National Championship - Norwich v Stevens Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    If they are going to do a campus site, have the semi finals on one weekend at two campus sites and the final the following weekend at the higher surviving seed.

If you do a Frozen Four on a campus site, you risk the possibility of an empty house for the championship game (been there, done that). How many people in Wisconsin would have come out to Norwich/Hobart final? With a neutral site Frozen Four, you get fans of all four teams in the area. I still love the Lake Placid site.

I'd still like to see a neutral site "Frozen 8," with the mens and women's semis and finals all in the same place. Play one set of semis Friday night, the other gender semis on Saturday night and a championship doubleheader on Sunday.
    Only thing you risk is a marathon 1st game that pushes the nightcap back a few hours.

Next year us HarborCenter - same site as AHA finals. This year they were on the same weekend. What happens next year?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: National Championship - Norwich v Stevens Point

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      Was there some controversy post game involving handshakes? Last thing I saw as the screen faded to black was a number of people looking towards the Cadets locker room and what I thought was people booing. Made me think that the Cadets were skating off when people weren't expecting them too. But on Twitter I see pictures of the handshake line.

Not that I blame NU. I thought they stood around for a bit expecting to shake hands immediately after the game but that UWSP was busy celebrating (not blaming them either) and then the teams were kind of ushered to the blue lines. Then UWSP got the trophy and skated towards their student section, the Cadets probably thought that was it, and then they skated off. But, this was all from a static camera angle, so I'm unsure.
      The post-game awards ceremony did not go as it was supposed to. It was a mess to say the least. The handshake should have happened once Point was done celebrating and then runner up individual trophies should have been awarded as well as the runner up team trophy. Then National Championship individual trophies and then the team trophy at the end so the losing team can then leave the ice while the winning team celebrates.

They skipped over the individual awards and went right to the team trophies which screwed everything up.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        The post-game awards ceremony did not go as it was supposed to. It was a mess to say the least. The handshake should have happened once Point was done celebrating and then runner up individual trophies should have been awarded as well as the runner up team trophy. Then National Championship individual trophies and then the team trophy at the end so the losing team can then leave the ice while the winning team celebrates.

They skipped over the individual awards and went right to the team trophies which screwed everything up.
        Yeah, the impression was that they fumbled it a bit. Seemed like people were upset that Norwich skated off, but at that point I thought it absurd to expect them to stick around to watch Point celebrate after the trophy had been presented.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Yeah, the impression was that they fumbled it a bit. Seemed like people were upset that Norwich skated off, but at that point I thought it absurd to expect them to stick around to watch Point celebrate after the trophy had been presented.
          Did the fans seriously boo? Bad taste if that’s the case. Wasn’t their fault, whole thing Was botched

Comment

"Norwich College" was asked to come back to the ice over the PA system by the PA announcer. The crowd did boo a little bit but I don't think some of the crowd realized what was happening and why Norwich was leaving. Once the championship trophy is presented, the losing team has every right to get off the ice. They don't need to be out there while the other team celebrates.

In no way was it Norwich's intention to slight UWSP on the handshake line. Coach Krueger came over and admitted to Coach Ellsworth it was screwed up and apologized. There was no ill will amongst the teams. They knew what happened and the sequence was incorrect.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Was there some controversy post game involving handshakes? Last thing I saw as the screen faded to black was a number of people looking towards the Cadets locker room and what I thought was people booing. Made me think that the Cadets were skating off when people weren't expecting them too. But on Twitter I see pictures of the handshake line.

