Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Free content rarely gets it done for me. You can include network TV aim that too. YMMV.

Look, do what makes you happy. I’m not trying to say you can’t be happy with just college hockey. If that’s what works for you, great! I think I’ve beaten this beyond dead.sorry about that.
    What are you trying to get that isn't readily available online either for free or a nominal charge?

Comment

HBO, a smattering of channels on cable like FX, MSNBC, gopher hockey. A few guilty pleasures like Oak Island, Top Chef, and Alton Brown. I have Netflix and have shared accounts with Hulu and Prime.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Probably that after all that cord cutting over the last decade, your bills are essentially the same, just going to different companies.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

HBO, a smattering of channels on cable like FX, MSNBC, gopher hockey. A few guilty pleasures like Oak Island, Top Chef, and Alton Brown. I have Netflix and have shared accounts with Hulu and Prime.
          HBO isn't free on any platfrom, including cable or satellite. FX and MSNBC are available through apps and I have no idea about your individual shows but maybe BBC America or the app for the network they're on. There's always torrenting (but stealing is wrong! â„¢). Goofer hockey is the tough nut to crack. UMaine offers a free stream and has a deal with Fox College Sports so home games are always available.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            I dunno. I want to watch college hockey, and so I sign up for a $40/month subscription that gets me practically all the Gopher games plus a good smattering of other college hockey games. At the end of the season I can just drop it and walk away, then pick it up again next season - all in just a couple clicks and for no penalty.

Try to do that with cable or satellite.
            $40/month is a pretty steep price to get zero other content. Couple that with an internet bill and you’re already up to half the cost of a premium tier of cable plus internet. Again, with zero extra content. Toss in Netflix or Hulu and you’re up over $100.
            Yeah that’s what I mean. $40 is half of the cost of a premium tier of cable if you take off the cost of internet.
            Exactly. Half the cost (at most) and you can come and go as you please.
            With zero extra content.
            All in all, the atmosphere's about the same as attending a game at the Mother Mining Morgue Arena. So really, you could either spend $40/mo during the season for what Stauber's getting, or $35-70/game (assuming 2 tickets) for the same exact experience.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Probably that after all that cord cutting over the last decade, your bills are essentially the same, just going to different companies.
              Not me. Rather than pay Comcast $250/month for TV, cable and phone I now pay $40 for TV, $55 for Internet (upgraded to business, have a static IP and doubled speed) and $58 for phone. My Netflix, Hulu and Amazon subscriptions all predated my cord cutting. When Disney+ rolls out this fall that will go up slightly (I'm guessing $15) but there is next to nothing I can't access on my PS4 or Roku that I'm interested in watching. If I feel like getting HBO to see the final few episodes of GoT I can pay an additional #15 for the app - the same as I'd pay for it on Cable or Satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Not me. Rather than pay Comcast $250/month for TV, cable and phone I now pay $40 for TV, $55 for Internet (upgraded to business, have a static IP and doubled speed) and $58 for phone. My Netflix, Hulu and Amazon subscriptions all predated my cord cutting. When Disney+ rolls out this fall that will go up slightly (I'm guessing $15) but there is next to nothing I can't access on my PS4 or Roku that I'm interested in watching. If I feel like getting HBO to see the final few episodes of GoT I can pay an additional #15 for the app - the same as I'd pay for it on Cable or Satellite.
                First, Disney announced that their Disney+ will be less expensive than Netflix because it won't have the same amount of content. So $12.98 instead of $12.99.

Second, get your HBO through Hulu and you won't have to deal with an extra subscription, just a quick management update to your Hulu account.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned Youtube TV.
                  If you are a sports fan it is hard to beat:
                  BTN, FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, CBS Sports, NBCSN, Olympic Channel, MLB Network and an alternate, NBA TV, SEC channel, some golf channel, and I get a regional NBC sports channel as well.

Plus all the local affiliates and a number of the higher demand channels like BBC or SyFy or TBS. All for $40.

