Frozen Four Scalping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Four Scalping

Since I'm not a regular at the Frozen Four or on a list for tickets I'm curious, what percentage of people who receive tickets would you guess scalp them for profit?
    And how much would that number increase do you think if someone's team didn't make it there?

Re: Frozen Four Scalping

I think the days of profiting much from them are pretty much over. I made good money the Eichel year because it was Eichel + Providence + UND in Boston.

Comment

Last time in Buffalo you could get tickets from the scalpers on game day at below face.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I had tickets for last year and then something came up last minute. I bought the flash tickets which could only be sold through the NCAA site I believe. I believe I made a profit of $1 for the pair. Then again, I was just trying to get my money back and there was no way to break even with the fees they charged...
        #NewMass

Comment

I was curious because I have a friend who's worked at Ohio State for decades and he's entitled to buy season football tickets which he promptly turns around and sells every year for a profit so I was wondering if the same thing goes on much for FF tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
            I was curious because I have a friend who's worked at Ohio State for decades and he's entitled to buy season football tickets which he promptly turns around and sells every year for a profit so I was wondering if the same thing goes on much for FF tickets.
            OSU football is a guaranteed sellout when he buys his tix. The frozen four is a fickle animal ticket wise. All depending on who is playing, the location, and the fact that you do not know who is playing until a two weeks before the event. It can't be compared to the final four as there are way many less fans of college hockey. The best scalping deals at the regionals and finals are buying tickets from fans who lost the day before and don't want to attend the regional and frozen four finals. I once had a Jesuit Priest from Boston College hand me for free a club level seat for the FF semis in Philly a few years ago. That said, as with most scalping deals, wait till the last minute or a few minutes into the event. Buffalo FF still has official tickets available online for purchase BTW.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Since I'm not a regular at the Frozen Four or on a list for tickets I'm curious, what percentage of people who receive tickets would you guess scalp them for profit?
              0.00%
              I haven't even come close to breaking even on selling an extra/unused ticket since Wisconsin made it to Milwaukee FF in 2006.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                0.00%
                I haven't even come close to breaking even on selling an extra/unused ticket since Wisconsin made it to Milwaukee FF in 2006.
                I would also think it has to do with the venue. I didn't go, but everyone who went said Tampa has been the best one. It makes sense that a place that is more like a "vacation destination" would attract more of the non "hard core" fans, therefore raising the demand. I would imagine in Buffalo you're going to get only the fans of the participating teams and perhaps the die-hards who go every year, but not much else.

EDIT: Not disparaging Buffalo, but most of us have just endured five months of cold. I would be more inclined to go to Tampa then I would Buffalo, just to escape!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  0.00%
                  I made a huge profit on an unused semifinal ticket in 2015

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                    I said in a previous post why that was the case. It was an outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      I would also think it has to do with the venue. I didn't go, but everyone who went said Tampa has been the best one. It makes sense that a place that is more like a "vacation destination" would attract more of the non "hard core" fans, therefore raising the demand. I would imagine in Buffalo you're going to get only the fans of the participating teams and perhaps the die-hards who go every year, but not much else.

EDIT: Not disparaging Buffalo, but most of us have just endured five months of cold. I would be more inclined to go to Tampa then I would Buffalo, just to escape!
                      I can't remember if it did in 2012, but I do remember that in 2016, the Tampa FF didn't sell out ahead of time. I'm pretty sure scalpers were not too common place there. Plus, not too many people are going to travel all the way to Florida in the hopes of buying scalped tickets. Walk-ups are far less common to hockey games in the Sun Belt.

Although not a destination location, Buffalo does have the best hockey fan base in the US for its size, maybe even one of the best in North America. There's a much better chance for local walk-ups there than at some other venues (with the notable exception of when there is a "home" team like Wisconsin in Milwaukee, BU/Providence in Boston, UMn in St. Paul). I doubt it would be enough to create any sort of scalper's market, but it will definitely be better from that aspect than in Tampa, Colombus, Washington or Anaheim. Although I will note that the Sabres are making it more difficult every year for hockey fans in Buffalo to be happy about the sport. Sooner or later, they're going to wear down. But for now they still always lead the US-based NHL cities in ratings for Stanley Cup playoff games that the local team isn't participating in by a longshot.
                      Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM.
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                        I didn't have any extras in 2015, so can't comment on that.

Comment

Working...
                        X