Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Here's a fun fact:

The Justice Department made Disney sell off the Fox Sports regionals for antitrust purposes.

Now Hulu, of which Disney owns 2/3rds, will be one of the few streaming services that includes the Fox Sports regionals.
    In fairness, it's because everyone else doesn't want to deal with Sinclair. It kinda proves the Justice Department's point. If the regional networks were still Disney, every service would pay for them no matter what because "Disney bundle." Now that they're owned by someone else, the services can play hardball and bargain more.

Comment

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Because capitalism!
      Nah, this one's on the unregulated free market.

Laissez faire is why we have no customer choice and monopolies.

Capitalism is why we have no worker rights and criminal inequality.

They are different diseases which require different cures.

Anti-trust and government regulation kills the laissez faire disease and allows us to use the free market safely, like electricity.

Worker ownership of the means of production kills the Capitalism disease and allows workers to benefit from their own productivity, rather than just a handful of as-shats who happen to have extra billions they didn't earn.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-28-2020, 08:59 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        In fairness, it's because everyone else doesn't want to deal with Sinclair. It kinda proves the Justice Department's point. If the regional networks were still Disney, every service would pay for them no matter what because "Disney bundle." Now that they're owned by someone else, the services can play hardball and bargain more.
        And it starts. YouTube TV struck a deal with all but the two LA RSNs and YES. Yes, YouTube TV said no to YES.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Hilarious that the Dodgers started their own RSN to print their own money (like the Yankees with YES), and hometown viewers still cannot watch games.

Marquee Network in Chicago is looking to follow suit thanks to Comcast.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Dumb question for those who have cut the cord and use YoutubeTV or HuluTV or whatever, does the RSN's black out the out of market professional sports games like (actual) DirecTV does?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Dumb question for those who have cut the cord and use YoutubeTV or HuluTV or whatever, does the RSN's black out the out of market professional sports games like (actual) DirecTV does?
              I don't follow what you are asking, so let me answer this way. I have YouTubeTV (and for a short while, Hulu Live). Based on my zip code, I can only get certain RSNs, just like if I had cable. In my case, I get SNY and YES. So, whatever they show, I can watch, just like when I got them on cable.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Are you asking that if you subscribe to all the regional sports networks, if you’ll actually be able to watch them during games, when they’re usually blacked out due to MLB TV/Center Ice/League Pass?

In that case, YouTube doesn’t have a package to subscribe to all of them. You only get the regional network attached to your zip code.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I don't follow what you are asking, so let me answer this way. I have YouTubeTV (and for a short while, Hulu Live). Based on my zip code, I can only get certain RSNs, just like if I had cable. In my case, I get SNY and YES. So, whatever they show, I can watch, just like when I got them on cable.
                  Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Are you asking that if you subscribe to all the regional sports networks, if you’ll actually be able to watch them during games, when they’re usually blacked out due to MLB TV/Center Ice/League Pass?

In that case, YouTube doesn’t have a package to subscribe to all of them. You only get the regional network attached to your zip code.
                  Russell, I was unsure how YouTubeTV / HuluTV handled regional sports channels. I assumed they operated like DirecTV / Comcast where all the sports channels were offered as an extra package but blacked out major professional sports games (MLB/NBA/NHL/MLS). And that you could only watch your local RSN without blackouts.

(For example, my Brother in Michigan can get all the extra RSN's on DirecTV package, but the major pro games are blacked out. His local Channel FOX Detroit is the only RSN he gets uninterupted).

Spartan fan decoded my post.

Thank you both.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Beauty and the Beast prequel series starring Gaston and LaFou coming to Disney+

Comment

When I first bought my smart TV, it had an app pre loaded for a streaming service called PlutoTV. It streamed what I would best call "late night / weekend programming from the cable networks of the 80's and early 90's." (Low budget or very low cost action/drama/comedies that you would only see on TNT/TBS/etc in odd hours in our younger days.)

Not something I was terribly interested in.

I checked out PlutoTV again last night and they seem to have improved their streaming service, content, and added some nifty specialty channels. Having Viacom buy them up seems to have definitely given them a shot in the arm.

It's all ad-supported free streaming, giving it that "golden era of cable" feel, but they have some gems hidden throughout the lineup.

They have a whole channel dedicated to constant streaming of James Bond films (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton), a channel dedicated to nothing but American Gladiators ( ), four channels for nothing but Comedy Central's own programming (one for standup specials, one for John Oliver's stand up specials, a Crank Yanker channel, and a Tosh.0 channel). A This Old House channel. An Unsolved Mysteries (hosted by Robert Stack) channel. A Doctor Who channel with nothing but pre-Eggleston episodes. (), and an MST3K channel and a Rifftrax channel. (:EEK

I may start tuning in a little more now.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        When I first bought my smart TV, it had an app pre loaded for a streaming service called PlutoTV. It streamed what I would best call "late night / weekend programming from the cable networks of the 80's and early 90's." (Low budget or very low cost action/drama/comedies that you would only see on TNT/TBS/etc in odd hours in our younger days.)

Not something I was terribly interested in.

I checked out PlutoTV again last night and they seem to have improved their streaming service, content, and added some nifty specialty channels. Having Viacom buy them up seems to have definitely given them a shot in the arm.

It's all ad-supported free streaming, giving it that "golden era of cable" feel, but they have some gems hidden throughout the lineup.

They have a whole channel dedicated to constant streaming of James Bond films (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton), a channel dedicated to nothing but American Gladiators ( ), four channels for nothing but Comedy Central's own programming (one for standup specials, one for John Oliver's stand up specials, a Crank Yanker channel, and a Tosh.0 channel). A This Old House channel. An Unsolved Mysteries (hosted by Robert Stack) channel. A Doctor Who channel with nothing but pre-Eggleston episodes. (), and an MST3K channel and a Rifftrax channel. (:EEK

I may start tuning in a little more now.
                        ....and don’t forget SlowTV! I actually sat and watched ~45 minutes of a train running through southern Germany one day. I simply could not turn away!

As I check-through the updated line-up (on the phone app), I’m a little bummed to see ConTV is no longer there. While almost all of the content on that channel was awful, I used to love catching the MXC ‘mini-marathon’ on Mondays.
                        Dave
                        RIT - '90

Comment

There was one Christmas break years ago where I found Twitch and specifically SquirrelTV on twitch. Guy playing simulator games and just chatting. Don’t know why but it was great to have on in the background while I cleaned the house.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We have Fire Sticks. Best purchase ever! Me and my husband don’t have cable at all but we got 2 Fire Sticks and watch everything.

Make sure you jailbreak fire stick and use Kodi titanium build for a bunch of TV shows and movies. Look up on google for easy steps.

For live tv I use another jailbreak app called Livenet TV. Once again there’s some really easy steps online to download.

You definitely won’t need cable if you use the right jailbreaks.
                            Last edited by DonaldD; 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              ....and don’t forget SlowTV! I actually sat and watched ~45 minutes of a train running through southern Germany one day. I simply could not turn away!

As I check-through the updated line-up (on the phone app), I’m a little bummed to see ConTV is no longer there. While almost all of the content on that channel was awful, I used to love catching the MXC ‘mini-marathon’ on Mondays.
                              10 hours to the arctic circle in Norway.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Okay. I have Amazon Prime and between Good Omens, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Fleabag, I'm loving it. In fact, I'm watching the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel when I should be doing my grad school stuff. But I want to add another streaming service, and I'm torn between Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. Maybe you can help?
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X