Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
    I'm always glad to see kids from back home getting a look. I hope someday another Scott Pellerin-type player will come from the Maritimes and suit up for the Black Bears!
    I'd be delighted with another Newfie such as Teddy Purcell.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
      Consider flying into Rochester. It's not too far from Buffalo(Maybe 80 miles). Or Cleveland although further may be less costly.
      Rochester is only 60 miles from Buffalo. Also, there is Niagara Falls International Airport which is only 20 miles or so from Downtown Buffalo. Just not sure which airlines fly into either airport. Would be worth checking out at this late date.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        Cannot blame you there. But part of me wants to convince you to go because there was a time when Maine would regularly play in big games... evaporated now. I would fly from Boston through Beijing to Buffalo to see my Blackbears in a frozen four again.
        Oh man you’re killin me. I know... haven’t missed a UMD frozen four in my adult-ish life

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
        I'm running into the same situation. $700 for a flight from Minneapolis to Buffalo. Contemplating driving but it's about 16 hours one way. It's an unfortunate reality at this point.
        What!?!? Like $250-400 from Denver it’s just the layovers that kill me. With all those hours spent on layovers it could make more sense to fly to Detroit, Cleveland or Toronto and rent a car. Certainly opens up options you’d probably be renting a car anyways gotta see the falls and get to Toronto!!

I’ll spend whatever $$ find a way if they go to the championship. I just remember how ****ty of a time I had in Boston when they lostin the semis I did not want to be in Boston at all after that (not like i had anything else better to do).
        Last edited by UMD21; 04-02-2019, 10:10 PM.
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          I think we can all agree the building was 75% pro-PC. Not sure what you consider a "fan" for the sake of whether they are true PC fans that were there or other "fans" just rooting for PC.
          Frankly, if I have to define what a fan of (any) team is, then I may as well stop here. But here I go... a fan (in this case a PC fan) is someone who closely follows PC, attends games occasionally (if physically close) if not regularly, and in this example attended the Frozen Four for the sole purpose of supporting/cheering/rooting/howling for Providence College. UND fans are not PC fans. BC fans are not PC fans.

It is tiring, and unfair that the small programs' successes are frequently denigrated. Maine went through this in the 90s, Yale's championship was mocked ("the weakest FF ever"), and now (or still) it's Providence. Now, NC championship won in Boston, against the team from Boston, is really not all that... because of the fans of other schools rooting for PC. Unreal! You think the neutral support will be split evenly in the finals in Buffalo? It won't. Does that diminishes the success? It does not.

And again, as a reminder (from the OP):

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          Can Providence prove that they truly belonged by winning it all outside of New England?
          Somehow, though, Duluth "truly belongs", because they won their only two titles in front of the "hostile" crowd in Saint Paul (against Michigan and ND). Um, okay...

Comment

I'm a media fan of the Gophers (radio, specifically). I rarely miss a game on the radio, don't go to games, am a part of their main message board (GPL) and obviously a member here. I consider myself an above average fan, but not a hardcore.

That being said, as for small programs, when the Gophs were eliminated from tourney consideration, I rooted for AIC. Big strides with that program, a true underdog. Was very happy they won their first game in the NCAAs. Overall, if it doesn't affect the Gophers, chances are I'm rooting for your small time team.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by pc88 View Post
              I see people writing off the Friars. All their games with UMass were tight and you could argue that Providence outplayed UMass outside of a couple of bad mistakes in the first two losses. They also had a good series with Denver at Denver where they lost one and tied. I think this is a pretty evenly matched frozen four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              You can make the argument that the game PC won against UMass was the one UMASS should have won and the other two were dominated by PC.
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                What!?!? Like $250-400 from Denver it’s just the layovers that kill me. With all those hours spent on layovers it could make more sense to fly to Detroit, Cleveland or Toronto and rent a car. Certainly opens up options you’d probably be renting a car anyways gotta see the falls and get to Toronto!!
                Speaking from experience in 2003, Cleveland works very well for this purpose.

