X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    Not typical examples
    True, but I didn't claim that they were. I'm not sure that there are that many typical examples. Even some that we think from the outside are typical, aren't all that typical once you know the particulars. Schammel transferring to UM from MSU seems like it would be, but it is kind of odd when the suggestion comes from her MSU coach. Someone like Reilly may be more typical, but having spoken to the original PSU coach, I was kind of surprised that more people didn't want to transfer.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Some people definitely are not lol
      Yeah? Well, **** you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        Yeah? Well, **** you.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          A Wisconsin counter-example for you, from volleyball.

From 2013 through 2016, the Wisconsin volleyball team had a setter (the 'quarterback' of the team) named Lauren Carlini. Coming out of high school, everybody knew Carlini was going to be great. And during her senior year in high school, Wisconsin replaced their head VB coach. So all the other schools figured her long-time commitment to Wisconsin was 'open' for last minute recruiting, because of the coaching change. But Carlini was committed to Wisconsin, whether it was the old coach or the new coach.

The reason she committed to Wisconsin in the first place? When she was much younger and getting interested in VB, Wisconsin had a player named Mary Carlini, no relation. But Lauren is from greater Chicago, so her parents brought her up to Madison a couple times to see the other Carlini play. And Lauren fell in love with Madison and the old Field House, and Wisconsin VB, etc etc.

(She went on to be 3-time All-American, 2014 Big Ten Player of the year, the first VB player to ever win the Sullivan Award. Just this week, her pro team won one of the big European championships, with her as the first-string setter.)
          Right, the school does have pull on a player as well. They also DO come for academics as none of them will ever earn a living playing hockey, so it's not just about the coach but they are the face of the school and get them connected to the academic types who can sell the school itself. Certainly some schools are never on a player's radar due to the majors and programs they don't offer. The B6 usually have something for everyone.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Any update on Watts? Word on the street is she is down to 2 schools and close to a decision. Clarkson & Wisconsin with Upstate New York in the lead down the stretch! However, as we all know it's never over till is over.

Comment

Nothing yet from me -- I'll have it as soon as it's official though
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyTheTiger20;6809743]Nothing yet from me -- I'll have it as soon as it's official though[/QUOT

I know it's difficult for programs to lose players. Ultimately the player/coach relationships and connections are what dictate success and failures within any program. The coaching at BC seems on paper to have experience and a strong pedigree, not to mention a highly respected school. Beyond the transfers or team record can you shed some insight on what's going on within the program?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
                  Any update on Watts? Word on the street is she is down to 2 schools and close to a decision. Clarkson & Wisconsin with Upstate New York in the lead down the stretch! However, as we all know it's never over till is over.
                  Watt for WI? You can't have 2 more diametrically opposed destinations a least in regards to the type and size of school. It's like deciding between the green Fiat 500 and the red Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Watt for WI? You can't have 2 more diametrically opposed destinations a least in regards to the type and size of school. It's like deciding between the green Fiat 500 and the red Mustang.
                    I thought you would come up with Green Ford Raptor 4x4 vs. Red Ferrari at least!

Comment

I like the analogy. The first new car I ever purchased was a Mustang. It was useless on ice.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
                        I thought you would come up with Green Ford Raptor 4x4 vs. Red Ferrari at least!
                        I am just a common man going with a common analogy. Those are too exotic, though I am a fan of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          Where did you get your information regarding all scholarships being used and that when a player transfers that means an existing player loses one? I know that not every scholarship at BU is used every year, so if a player transfers their is money available without having to take one away from a current player.

Furthermore, if you look at my NCAA Financials spreadsheet you can see how many scholarships were used by every public school from 2010-16. For the women's teams the average was just over 17 per year per school. So, on average each public school had 1 scholarship per year that could have been offered to a transfer without having to "take away" a scholarship from a then current player.

Sean
                          except that your numbers show, for example, that all players at WI were receiving aid and you don't list anything for Clarkson for the years given, the only thing that is important is what the schools have available NOW, IOW, your data is useless

your statement is even more useless, the average is unimportant, only the school a player is interested in going to is important

Comment

I am just a common man going with a common analogy.
                            i would have thought you'd have gone with a donkey and a mule for your analogy

Comment

Go to Clarkson, earn a degree, buy a Rolls.

Go to Wisconsin, earn a degree, then sell a Rolls.

Comment

BAD Omen.....one of the things our company does is replace windshields....what was in the shop today? A freaking Fiat 500 and of course I thought of Watt/Clarkson right away. I better see a Mustang soon. Like NOW!

Comment

Working...
                                X