X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    ...and the 2012 final felt like a 50-50 proposition to me, like this year;
    I disagree on both 12 & 19. After West gave the Gophers the lead back at 3-2 Raty just wasn't going to give up another goal. This year I thought the Badgers dominated the play throughout and not really giving the Gophers any chance at all. 14 & 16 I agree were tossups.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by oggie View Post
      I would think anything less than a national title every other year with his advantage in recruiting would be underachieving. Weren't the Olympics last years excuse?What was this years? What about the players he has now?
      Well by your standards, Frost is just fine - he's won an NC 4 of the last 8 years. In all honesty, 2017 was a rebulding year after winning 4 of the previous 5 NCs. 2018 was an olympic year which did leave team gutted - how often is a freshman your top scorer?

This makes 2019 the only year that is even up for debate. Without a particularly strong team in UW it was an NC year - UW with 9 of its top 11 scorers being upperclassmen. The only two other losses came in series that the Gophers won with goal differentials of +5 (UMD) and +13 (OSU). No, UW was just too strong this year.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

I'm just sayin, looks to me like everybody else is catching up.
        Bemidji has a great recruiting class,
        Mankato has had two and 2020 is another great one.
        I don't see a lot of coaching up. I see a distinct similarity to gopher men. Best talent top to bottom but you need role players to.

Comment

I'm just sayin, looks to me like everybody else is catching up.
          Bemidji has a great recruiting class,
          Mankato has had two and 2020 is another great one.
          It would be nice if Mankato caught up a little. That program hasn't had a winning season since 2004, and hasn't reached double digits in wins since 2014. I can remember the Gophers losing to the Mavericks, but I have to think back more than a decade. So more competition from Minnesota State would be a good thing for the league.

I see a distinct similarity to gopher men. Best talent top to bottom but you need role players to.
          I thought that was one of the strengths of this year's UM team. People like Oden and Skaja clearly deserved bigger roles, but they made the most of what they were given in any game. As for a comparison to the Gopher men, I think you're just throwing some random comment out there without any basis in fact. You'll have to offer some support, or I'll assume that you're just trolling.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Yes, but she does offer some skills that translate to being a forward.
            she has a nice shot, seems to know putting it in the net requires something more than a hope and a prayer

Best talent top to bottom but you need role players to.
            what was Skarzynski? and Robinson? are you even familiar with the team? BTW, do three MN teams making the #1 seed on the men's side finally convince U of MN they need a culture change???
            ask me if I care

2018 they lacked bodies and experience at the blue line
            2019 they were still young
            next year is their year
            Last edited by pokechecker; 03-30-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              ...and the 2012 final felt like a 50-50 proposition to me, like this year; and Wisconsin had a 3-2 lead going into the 3rd period in the 2014 NCAA semi; and the 2016 NCAA semi was an overtime, and ...

That's what makes it the rivalry it is.
              2015 was no cake walk either in the semi, when the Gophers survived the first period, that pretty much told me they were going to win it all
              and then there was 2014 ....

IMO, it does come down to the team that wants it more, or does the little things, ... or puck luck ...
              maybe that gives the Gophers an edge in 2020, only one of them have won an NCAA before

Comment

Well, when it comes to scoring, UMn is losing 112 pts, while UW loses 157 pts and Clarkson loses 172 pts. So going into next year, without benefit from recruiting, the Gophers have the advantage. And the Gophers bring in more recruits than those 2 programs, right? So how do the recruiting classes compare?