Not that I blame NU. I thought they stood around for a bit expecting to shake hands immediately after the game but that UWSP was busy celebrating (not blaming them either) and then the teams were kind of ushered to the blue lines. Then UWSP got the trophy and skated towards their student section, the Cadets probably thought that was it, and then they skated off. But, this was all from a static camera angle, so I'm unsure.
              Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

As the game ended, Stevens Point was celebrating and after a time Norwich lined up across the blue line anticipating I would expect Stevens Point to come and line up for the traditional hand shake. As Point finished their initial celebrating the players headed toward center ice and it seemed to me were directed to line up on the blue line rather than proceed to lining up to shake hands which I believe they intended to do. I still do not understand why the teams/player did not shake hands at this point/time as would be normal. With both teams standing at their blue lines the PA announcer introduced the All Tournament team and then went off script and announced the runner up trophy rather that the individual player awards to the runner up team. Then rather that introduce the runner up team players individually to get back on script he announced the Championship trophy. After the Point seniors came forward to receive the trophy they skated with the trophy and all the players down to the student section for another celebration. At that point/time the Norwich team left the ice believing the ceremony was over and not wanting to stand around watching Point celebrate (why would they?) At least one or two officials(NCAA?) standing in the Norwich bench area came out on the ice and appeared to plead with the Norwich coach to get his team back on the ice. The team was gone and the coaches left the ice headed to the locker room. The four NCAA officials standing at center ice handing out the awards seemed to look at each other with a what just happen surprise look. Now I can't remember actually the timing of the next chain of events, I think the Point players lined up on the blue line again and the PA announcer began introducing the individual awards to the Point players, as this was going on the Norwich team came back out on the ice and lined up at the blue line. After all the Point players received their individual trophies the Point and Norwich players line up and went through the hand shake line. After everyone had finished the Norwich player left the ice and Point continued the celebration. The individual trophy's for the runner ups were left on the table at center ice.

I would not fault either team but I found the whole thing rather strange and uncomfortable for all players, coaches, officials involved. The hand shake should of happened before any trophy's and the individual player trophy should have been given before the team trophy's for both runner up's and Champions. It is unfortunate the PA announcer went off script but I think everyone handed themselves with class and respect.
              4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
              SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Only thing you risk is a marathon 1st game that pushes the nightcap back a few hours.

Next year us HarborCenter - same site as AHA finals. This year they were on the same weekend. What happens next year?
                You do realize that now when it’s in Lake Plavid, they push it out a week to not conflict with the ECAC championship. Come on Joe, you know that. Plus, they already announced the dates for next year.

Plus, the AHA deal with the HarborCenter was only for this year (at least as of today).
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
                  As the game ended, Stevens Point was celebrating and after a time Norwich lined up across the blue line anticipating I would expect Stevens Point to come and line up for the traditional hand shake. As Point finished their initial celebrating the players headed toward center ice and it seemed to me were directed to line up on the blue line rather than proceed to lining up to shake hands which I believe they intended to do. I still do not understand why the teams/player did not shake hands at this point/time as would be normal. With both teams standing at their blue lines the PA announcer introduced the All Tournament team and then went off script and announced the runner up trophy rather that the individual player awards to the runner up team. Then rather that introduce the runner up team players individually to get back on script he announced the Championship trophy. After the Point seniors came forward to receive the trophy they skated with the trophy and all the players down to the student section for another celebration. At that point/time the Norwich team left the ice believing the ceremony was over and not wanting to stand around watching Point celebrate (why would they?) At least one or two officials(NCAA?) standing in the Norwich bench area came out on the ice and appeared to plead with the Norwich coach to get his team back on the ice. The team was gone and the coaches left the ice headed to the locker room. The four NCAA officials standing at center ice handing out the awards seemed to look at each other with a what just happen surprise look. Now I can't remember actually the timing of the next chain of events, I think the Point players lined up on the blue line again and the PA announcer began introducing the individual awards to the Point players, as this was going on the Norwich team came back out on the ice and lined up at the blue line. After all the Point players received their individual trophies the Point and Norwich players line up and went through the hand shake line. After everyone had finished the Norwich player left the ice and Point continued the celebration. The individual trophy's for the runner ups were left on the table at center ice.

I would not fault either team but I found the whole thing rather strange and uncomfortable for all players, coaches, officials involved. The hand shake should of happened before any trophy's and the individual player trophy should have been given before the team trophy's for both runner up's and Champions. It is unfortunate the PA announcer went off script but I think everyone handed themselves with class and respect.
                  Glad to hear everyone handled it well. Like I said, camera went black when people started booing, so wasn't sure what was going on.
                  Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    You do realize that now when it’s in Lake Plavid, they push it out a week to not conflict with the ECAC championship. Come on Joe, you know that. Plus, they already announced the dates for next year.