Individually, I drove to the tournament from Columbus. But I picked up several friends at the Cleveland Airport, saving them each a couple hundred bucks. (compared to flying to Buffalo) OK, since I provided shuttle service, it's not an entirely fair comparison. But from Cleveland, it's a straightforward three hour drive up I-90. If you can really knock $300+ off the price and reduce layovers as well, I'd say it's well worth it.

Do check Rochester. By my sense is that fewer flights will be offered and prices are likely to be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                  I was there. 80% of the fans were rooting for PC. Perhaps, like BC fans, they were rooting against BU but they were in PC’s corner.
                  This. "Fan" referred to "rooting for PC." It doesn't matter why. Many were "for" PC and many were "against" BU. The point is, the notion (mostly from people outside New England) who assume that it was a "monumental task" for a team to play against BU in Boston hasn't been to many BU games lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
                    Now, NC championship won in Boston, against the team from Boston, is really not all that... because of the fans of other schools rooting for PC. Does that diminishes the success? It does not.
                    Nobody is saying that. But it wasn't the "insurmountable task" that you make it out to be. Were you there? Because there is NO WAY you can dispute that MOST of the "crowd" (I won't call them "fans," OK?) was "for" PC. If you do you're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Nobody is saying that.
                      Actually, that is not true. This is the basic premise from the beginning of the discussion, and while I already repeated it twice, you are refusing to address those statements - that PC has to "prove" they can win it all other than in New England, while Duluth, for some reason, gets a pass.

By default, it is very unlikely for any matchup to have a split fan support. I am convinced that, should PC and Denver match up in the finals this year, PC would have more people rooting for them. So, while I don't have an issue with questioning Providence winning the NC in Boston in 2015, I do have an issue with Providence being singled out for that win. Because, hey why not, we could go and analyze every FF final game and see which one's are "legit" - I can guarantee you will find a very few like Harvard beating Minnesota in Saint Paul in '89 or Michigan beating BC in Boston in '98.

But it wasn't the "insurmountable task" that you make it out to be.
                      I never stated it was an "insurmountable task". My definition of "insurmountable" is obviously different than yours (just like the definition of the "fan" is different for me), hence I would not use it - obviously they won it all, so it couldn't have been "insurmountable".

Were you there? Because there is NO WAY you can dispute that MOST of the "crowd" (I won't call them "fans," OK?) was "for" PC. If you do you're lying.
                      I did not dispute that at all. I stated that BU had more fans than PC - I have clearly explained what my definition of the "fan" is. Regardless, I find it laughable the notion that it was "easier" for PC to win that game than it was for BU, in the arena where BU played four games that season already (not counting FF games).
                      Last edited by Bruin; 04-03-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I just want to make one thing clear: perhaps I made a mistake in using the word “prove” when referring to PC. I was not giving Duluth a “pass” as you suggested. True, UMD won it all last year as a #4 seed and did go through the regional in Minnesota. But, they were not playing in Duluth, but St. Paul while PC was essentially playing in their home town, but not their home rink. Duluth to St. Paul is 150 miles away.

Comment

PC had a a greater portion of butts in seats rooting for them it's not even up for debate. Where they come from or whom their primary allegiance would be to otherwise is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                            Oh man you’re killin me. I know... haven’t missed a UMD frozen four in my adult-ish life

I’ll spend whatever $$ find a way if they go to the championship. I just remember how ****ty of a time I had in Boston when they lostin the semis I did not want to be in Boston at all after that (not like i had anything else better to do).
                            You can do Denver to Pittsburg non stop both ways for $256 on Expedia weds to Sunday. One of the flights is frontier though. 3 1/2 hours to Buffalo by car from Pitts.
                            Last edited by LTsatch; 04-04-2019, 07:49 AM.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              You can do Denver to Pittsburg non stop both ways for $256 on Expedia weds to Sunday. One of the flights is frontier though. 3 1/2 hours to Buffalo by cat from Pitts.
                              Cheetah?

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                                Cheetah?

r
                                I prefer a bengal tiger, they can swim the three rivers.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X