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                  Well, when it comes to scoring, UMn is losing 112 pts, while UW loses 157 pts and Clarkson loses 172 pts. So going into next year, without benefit from recruiting, the Gophers have the advantage. And the Gophers bring in more recruits than those 2 programs, right? So how do the recruiting classes compare?
                  If you believe Neutral Zones evaluations of the Top 10 recruiting classes

# Name Conference
                  1 Colgate ECAC
                  2 Clarkson ECAC
                  3 Boston College Hockey East
                  4 Ohio State WCHA
                  5 Northeastern Hockey East
                  6 Wisconsin WCHA
                  7 Cornell ECAC
                  8 Dartmouth ECAC
                  9 UNH Hockey East
                  10 Providence Hockey East

Not saying they are right or wrong, just sayin what they are sayin.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    If you believe Neutral Zones evaluations of the Top 10 recruiting classes

# Name Conference
                    1 Colgate ECAC
                    2 Clarkson ECAC
                    3 Boston College Hockey East
                    4 Ohio State WCHA
                    5 Northeastern Hockey East
                    6 Wisconsin WCHA
                    7 Cornell ECAC
                    8 Dartmouth ECAC
                    9 UNH Hockey East
                    10 Providence Hockey East

Not saying they are right or wrong, just sayin what they are sayin.
                    Thanks! Can I speculate that all these schools have more than 3 recruits in their incoming classes. Gophers have only 3 incoming.

The loss of HUX tracking incoming commitments is a big loss that this forum has yet to recover from

Comment

Top 10 Freshman Classes by scoring 2018-19
                      1-in addition, the Gophers Freshman class had 2 defensemen in Hengler and Ostertag who should be key players
                      2-Wisconsin, at #5, only had 3 freshmen
                      ....................G....A......P
                      Minnesota.....44...82...126
                      Princeton......51...69...120
                      UMD.............43...72...115
                      Northeastern.38...61....99
                      Wisconsin......44...42....86
                      Colgate.........34...51....85
                      Yale..............30...51....81
                      BU................29...39...68
                      Harvard.........29...37...66
                      Maine............22...42...64

Comment

Really 1 incoming impact recruit. Wethington. This thread predicted Sheran as a maybe fourth liner. Pahl will be be a target in practice like May was. Scobee and Gulstene for 2 more years in the gopher net. Wondering what will happen with D'angleo. Two years without suiting up.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          Thanks! Can I speculate that all these schools have more than 3 recruits in their incoming classes. Gophers have only 3 incoming.

The loss of HUX tracking incoming commitments is a big loss that this forum has yet to recover from
                          Colgate has 7 commits 5 forwards and 2 defense
                          Clarkson has 6 commits, 3 forwards and 2 defense + 1 player listed as a forward or defense.

Cannot see any of the other teams unless you are a subscriber and pay a fee (I am not).

https://www.neutralzone.net/womens/
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Clarkson has 6 commits, 3 forwards and 2 defense + 1 player listed as a forward or defense.
                            Do you know what the Clarkson goaltending plan for the upcoming season is? Marie-Pier Coulombe, or maybe another transfer?

Looking at the top seven teams from this year, any of whom could have been very close to the top, the teams hardest hit by graduation look to be BC, Clarkson and Wisconsin. BC's blue line goes from being a strength (or at least we presumed it would be), to quite raw. The Golden Knights lose an All-American goalie and six of their top 10 scorers (one being the reigning Kaz winner), including two D who played a lot. Wisconsin graduates two D, including their best one, and five of its top 10 scorers; the four graduating forwards totaled 539 points in their careers.

The Gophers' seven graduating skaters totaled 436 points in their careers, with 403 of that production coming from the four who played sizable roles as seniors. I'd say they are the fourth-hardest hit of these seven teams.

Cornell graduates its goalie, but does return some experience in net and its blue line returns intact. Up front, they lose three seniors who were more role players and combined for 151 points in their careers. If Browning can handle the starters role, the Big Red should be just fine.

Northeastern loses Anderson and Sullivan, who combined for 199 points in their careers. Anderson was playing on the top line, but the Huskies should have the depth to weather that. On D, they lose the Hartman whose first name is spelled Maddie, and both backup goalies. Overall, the impact should be fairly minimal.

Princeton's biggest losses are Lund (131 pts) up front and Sucharda on D. The Tigers also graduate a couple of role-playing forwards. They have some impact juniors to fill any leadership hole, so they should be fine as well.

