Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    Must be some bad mojo at BC when your 2 best players transfer out.
    BC was far less than the sum of its parts last year, so shuffling the pieces isn't the worst thing, and Barnes is a pretty nice player to rebuild around. If the coaching staff takes a hard look at its philosophy and realizes that all offense all of the time isn't the best system, it might be a blessing in disguise.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      BC was far less than the sum of its parts last year, so shuffling the pieces isn't the worst thing, and Barnes is a pretty nice player to rebuild around. If the coaching staff takes a hard look at its philosophy and realizes that all offense all of the time isn't the best system, it might be a blessing in disguise.
      No no, the philosophy is just fine!

I wonder how Watts will fit into MJ's defensive responsibility philosophy? That will be fascinating to get to see in person.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        No no, the philosophy is just fine!

I wonder how Watts will fit into MJ's defensive responsibility philosophy? That will be fascinating to get to see in person.
        Maybe that was a recommendation by Hockey Canada. Go play somewhere that you can learn defence.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
          maybe that was a recommendation by hockey canada. Go play somewhere that you can learn defense.
          lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
            Maybe that was a recommendation by Hockey Canada. Go play somewhere that you can learn defence.
            actually the latest rumor about Watts is that she's applied for US citizenship so she can play for Team USA
            doubling down on pursuing championships I guess

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              actually the latest rumor about Watts is that she's applied for US citizenship so she can play for Team USA
              doubling down on pursuing championships I guess
              Why not! Maybe transferring Countries will be the new trend! Still believe these players deserve the opportunity to choose and adjust their futures if they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
                Still believe these players deserve the opportunity to choose and adjust their futures if they want.
                We all agree in principle on that, the debate is over whether or not you should have negative consequences for not sticking to your commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  We all agree in principle on that, the debate is over whether or not you should have negative consequences for not sticking to your commitment.
                  This is a new phenomenon, and it will be interesting to see how this transfer process shakes itself out. The early returns suggest that it will make the unequal distribution of talent in women's hockey worse, not better, as late bloomers who were not heavily recruited in high school can show their stuff one year for, say, St Cloud, and then move to a more competitive team for the remainder of their career. There is no evidence to suggest that the talent will move from better to lesser teams. It seems to already have reduced the number of superpowers in D1 from four to three.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    This is a new phenomenon, and it will be interesting to see how this transfer process shakes itself out. The early returns suggest that it will make the unequal distribution of talent in women's hockey worse, not better, as late bloomers who were not heavily recruited in high school can show their stuff one year for, say, St Cloud, and then move to a more competitive team for the remainder of their career. There is no evidence to suggest that the talent will move from better to lesser teams. It seems to already have reduced the number of superpowers in D1 from four to three.
                    Couldn't agree more and that's the unintended tragedy of not making all transfers sit for one year before competing with their new team.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                      Any that leads to the question of dark back door channels to late bloomers from superpowers trying to pluck the late bloomers from their original team, or pluck cross-conference from 1 superpower to the other. To me it seems like nothing is off the table anymore. The innocence of women's college hockey is dead. I think the big 4 need to all sit down and have a gentlepeople's agreement to stop the madness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                        Couldn't agree more and that's the unintended tragedy of not making all transfers sit for one year before competing with their new team.
                        I decided to leave my job today because I just could not connect with my new boss. I loved working for the man who hired me but he left last year. I sure hope I don’t have to sit out a year before I work again.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          I decided to leave my job today because I just could not connect with my new boss. I loved working for the man who hired me but he left last year. I sure hope I don’t have to sit out a year before I work again.
                          Perhaps we need to review the difference between 'contractual employment' and 'at-will employment'.

(While I'm not sure how well either 'contractual' or 'employment' apply to college hockey and scholarships, I'm darn sure 'at-will' does not.)

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            Perhaps we need to review the difference between 'contractual employment' and 'at-will employment'.

(While I'm not sure how well either 'contractual' or 'employment' apply to college hockey and scholarships, I'm darn sure 'at-will' does not.)
                            Point is that they should be able to do what they want to do if they are not happy. It’s not an easy decision and a lot goes into it I am sure. All I can do is wish her well. It’s her choice. Have fun and enjoy the ride. What will sitting out a year accomplish in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Point is that they should be able to do what they want to do if they are not happy...
                              ... within the restrictions, prescriptions and proscriptions of the 'contract' she freely entered into. That 'contract' currently does not require sitting out a year in women's hockey (though it does in other NCAA sports). It is being suggested that maybe that 'contract' should be modified to include such an additional restriction. That you disagree does not mean the suggestion does not have merit, or that others can agree.

Comment

An athlete's commitment to a school doesn't create a contractual relationship. Neither does signing a NLI. That is very much the way that the NCAA and its member schools want it. If it were a contract, then the athletes would indisputably be employees, and that's a development that the NCAA has fought very hard to prevent for its entire existence. Talking about the relationship between a player and her team as if there is a contract, or even a "contract," is to have headed off down the wrong trail.

My guess is that you've seen a loosening of transfer rules, even for football and basketball players, because the NCAA doesn't want to fight this in court. The Seventh Circuit ruled in 2017 that the NCAA requirement of a year off before eligibility after a transfer is legal, but its reasoning was transparently ludicrous, including a claim that such a requirement was necessary to prevent schools from trading players like professional teams do.

Comment

Working...
                                X