Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    In a large part of the country the "social views" haven't changed. It isn't so much History as Current Events.
    Well yea... I mean, The War of Northern Aggression is just at Halftime... Once the halftime show is over, the South shall come again!
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      https://***********/weirdhistorypix/...44510889086977

Warner Bros. has already taken a step forward in this department... The message is quite clear: We messed up, but we do need to show where society was at that point in time and how we've progressed....
      That is honest-to-God awesome. I applaud WB for that.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well... I came ( )/// this close to ‘highjacking’ the GoT thread (my apologies!!) with a statement that we are ‘firing’ Spectrum on Monday, and some good feedback in that thread was appreciated (Thanks to those who offered input!). Still not exactly sure what we will do afterwards (GoT boobies aside), but we may just live “off the grid” for 30-days until we can become new Spectrum customers again, and then just snatch-up the deal for new customers (internet only) until something better comes-along (Empire, AT&T mobile, Version DSL gets their collective-poo together, etc). Currently have a bundle deal with Spectrum... TV, Internet, & Phone... and it's all going "bye-bye" on Monday.

So now the heavy-lifting begins... we have well-over 50 companies, sites, associations, organizations, contacts, institutions, etc that have our Spectrum e-mail & phone number info on-file. I believe that it is entirely possible that we will “lose” those Spectrum ID’s when we leave. Regarding the E-mail accounts, I could really care less... they are well over-due for a healthy purge, and most were intentionally-created as “disposable” accounts in the first place. But how can we retain our land-line phone number so there is no need to establish a new one? (Why??... see last paragraph, below).

Should we (can we) get a “burner” phone from some no-frills outfit like TrakFone that we can associate (transfer) our current number with? Better-yet, are there any free IP phone options available that we could transition that number to on a more-permanent basis?

I am probably worrying about this far too much, and should just suck-it-up and deal with the fact that I will eventually have to transition everything over to our mobile numbers, but the land line is a nice “buffer” to limit the activity we get on the mobiles, and my mobile is a work phone, so it’s all going to fall on “the Wife”.

Many Thanks in-advance for any good advice!!
        Cheers,
        ~TTF
        Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 05-17-2019, 09:46 PM.
        Dave
        RIT - '90

Comment

For mobile phones, to switch a number from Company A to Company B, you need to sign up with the new Company before cancelling the old one... If this is possible with a land line number, I would imagine the process is the same. Not sure on technicalities, but my understanding is that the number can't go "unused" for any length of time. If it does, it goes up for grabs or something.

Comment

I was the first customer to sign up for the brand new blazing fast 25/2 Mbps service in the area. As such I got to play guinea pig and it took two days to work out the b̶u̶g̶s̶ undocumented features in the system. But we finally have access to what the government considers "highspeed" internet service!

Other news:
            Bob Iger confirmed in an investor call that Avengers: Endgame will premiere exclusively on Disney+ on 11 December.

THR conducted a poll and found that 22% of Netflix users will cancel when Disney pulls Lucas Film, MCU and other Disney content. 17% would cancel if/when The Office and Friends leave. 28% would cancel if they all left the service. I don't think it's as bad as that, but Netflix has to be bracing for a bad end of this year. I was curious about the 60 people polled who have never even heard of Netflix...however, if you look at the demographics of the poll, you find that the typical respondent is a southern baby-boomer, so that explains that. Also, Twitch isn't a subscription service. Twitch is free to use; it's Amazon Prime that's the subscription part.

Comment

Well AT&T/Time Warner are working on their streaming service right now...and as soon as they get that going Friends and The Office are gone. (along with lots of other shows)

Truth is Netflix is not a long term sustainable deal which is why they are burning money trying to make as much stuff as they can. As other conglomerates start streaming their own stuff people will stop going to Netflix because it will be found elsewhere. Truthfully, of the streaming services I pay for it is the one I use the least.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Well AT&T/Time Warner are working on their streaming service right now...and as soon as they get that going Friends and The Office are gone. (along with lots of other shows)

Truth is Netflix is not a long term sustainable deal which is why they are burning money trying to make as much stuff as they can. As other conglomerates start streaming their own stuff people will stop going to Netflix because it will be found elsewhere. Truthfully, of the streaming services I pay for it is the one I use the least.
                A major problem for Netflix is online streaming is its only revenue stream. All the other players coming into the market have multiple revenue streams. Apple, Disney, AT&T etc are huge conglomerates with money coming from several places. They also have as much, or more, cash to burn. Amazon is spending $1 billion on the first season of the Tolkien LOTR-prequel. Hard to see how Netflix survives the coming streaming wars, especially when Disney can easily afford to go with its $6.99/60 plan for a few years while Netflix slowly dies.

Comment

A major problem for Netflix is online streaming is its only revenue stream. All the other players coming into the market have multiple revenue streams. Apple, Disney, AT&T etc are huge conglomerates with money coming from several places. They also have as much, or more, cash to burn. Amazon is spending $1 billion on the first season of the Tolkien LOTR-prequel. Hard to see how Netflix survives the coming streaming wars, especially when Disney can easily afford to go with its $6.99/60 plan for a few years while Netflix slowly dies.
                  I think the idea was around with the bigger companies for a while now, but NETFLIX was the "proof of concept" model the other companies were looking at over the last 5-10 years... Now that they see it's viable, in come the big boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    I think the idea was around with the bigger companies for a while now, but NETFLIX was the "proof of concept" model the other companies were looking at over the last 5-10 years... Now that they see it's viable, in come the big boys.
                    Unfortunately, the fracturing from those wanting the whole pie and not just a slice of the pie is causing people to give up on streaming.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Unfortunately, the fracturing from those wanting the whole pie and not just a slice of the pie is causing people to give up on streaming.
                      When you have to have all of the services, with the annual or monthly fees for each, it defeats the point of cutting the cord in the first place. As always, The Man finds a way to get us back to square one.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        When you have to have all of the services, with the annual or monthly fees for each, it defeats the point of cutting the cord in the first place. As always, The Man finds a way to get us back to square one.
                        I can't imagine having time to watch all that content. When all this shakes out I'll only have Amazon Prime, Disney+ and YouTubeTV. That's more than enough for me. That'll be a fraction of what it would cost to go back to cable or satellite.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          It’s why I’m still with Comcast until I can get a viable internet competitor

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            It’s why I’m still with Comcast until I can get a viable internet competitor
                            Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Good luck.
                              There’s one two blocks away in Minneapolis. I just need them to leave the city borders

Comment

I can't imagine having time to watch all that content. When all this shakes out I'll only have Amazon Prime, Disney+ and YouTubeTV. That's more than enough for me. That'll be a fraction of what it would cost to go back to cable or satellite.
                                I have HuluPlus, Prime and Netflix. Have some smaller ones too that cost next to nothing but have zero commercials. (while Hulu has commercials on them even if you pay to not have them which annoys me) My buddy uses my Netflix so he is going to give the gf Disney+ access since she wants it. I pay way less than I would if I bundled with comcast.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X