This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    I would be curious if the DII teams that currently play DIII all decided to play up, would the NCAA allow it.
    Yes.

Because they don’t have a D2 championship. Remember, they are still considered D2, whether they play a D3 schedule or not.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Comment

Thanks Ed, these are really good articles that accurately explain the scholarship situation. Clear and concise even to those who obviously 🙄 are not well versed in the subject. Kudos to the authors. 👍

Congrats Abbot on your first pro goal.
        Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 03-29-2019, 08:36 PM.
        RPI Engineers
        RIT Tigers
        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

AIC knocks off the #1 seed. Buzz buzz!
          RIT

Comment

First sign of the coming apocalypse, AIC beats St Coud. Yellow jackets do atlantic hockey proud.
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Just Wow, way to go AIC.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Reminds me of a few years ago sitting in the then Pepsi Center (I think that’s what it was called then) watching you guys knock off UNH & Denver. THAT was a great weekend of hockey.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Good for AIC, Hope they take the next one too!
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    Reminds me of a few years ago sitting in the then Pepsi Center (I think that’s what it was called then) watching you guys knock off UNH & Denver. THAT was a great weekend of hockey.
                    More than a few years ago unfortunately. I’m looking forward to the year that both RIT and RPI are in the tournament. Yesterday was a tough day for the ECAC, hoping for better results today with QPAC and Cornell.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Not sure why everyone seems shocked about AIC. Atlantic Hockey's rep has only lost one first-round game in the last five years.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        Not sure why everyone seems shocked about AIC. Atlantic Hockey's rep has only lost one first-round game in the last five years.

Powers &8^]
                        Probably something to do with the fact the program hasn't had a winning season since 1993 and has never ever finished above 8th in the worst conference in D1 hockey prior to this year. Air Force and RIT stealing wins off #1 seeds isn't as shocking given their pedigrees, but AIC...I think most of us are still a little shocked they won AHC let alone just beat the #1 overall.
                        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                          Probably something to do with the fact the program hasn't had a winning season since 1993 and has never ever finished above 8th in the worst conference in D1 hockey prior to this year. Air Force and RIT stealing wins off #1 seeds isn't as shocking given their pedigrees, but AIC...I think most of us are still a little shocked they won AHC let alone just beat the #1 overall.
                          This is exactly the reason. I think RIT and Air Force have earned respect in the NCAA tournament due to their success. AIC has been such an afterthought in conference let alone in the national spotlight. People still think of them as a doormat instead of the contender they seem to be.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Hard to win two nights in a row in a shell like AIC played. They were able to get the famous win last night (probably the biggest upset in NCAA tourney history, considering where they've been for the large majority of their D-1 life) with an early goal and overall shaky goaltending from the opposition (as well as outstanding defending and goaltending themselves), but Denver looked much more composed and was always the more likely team to break through the longer the game went.

Congrats to AIC for a fantastic season. They took care of the mediocre Atlantic Hockey competition in a way we did not. (They were 22-6-1 against Atlantic Hockey teams not named RIT if you include the playoffs, we were 11-13-4 against the same pool of teams).

At this point, there has to be something to the pressure a #1 seed feels in their opening game. Just in the last 5 years the AH AQ is 4-1-0 in the first round of the NCAA's (3-1 vs. #1 overall seeds) and those same teams were 9-20-4 in non-conference games throughout the regular season (6-17-2 if you take out the Air Force team that was a #3 seed in the tourney and hence didn't face a #1).

But RIT remains the only Atlantic Hockey team to win a regional, and if you remember while the first game probably fits the mold of keeping it tight and allowing the other team to control the majority of the puck while they held on to an early goal, in the 2nd game they flipped the script and absolutely dominated New Hampshire and controlled the majority of the play while the game was in doubt. Like I opened my post with, if you want to make a frozen four, it's really hard to win 2 games in a row when the opponent dominates the puck and shot attempts.
                            Last edited by jflory81; 03-30-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I think people calling AIC's win against Saint Cloud, "probably the biggest upset in NCAA tourney history" are wrong and missing what's going on in College Hockey.

Now, all with all due respect to AIC who made me eat my own words when I thought they were very overrated in the preseason coaches poll. I don't think this upset, nor the ones RIT and Air Force pulled were anything near the upset of Holy Cross over Minnesota. That AIC team had by far more talent than Holy Cross did and Minnesota had at least as much talent if not more than Saint Cloud. I don't want to sound like I am talking down that Holy Cross team, but no one gave them a chance to even be close to Minnesota. Anyone who followed the AHA knows that as remarkable as the AIC turnaround was, this team was the big deal. It's not like the league took a big step backwards and AIC stole a title. They had the talent and will be a force to deal with next year and probably for years to come.

I believe we are in an age similar to College Basketball where teams are going to need to balance players who will be "One and Done" and good college hockey players who will spend 4 quality years in College. Off the top of my head I can not name a player in the AHA who was an 18 year old Freshman in the AHA. I think this has been another great equalizer in what already was becoming a very close talent pool in men's college hockey. It has created the parity we talk so often about in Atlantic Hockey. As much as we comment about the faults of this league, and there are plenty, one thing we do have to acknowledge is it has successfully moved from a cost containment league to a league where all teams can compete against any team in division one hockey. The next step will be finding away to produce more than one team going to the tournament. Also teams that have a better than average chance to win a National Championship. Right now they can do damage, but it's hard to see one achieving more than RIT did in 2010.
                              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule
                              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Catching up with the news that Abbott and Erik have now signed pro contracts I went to read the recap of the Toledo Walleye game that Abbott played in, a 2-1 win over the Cincinnati Cyclones. After going down 1-0, Abbott got the equalizer before the Walleye won in the extra frame. Abbott got the third start of the game. Oh, the player who scored the Cyclones goal? Myles Powell. Tigers making their mark.. I hope Erik makes an immediate impact too.
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X