Plus, the AHA deal with the HarborCenter was only for this year (at least as of today).
                    Wasn't sure. Thanks.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Knowing how much the NCAA scripts everything, and seeing that the on-ice presenters thought the ceremony would get back on track, maybe is another reason to have neutral sites going forward. I remember the announcer at Norwich making a serious mistake at a championship setting, and a new announcer started the next season.
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                        Knowing how much the NCAA scripts everything, and seeing that the on-ice presenters thought the ceremony would get back on track, maybe is another reason to have neutral sites going forward. I remember the announcer at Norwich making a serious mistake at a championship setting, and a new announcer started the next season.
                        Heck, that guy was fired the moment he stepped off the platform...
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                          Heck, that guy was fired the moment he stepped off the platform...
                          Now I'm intrigued, what happened?
                          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                            Now I'm intrigued, what happened?
                            Norwich hosted the frozen four. Their semifinal match was against archrival Middlebury.

First, some information. Even if you host an NCAA playoff game and you are the home team, you must treat the event as a neutral site. In other words, for example, the PA announcing must be unbiased. So, if in the past you tended to present your team with much fanfare and "mumble" the other team when they got on the ice, you can't do that. You must present both teams with much fanfare or "mumble" for both. Same with announcing goal scorers and music or foghorns after goals, etc. Everything has to be equal. This is all spelled out ahead of time and mentioned to those involved.

So, the Norwich PA announcer, who was quite a flamboyant guy, wore a loud suit and would stand on a platform behind the crowd, decided to not only break that rule, but commit an altogether egregious infraction.

Considering it was such a rival, he decided it would be "funny" if he used the Middlebury women's roster when announcing the starting lineup. Whatever number was being announced, he read from the women's roster instead of the men's roster. For a regular season game, that would have been fine and just another talking point in the rivalry. For this game...

Well, the NCAA went apoplectic. They couldn't find a Norwich school official fast enough. And like I said, the PA announcer was virtually fired the moment he left the platform. He was never seen again the rest of that weekend.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Norwich hosted the frozen four. Their semifinal match was against archrival Middlebury.

First, some information. Even if you host an NCAA playoff game and you are the home team, you must treat the event as a neutral site. In other words, for example, the PA announcing must be unbiased. So, if in the past you tended to present your team with much fanfare and "mumble" the other team when they got on the ice, you can't do that. You must present both teams with much fanfare or "mumble" for both. Same with announcing goal scorers and music or foghorns after goals, etc. Everything has to be equal. This is all spelled out ahead of time and mentioned to those involved.

So, the Norwich PA announcer, who was quite a flamboyant guy, wore a loud suit and would stand on a platform behind the crowd, decided to not only break that rule, but commit an altogether egregious infraction.

Considering it was such a rival, he decided it would be "funny" if he used the Middlebury women's roster when announcing the starting lineup. Whatever number was being announced, he read from the women's roster instead of the men's roster. For a regular season game, that would have been fine and just another talking point in the rivalry. For this game...

Well, the NCAA went apoplectic. They couldn't find a Norwich school official fast enough. And like I said, the PA announcer was virtually fired the moment he left the platform. He was never seen again the rest of that weekend.
                              I was there for that one. 2004. Flamboyant doesn't begin to describe it. He thought everyone was there to see him.

Comment

I was able to watch every second of all three games and they were all excellent hockey games with great atmospheres courtesy of the Point following and the pep band. I know the NCAA Committee picked the All-Tournament team and they have to do a true team i believe with 3 F, 2 D, G and all came from the national championship game teams.

However, just wanted to provide my 2 cents that the following were the most impressive players I saw on the ice all weekend.

Geneseo - Duggie Lagrone (Defense)
                                Hobart - Travis Schneider (Forward)
                                Norwich - Coby Downs (Forward), Tom Aubrun (Goalie)
                                Stevens Point - Danny Kiraly (Defense), Tanner Karty (Forward), Colin Raver (Forward)
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X