X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
    Yep about 1500 less students at PC...

AIC may take the smallest cake in D1 Hockey, less than 1400....
    I thought it was a HAIR over 1400, but either way...

Attendance was up this year for the average run of the mill game...300-some compared to 200 some in years past. (Teams like UMass drew thousands, of course).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Stay downtown. There are a couple of perfectly fine chains there with lounges and restaurants on-premises, and you can walk to much better dining very easily. There's a Frank Lloyd Wright house that's also within a walk, and that's fun to see if you enjoy novel architecture. The waterfront was renovated a few years back, and it's worth a stroll as well. And of course you have Niagara Falls and the aquarium there. The falls are truly exhilarating right up close. IDK if the Maid(s) of the Mist are operating this early -I doubt that- but Holy God, it's truly thrilling to be inside of American Falls, where the water is so loud that you can't hear yourself think.

Buffalo used to be a s-hole 15-20 years back, but it's a fun town now.
      And the girls... go buffalo. Get tangy downtown!

Comment

lol. What a disaster. Even the Canucks won’t come.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          This will be the least attended frozen four.

Comment

Originally posted by 73pcfriar View Post
            yep about 1500 less students at pc...

Aic may take the smallest cake in d1 hockey, less than 1400....
            fewer.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Denver is playing very good playoff hockey now. Over the past 6 games (5-1) since the NCHC tourney-4 and regionals-2 they've held opponents to a GA/GP of 1.0. They were swept during the season by SCSU (1), Western Michigan (13) and unranked Colorado College, but came back and mauled CC 6-1 in the NCHC tourney. But their PP is dismal at 15%. UMass is better in almost every stats category. If Den. can play a disciplined, defensive game they'll defeat UMass and move onto the championship game. If they get there, IMO they bag their 9th and go ape****.

Comment

I'll be there to represent the Great White North!

I do agree that attendance might not be impressive this year. I know the Canalside/Inner Harbor area has been transformed and rejuvenated in recent years, but Buffalo isn't seen as a "cool place to go" by most of us north of the border (especially in April). I go to the Frozen Four each year for the hockey and to see friends who share common interests. I also enjoy meeting others who are fans of college hockey and are passionate about the school they cheer for. The host city is irrelevant to me, and I always find things to see and do over the course of the weekend. This year I'll be driving down for the games on Thursday/Saturday rather than paying inflated hotel rates in a city I'm not interested in seeing as a tourist.

For years I've been trying to convince friends up here of the quality of NCAA hockey, but I've had little to no impact on getting anyone interested enough to attend a Frozen Four - even one just a couple of hours away!
                Last edited by Hoover; 04-02-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

This will be the least attended frozen four.
                  I do worry about it. Buffalo is so small it’s pretty much a 7+ hour flight from Denver with layovers and that’s a good case scenario. Booking last minute gets you stuck more in the 10-15 hour range with many layovers. I want to support my team but devoting 4 days, Thursday-Sunday is quite a lot to ask. And if Dogs bow out on Thursday it’s not like I’ll just easily hop on a flight back home friday... so torn but it’s not looking ideal. Never missed a UMD frozen four in my life this will likely be the first. But if they go to the championship i might have to
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Clearly, PU will get their desevrings.
                    I'm glad it's not November any more, because championchips are not won in November!
                    Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

I won't be attending this year, but I'm gathering good tourist advice for next year's Men's D-III Frozen Four in Buffalo. So, thanks for the tips!

Curling lessons are already on the agenda.
                      Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                        I do worry about it. Buffalo is so small it’s pretty much a 7+ hour flight from Denver with layovers and that’s a good case scenario. Booking last minute gets you stuck more in the 10-15 hour range with many layovers. I want to support my team but devoting 4 days, Thursday-Sunday is quite a lot to ask. And if Dogs bow out on Thursday it’s not like I’ll just easily hop on a flight back home friday... so torn but it’s not looking ideal. Never missed a UMD frozen four in my life this will likely be the first. But if they go to the championship i might have to
                        Cannot blame you there. But part of me wants to convince you to go because there was a time when Maine would regularly play in big games... evaporated now. I would fly from Boston through Beijing to Buffalo to see my Blackbears in a frozen four again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                          I'll be there to represent the Great White North!

I do agree that attendance might not be impressive this year. I know the Canalside/Inner Harbor area has been transformed and rejuvenated in recent years, but Buffalo isn't seen as a "cool place to go" by most of us north of the border (especially in April). I go to the Frozen Four each year for the hockey and to see friends who share common interests. I also enjoy meeting others who are fans of college hockey and are passionate about the school they cheer for. The host city is irrelevant to me, and I always find things to see and do over the course of the weekend. This year I'll be driving down for the games on Thursday/Saturday rather than paying inflated hotel rates in a city I'm not interested in seeing as a tourist.

For years I've been trying to convince friends up here of the quality of NCAA hockey, but I've had little to no impact on getting anyone interested enough to attend a Frozen Four - even one just a couple of hours away!
                          You, my friend, are a great hockey fan and more than likely a better neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            For sure! Ill probably alternate wings and beef between breakfast lunch dinner.
                            I’d probably throw in some antacid to be on the safe side.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                              Now that the regionals are complete with 3 of the last 4 NCAA Champions returning, it’s time for the following questions to be answered:

Can Providence prove that they truly belonged by winning it all outside of New England?

Yes, because winning in2015 in Boston, against Boston University, was a breeze due to the presence of 16,000 Friar fans in the arena.

In case they win it (unlikely but possible), what will they have to prove next? That they can win it all in the West?

Comment

You, my friend, are a great hockey fan and more than likely a better neighbor.
                                Thanks for the kind words!

I agree with you - I'd love to see Maine back in a FF and would go to almost any lengths to make sure I could be there. I grew up in Southern New Brunswick and followed the Black Bears (usually on WLBZ Channel 2) from a young age. Even though I'm near Toronto now, I still follow Maine very closely, usually going to Orono or a road weekend series each year. I was in Boston in 2015 to see Providence win, so I guess this year I'll be rooting for UMass to give Hockey East another National Champion.

As long as the games are good, I leave the arena entertained, and I enjoy the company of old and new friends I'll consider the weekend in Buffalo worth attending.

Comment

Working...
                                X