Overall, it looks like the field tightens up a bit, with Cornell having a more realistic hope of winning it all this year.

As for Minnesota, I think the fans feel better about the D (returning a lot more experience) and goaltending than they did coming into the season. The forwards aren't as deep, but to a slight extent, they never quite achieved their full potential as a group. Williamson slumped late, and Pannek was inconsistent throughout. She had a few great weekends, but more where she seemed out of synch.

I don't see one team where I think it is their title to lose, but I think these teams will be in the mix again. BC and Clarkson look to be the two whose chances take the biggest hit. Yes, they have top-ranked classes coming in, but I've also heard that this isn't as strong a class overall as the last couple were. We can add Colgate, Providence, BU, Ohio State, and UMD to the mix, and the winner is just about certain to come from those dozen teams.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              It would be nice if Mankato caught up a little. That program hasn't had a winning season since 2004, and hasn't reached double digits in wins since 2014. I can remember the Gophers losing to the Mavericks, but I have to think back more than a decade. So more competition from Minnesota State would be a good thing for the league.

I thought that was one of the strengths of this year's UM team. People like Oden and Skaja clearly deserved bigger roles, but they made the most of what they were given in any game. As for a comparison to the Gopher men, I think you're just throwing some random comment out there without any basis in fact. You'll have to offer some support, or I'll assume that you're just trolling.
                              Agree. I think there has been some culture change albeit slow. Best scoring yet to come from underclassmen and some great recruits on the way. Goaltending has the potential to be best in WCHA. Hopefully the incoming D can continue to improve the blueline presence. But good things happening. Look for continued improvement on last year and some T's becoming W's.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Do you know what the Clarkson goaltending plan for the upcoming season is? Marie-Pier Coulombe, or maybe another transfer?

Looking at the top seven teams from this year, any of whom could have been very close to the top, the teams hardest hit by graduation look to be BC, Clarkson and Wisconsin. BC's blue line goes from being a strength (or at least we presumed it would be), to quite raw. The Golden Knights lose an All-American goalie and six of their top 10 scorers (one being the reigning Kaz winner), including two D who played a lot. Wisconsin graduates two D, including their best one, and five of its top 10 scorers; the four graduating forwards totaled 539 points in their careers.

.......... BC and Clarkson look to be the two whose chances take the biggest hit. Yes, they have top-ranked classes coming in, but I've also heard that this isn't as strong a class overall as the last couple were. ......
                                As for Clarkson's goaltending they have 2, Kia Castonguay (will be Jr) and Marie-Pier Coulombe (will be Soph). Castonguay did not play her Freshman year and started 1 game this year. Coulombe certainly has the pedigree based on her record with Limoilou. She started 3 games (one was the disasterous loss to Yale in which she was pulled) but she won the other 2 against Union giving up 1 total goals. Neither goalie is big (both are listed as 5' 5"). Since I am in Maryland I really know little about the goings on in Potsdam and usually find things out by reading the Clarkson Roundtable.

Your last statement may apply to BC but it certainly does not apply to Clarkson when you discount the 2 grad transfers Cianfarano and Sauve. Take away Giguere from the to be Jr's and Sophs, the 6 forward recruits had a total of 12 goals this season.

This freshman class with Veillette, David and McQuigge at forward would seem to provide much needed scoring depth. On defense Bernard, Markowski and Wisnewski will hopefully make up for the departed Pozzebon and Keenan and may allow Taylor Turnquist to shift to a forward position.

The other big helper on offense and defense at the forward position will be the return of Rhyne McGill for her senior season from the surgery that kept her on the sidelines for 2018-2019.

Making up for the loss of Gabel and Cianfarano up front and Sauve in goal will be the biggest issues facing Matt and his staff. IMHO, Cornell, and Colgate and Princeton will be the top 3 in the ECAC with Clarkson in 4th. Sorry to hijack the Minn thread. Back to our normal Minnesota station.
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Working...
                                X