)
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X