Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Is there no US coverage of this tournament?
    No, we're getting a "great feed" from TSN.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

TSN covers international events that NHL and NBCSN piggy back off.

USA up 6 - 0 over Russia after 2. Knight is having quite an evening.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Some pretty interesting comments just now from the Canadian coach (being interviewed by Tessa Bonhomme) about the program's now having the opportunity to see in the dressing room who can handle the pressure in these tournaments and the Olympics and who can't. He seemed to be implying that today's result vs Finland showed that some can't, indicating that with a little adversity today the Canadian players tossed team play and their game plan out the window.

One loss...to a great team, and they are talking this way. His comments would definitely lead one to believe that Canada didn't play well in the last two periods. I saw the 3rd period and thought desperation was rearing it's ugly head with several one player offensive efforts. Don't know what the 2nd period looked like.

But I strongly suspect there would have been none of this talk, at least publicly, if they had won.

Constantly striving for excellence and improvement is admirable but sometimes you are left wondering if it goes too far. At the same time I understand that if you take your foot off the pedal, ever, for whatever reason, you potentially (and usually do) start going backwards. A conundrum for high need achievers, in any endeavour, which sometimes seems ridiculous and maybe even somewhat inhumane.

And thanks to the two posters for the info on the first two periods of the Canada vs Finland game that the tech gods saw fit that I should not see.

Comment

The gap between the top three and everyone else seems to be getting larger.

The U.S. outscored teams other than Canada and Finland 30-0 in four games.
          Canada outscored teams other than the U.S. and Finalnd 16-1 in three games, with the bronze medal game against Russia still to come.
          Finland outscored teams other than the U.S. and Canada 13-3 in three games.

Despite pulling the upset today, Finland seems to still be the third best team, losing to the U.S. and Canada by a combined 12-3 in group play. But that gap seems seems smaller than that between Finland and whoever is the fourth best team.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Some pretty interesting comments just now from the Canadian coach (being interviewed by Tessa Bonhomme) about the program's now having the opportunity to see in the dressing room who can handle the pressure in these tournaments and the Olympics and who can't. He seemed to be implying that today's result vs Finland showed that some can't, indicating that with a little adversity today
            Maybe it’s just me but I’m not a fan of Pearn at all. I find it hard to believe what his players needed in that moment was to be thrown under a bus.

Great job by the Finns. Congrats and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              You're right, but it is more "neck" than "nick" in the second syllable.
              Thank you for confirming that I was hearing the names pronunced incorrectly. It doesn't take that much preparation to figure this stuff out, I know the Gopher media guides give phonetic pronunciation of the playes's names. Our "Dan the Radio Man" could have done a much better job!

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                Thank you for confirming that I was hearing the names pronunced incorrectly. It doesn't take that much preparation to figure this stuff out, I know the Gopher media guides give phonetic pronunciation of the playes's names. Our "Dan the Radio Man" could have done a much better job!
                What the pawnic?

Comment

Anyone know if either or both of the Potomaks were in the mix for Team Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    Despite pulling the upset today, Finland seems to still be the third best team, losing to the U.S. and Canada by a combined 12-3 in group play. But that gap seems seems smaller than that between Finland and whoever is the fourth best team.
                    As a followup, I'm still worried about the medium term future for the Finns. While there's plenty of youth across the roster, the scoring is heavily skewed towards players 29 or older, the defense looks vulnerable during the roughly 90 seconds a game that Jenni Hiirikoski isn't on the ice, and Noora Räty won't be around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      As a followup, I'm still worried about the medium term future for the Finns. While there's plenty of youth across the roster, the scoring is heavily skewed towards players 29 or older, the defense looks vulnerable during the roughly 90 seconds a game that Jenni Hiirikoski isn't on the ice, and Noora Räty won't be around forever.
                      Noora might be done after this tournament iirc
                      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                        It would be a nice way to go out; winning the country's highest ever medal in her hometown.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Just wondering if US fans are getting the documentary on the history of the US vs Can rivalry going back to 1998 that has followed this morning's Russia vs Canada Bronze Medal Game on TSN?

Excellent documentary with endless interviews and interesting stories and insights from both sides going as far back as over 20 years. Very entertaining.

It's called "Engraved on a Nation".
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-14-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                            Seriously? She really looks washed up.

Comment

Nailbiter

Finland gets an OTGWG denied after a 6 min review. Clustercluck by officials and review staff.
                              Last edited by joecct; 04-14-2019, 03:00 PM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Nailbiter

Finland gets an OTGWG denied after a 6 min review.

I'll edit my post. 6 minutes? Game's still over for me.
                                Last edited by KTDC; 04-14-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X