As to the OP, you also get the Smithsonian channel and a couple Nat Geo channels in the base package. Don't get some of the others you mentioned, not sure how much more it would be to add them to your package a la carte.
                  I mentioned Youtube TV on page 1. I've used it since last summer and it meets all my "live TV" needs.

$40/month is a pretty steep price to get zero other content. Couple that with an internet bill and you’re already up to half the cost of a premium tier of cable plus internet. Again, with zero extra content. Toss in Netflix or Hulu and you’re up over $100.
                  This just isn't the case, at least around here. The bare minimum for the channels I want (RSN, NHL/MLB Networks, locals, etc) with Comcast is $130 and currently requires a physical box. With internet only and Youtube TV I pay $115. I don't care about channels I don't watch.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    First, Disney announced that their Disney+ will be less expensive than Netflix because it won't have the same amount of content. So $12.98 instead of $12.99.

Second, get your HBO through Hulu and you won't have to deal with an extra subscription, just a quick management update to your Hulu account.
                    Thanks for the tip. If I decide to upgrade to HBO briefly I'll look into it. As for Disney+ if they bundle it with ESPN+ for $15 I'll go for it. If not I'll just take the $12.98 version

Comment

Don't worry. Internet (read: cable) companies are going to start restricting data usage when streaming becomes a real threat to their income. You're just ahead of the curve and getting a discount before the cable companies get theirs again. They're too big and adapting quickly. Comcast already started rolling out data caps years ago. They're going to start tightening those I suspect.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Don't worry. Internet (read: cable) companies are going to start restricting data usage when streaming becomes a real threat to their income. You're just ahead of the curve and getting a discount before the cable companies get theirs again. They're too big and adapting quickly. Comcast already started rolling out data caps years ago. They're going to start tightening those I suspect.
                        And that is where 5G comes in to muddy the waters a bit. Once 5G is rolled out, home internet could become obsolete. It's that whole "internet of things" concept surrounding 5G.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          And that is where 5G comes in to muddy the waters a bit. Once 5G is rolled out, home internet could become obsolete. It's that whole "internet of things" concept surrounding 5G.
                          I think that's 5-7 years out at best. But I still don't see how that changes things. These companies know what you pay now and they'll still get theirs. Am I missing something that would somehow disrupt things? Maybe more competition?

The other problem with 5G is the infrastructure costs are so high that you'd almost have a pseudo-monopoly in every city. My understanding is that 5G essentially requires "towers" every city block or more. How is that any different than the last mile? I just haven't read up enough to understand how 5G is cheaper than copper or fiber.
                          Code:

Comment

I think that's 5-7 years out at best. But I still don't see how that changes things. These companies know what you pay now and they'll still get theirs. Am I missing something that would somehow disrupt things? Maybe more competition?

The other problem with 5G is the infrastructure costs are so high that you'd almost have a pseudo-monopoly in every city. My understanding is that 5G essentially requires "towers" every city block or more. How is that any different than the last mile? I just haven't read up enough to understand how 5G is cheaper than copper or fiber.
                            5G can be (not saying it will absolutely be) cheaper because that last mile cost will be reduced once the equipment is in place, and the price of the tech reduces with natural product lifecycle events. Once Customer Bob sets up a 5G modem/router in his home, he has an option to no longer carry service from Charter, Comcast, etc.. Cell phone providers will now be in direct competition with the cable companies for the data providing business. There will be direct pressure on cable companies to lower the price of their legacy services to keep from losing companies. 5G speeds are supposed to outstrip the current cable company infrastructure capacities, so it's not like the cable company can tout a service quality advantage.

Comment

I expect a lot worse than data caps, although those are coming. With Net Neutrality going away all these free apps aren't going to be free much longer. Some people won't care until their Comcast connection starts redirecting their requests for foxnews.com to msnbc.com

Comment

I expect a lot worse than data caps, although those are coming. With Net Neutrality going away all these free apps aren't going to be free much longer. Some people won't care until their Comcast connection starts redirecting their requests for foxnews.com to msnbc.com
                                I think the ISPs will hold off on doing anything too drastic until they get a feel for who's in the Oval Office in 22 months, which should take about 14-16 months from today.

Comment

Working...
                                X