Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

It appears my Apple TV Generation 3 has finally hit the end of it's useful life. It did not get an update to allow it to access Disney+, and the Disney apps that were pre-loaded have stopped working.

Looks like I need to put the newest Apple TV on my Christmas list.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Getting a new Roku smart TV this week and cancelling my cable subscription. I have ESPN+, which shows some college hockey but mainly just ECAC games that I am only moderately interested in. My favorite team is Minnesota, but I also try to watch as much as I can of the other Big Ten teams. Is there any kind of package similar to ESPN+ that will get me access to Big Ten games? If not, I know I can pick up BTN and FSN North on either YouTubeTV or Hulu Live. But if I can avoid having a subscription to a full channel lineup that would be better.
      National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
      National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

If you get Hulu live or YoutubeTV you will get FSN and BTN so you should be all set.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Disney+ will move up two of the Marvel shows to this year. Falcon and Winter Soldier is being released in August and WandaVision shortly thereafter. Season two of the Mandalorian will still be released in November. The seventh and final season of the Star Wars animated series Clone Wars drops in February.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Disney+ will move up two of the Marvel shows to this year. Falcon and Winter Soldier is being released in August and WandaVision shortly thereafter. Season two of the Mandalorian will still be released in November. The seventh and final season of the Star Wars animated series Clone Wars drops in February.
            Disney+ also updating the app soon to correct the order of shows appearing within series to correspond to release-date order rather than file upload date. I've not paid close enough attention to this to take note of the correct order of any show I've watched. Outside of it being in the correct season, it's not like there's a continuity point for The Simpson's (Who Killed Mr. Burns notwithstanding).
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

IgerCon 2020 is underway.

Disney+ has over 30.7 million subscribers as of Monday.

Comment

IgerCon 2020 is underway.

Disney+ has over 30.7 million subscribers as of Monday.
                Dumb question: is that PAID subscribers, or profiles/users? A buddy gave me a profile on his account, so I'm not paying for it, but I am using it.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Dumb question: is that PAID subscribers, or profiles/users? A buddy gave me a profile on his account, so I'm not paying for it, but I am using it.
                  Paid subscribers.

Between Disney+, ESPN+ and the various Hulu brands and how much they report subscribers pay, I calculate that as of December 28 they were clearing $725 million. Each month.

Iger himself said the movie studio isn't going to have another year like this past year in the forseeable future. Given how quickly Disney+ is growing, plus the international rollout over the coming months, I fully expect streaming to be a much larger chunk of the profits than the movies, and even the ESPN and ABC money. It should be bigger than everything but resorts and parks, which still dwarf everything else in the Disney portfolio.

Comment

Paid subscribers.

Between Disney+, ESPN+ and the various Hulu brands and how much they report subscribers pay, I calculate that as of December 28 they were clearing $725 million. Each month.

Iger himself said the movie studio isn't going to have another year like this past year in the forseeable future. Given how quickly Disney+ is growing, plus the international rollout over the coming months, I fully expect streaming to be a much larger chunk of the profits than the movies, and even the ESPN and ABC money. It should be bigger than everything but resorts and parks, which still dwarf everything else in the Disney portfolio.
                    I can only imagine the number of users in general, then. Not households where you would expect 3-4 profiles, but overall in general.....
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      I can only imagine the number of users in general, then. Not households where you would expect 3-4 profiles, but overall in general.....
                      They obviously don't advertise those numbers, but they do make it easy (for now) to share accounts. I think I am allowed five profiles and they tell you right up front they don't all have to be in the same residence. I offered to let my nephew have it but his dad said no. He has enough already to keep him occupied!

Comment

They obviously don't advertise those numbers, but they do make it easy (for now) to share accounts. I think I am allowed five profiles and they tell you right up front they don't all have to be in the same residence. I offered to let my nephew have it but his dad said no. He has enough already to keep him occupied!
                        My buddy was PIZZED I didn't have it, because Mandelorian, so he just gave me access so we could geek out about the show, and he knows I love the animated classics of Disney. I know an owner of a local brewery is also on his list for the same reasons. I lol'd when I saw that name pop up when I logged in.

Comment

My brother said it was illegal or against the rules to share it.

he’s a smart guy, a doctor, but he’s dumb sometimes. Like all of us. I tried to tell him it’s priced into their model and they not only expect it, but they explicitly allow it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            My brother said it was illegal or against the rules to share it.

he’s a smart guy, a doctor, but he’s dumb sometimes. Like all of us. I tried to tell him it’s priced into their model and they not only expect it, but they explicitly allow it.
                            Some streaming services discourage it, but they know it's gonna happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              Some streaming services discourage it, but they know it's gonna happen.
                              Disney has the technology to put a good stamp on it when it comes time, but for now they want the views so they can say "The Mandalorian is the most watched show ever" Not with "only" 30 million subscribers it's not. Not when Netflix has what? 110 million?

Comment

Disney has the technology to put a good stamp on it when it comes time, but for now they want the views so they can say "The Mandalorian is the most watched show ever" Not with "only" 30 million subscribers it's not. Not when Netflix has what? 110 million?
                                And given human nature, let's say there's a divorce, or whatever. Now access is needed by separate account? That person is hooked. Woohoo, another subscriber. All these streaming services need, is a base. Then, let social media/word of mouth do the work. And when your BFF's/SO's break up, that person is still "OMG need Hulu/HBO/Disney/etc!" Job done.

Comment

Working...
                                X