Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Okay. I have Amazon Prime and between Good Omens, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Fleabag, I'm loving it. In fact, I'm watching the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel when I should be doing my grad school stuff. But I want to add another streaming service, and I'm torn between Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. Maybe you can help?
    I have Netflix streaming, and love it. I'm more of a movie guy, though. They do have a lot of TV shows, although usually not the current hits.

I also have Disney+ (thanks to a friend adding me to their account), but that's pretty much only for the Mandalorian series and the old school Disney movies (Bambi, Lady And The Tramp, etc). I wouldn't pay for it, though, on my own.

I did a Hulu free trial just for Letterkenny, and once I burned through that, I was done with it. Didn't really explore outside of that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

As it turns out, Netflix and Hulu are part of the Microsoft Store on my laptop. Got them both. I'm a little hesitant on Disney+ because with grad school and work, I don't want to spend all my time watching TV again. Grad school is basically job #2.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I'd be careful with streaming services, especially if time and money are issues. They add up quickly on both.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I'd be careful with streaming services, especially if time and money are issues. They add up quickly on both.
          Yep. 10 bucks here, and there, and all of a sudden, you're paying 100/mo.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If you're a Verizon Wireless user and have unlimited data, the first year of Disney+ is free.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Has anyone here pulled the trigger on HBO Max? Any initial thoughts?
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Has anyone here pulled the trigger on HBO Max? Any initial thoughts?
                I had the HBO add on for Hulu, which immediately gave me the HBO Max product. I need to see if the price increased. If not, the I’ll keep it.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I just got hbo max for free from ATT. I have been on an old plan for years with 10x the data I need or use- so I saved $20 a month and got hbo max by changing.

Another bonus, lowered my xfinity bill by $60 a month by selecting a new plan online, didn’t even have to talk to a person

Comment

• YouTube TV is going from 50 to 65 per month after adding Viacom channels. Might have to consider shopping around now. Comedy Central is the only channel I’d watch that they just added and I’ve gotten by without it for the last few years since moving to streaming cable.

Especially with so few sports at the moment it’s hard to justify paying that much when a lot of the content can be found on Netflix or Hulu.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• OK, I am finally considering cutting the cord. I have the Olds so please bear with me.

On tv, which is Fios, I watch TCM. My wife watches those stations that do crap like Granite Countertop shows -- HGTV, that sort of sh-t. Other than that we watch all our stuff on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, and AppleTV.

I'm pretty sure we can get rid of our cable and still do everything we want, but I am an idiot so: (1) wait, my internet runs through Fios, how do I keep that -- is that separate from "cable service"? (2) That loose change crap on the idiot box (TCM; Kitchen Island network) is still important, so how do I pick that sh-t up post-cord?

I'm convinced cable : 2020 :: landline : 2000. Help me jettison the former as I did the latter.

Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        YouTube TV is going from 50 to 65 per month after adding Viacom channels. Might have to consider shopping around now. Comedy Central is the only channel I’d watch that they just added and I’ve gotten by without it for the last few years since moving to streaming cable.

Especially with so few sports at the moment it’s hard to justify paying that much when a lot of the content can be found on Netflix or Hulu.
                        Fubo adds Disneys, ESPN while losing TNT, TBS, CNN and hikes up to...... $65 as well. Lame.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          OK, I am finally considering cutting the cord. I have the Olds so please bear with me.

On tv, which is Fios, I watch TCM. My wife watches those stations that do crap like Granite Countertop shows -- HGTV, that sort of sh-t. Other than that we watch all our stuff on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, and AppleTV.

I'm pretty sure we can get rid of our cable and still do everything we want, but I am an idiot so: (1) wait, my internet runs through Fios, how do I keep that -- is that separate from "cable service"? (2) That loose change crap on the idiot box (TCM; Kitchen Island network) is still important, so how do I pick that sh-t up post-cord?

I'm convinced cable : 2020 :: landline : 2000. Help me jettison the former as I did the latter.

The first step is deciding what you channels are actually important to you. Pretty much no streaming service will include everything that you're already getting, so you'll have to make some sacrifices. Right off the bat, it looks like Sling and Philo, two of the cheapest options, don't carry TCM, so if that's your favorite channel, then you can take them out of consideration.
                          Sports? The "big boys" like Hulu, Youtube, and Fubo have a lot, but not all. Hulu doesn't have the professional leagues, Fubu doesn't have MLB and NBA, Youtube doesn't have NFL or NHL.
                          Local affiliates? Not all services carry all local affiliates. You can get around this with a regular antenna, but depending on signal strength and location you may not get all of them over the air.

Next is what platform will you be streaming on? Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV? Most are carried on pretty much every platform, but there are exceptions and they can have different interfaces which are better or worse depending on the format.

That's about it. Comparing the channel lineups is probably the most annoying part. With no contracts and free trial periods, it's pretty easy to shop around and see what you like best.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                          X