No announcement yet.

Usa hockey national tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Russell Jaslow;6785800]Only five players are from NYS. I guess that’s new math...[/QUOTE

Let’ me show you the way if 5 players are from NYS and every other player is from a different state that’ would mean the NY has the greatest percentatage of players . If you don’t like change the rule.

Comment

Re: Usa hockey national tournament

Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post
      The school is considered the girls residence since they board there (per USA Hockey).
      So plopping a building on a high school campus and calling it a dorm, makes those students NY residents. Good workaround to make sure the rule is followed.

And how can 15 players from different states still have a greater percentage of NYers on it when the roster max is 20? the only way that can happen is if they are boarding students.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey01 View Post
        So plopping a building on a high school campus and calling it a dorm, makes those students NY residents. Good workaround to make sure the rule is followed.

And how can 15 players from different states still have a greater percentage of NYers on it when the roster max is 20? the only way that can happen is if they are boarding students.
        For example
        5 NYS
        4 CA
        1 ONT
        1 NJ
        2 CT
        1 VT
        2 OH
        3 PA
        1 CT

5 NYS is more than any other state, therefore the "greatest percentage" is from NY.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Funny how you like to stick with the false narrative of them plopping a building on the school campus. The 3rd floor of the school which housed the priests / nuns several years ago was renovated and now houses students. Those students are primarily the girls that play hockey, but there are other International students that live in those dorms. So it is not limited to hockey. Just so happens that the majority of the other students are "day" students. Functions exactly as other Prep schools.

Comment

All girls that reside at a school are considered residents of the school (and that State) by USA Hockey guidelines. Import rules (max 2 International) still apply. If they do not have US Citizenship they are considered an Import.

Comment

I happen to know that NAHA is blocked by the Vermont Affiliates mid 1990's residency policy....regardless of what USA hockey's guidelines say each affiliate is allowed to make their own rules...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk66 View Post
                Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                Only five players are from NYS. I guess that’s new math...
                Let’ me show you the way if 5 players are from NYS and every other player is from a different state that’ would mean the NY has the greatest percentatage of players . If you don’t like change the rule.
                Good heavens. You must be a lawyer. That's the most twisted *ss logic possible.

You can cut it anyway you want, it is NOT a NYS team. No way. No how. No BS.
                Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-25-2019, 10:30 AM.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post
                  Funny how you like to stick with the false narrative of them plopping a building on the school campus. The 3rd floor of the school which housed the priests / nuns several years ago was renovated and now houses students. Those students are primarily the girls that play hockey, but there are other International students that live in those dorms. So it is not limited to hockey. Just so happens that the majority of the other students are "day" students. Functions exactly as other Prep schools.
                  Phew thank you for clarifying that. Sorry... they converted some existing space on a high school campus, called it a dorm so the girls would be considered NY state residents, and then registered with the Rochester youth hockey Org to make themselves be eligible for the national tournament. Face it, a loop hole was found to make this an all star team. And calling it a "prep" school is just downright humorous. Its a hockey academy that latched on to a high school. Maybe take a tour of a legitimate established prep/boarding school and there is no comparison. If it functions as a prep school, then they should have registered the team as a prep school and been made to wait the 3 year waiting period before they were eligible for the national tournament.

Comment

i believe MA Hockey caps it at 3 (or 4) girls from out of state up through u14, and then opens it up after that for u16,and 19. I have heard complaints against Selects and SSM (since they are successful ) for years. Not sure how teams that play together all year, fit in the same category with kids that play for high (prep) school and don't get to spend the year together. It has been debated for years.

to the people that think Nationals is just for bragging rights....if this is the case, why do these schools insist on going to Nationals? (and fight this argument every year)

Comment

Man, this thread really makes all of my worldly problems seem petty.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        Man, this thread really makes all of my worldly problems seem petty.
                        The wonderful thing about passionate sports fans...
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                          i believe MA Hockey caps it at 3 (or 4) girls from out of state up through u14, and then opens it up after that for u16,and 19. I have heard complaints against Selects and SSM (since they are successful ) for years. Not sure how teams that play together all year, fit in the same category with kids that play for high (prep) school and don't get to spend the year together. It has been debated for years.

to the people that think Nationals is just for bragging rights....if this is the case, why do these schools insist on going to Nationals? (and fight this argument every year)
                          I think Nationals is a big attraction to most amateur girl hockey players. I think that is about right on MA out state players but most of the people who are referring to Selects talking about U16 & U19 which probably has more. All or most of the teams at Nationals have out of state players and some have a large portion of the team. The problem is other than MA, CT, MI, & MN most of the other states I might be missing one struggle to put legitimate tier 1 teams together. So what happens is all the players that are good look to find the right experience. As the player pool grows in these other states I believe these programs will not be as impactful or possibly not survive. In NY it is amazing how the rinks control travel teams. I am sure if Buffalo and outer areas put one team together instead of three you would get a good team. I understand and can agree on some level that these girls aren't from the respective state. Counter to that if Selects was not there could any of the teams that would of qualified be competitive? What I mean by competitive can they beat a MA or MI team make the cross over probably not.

Comment

I think Nationals is a big attraction to most amateur girl hockey players.
                            I agree. I don't get the hatred of Nationals. Why wouldn't you have Nationals and crown a champion? That is what you do in sports. It gives players and teams something to shoot for and look forward to other than endless meaningless tournaments. By U16/U19 they have all done a million of the same tournaments. Those don't hold much allure anymore. Is Nationals perfect - definitely not. Is there a USA hockey money grab aspect- definitely. But with all the warts, its the best we have and the girls (and parents) look forward to it for the most part. From what I have seen, the players are proud to have made it and participate. No one has to go if they don't want to.

Comment

I think Nationals is a big attraction to most amateur girl hockey players. I think that is about right on MA out state players but most of the people who are referring to Selects talking about U16 & U19 which probably has more. All or most of the teams at Nationals have out of state players and some have a large portion of the team. The problem is other than MA, CT, MI, & MN most of the other states I might be missing one struggle to put legitimate tier 1 teams together. So what happens is all the players that are good look to find the right experience. As the player pool grows in these other states I believe these programs will not be as impactful or possibly not survive. In NY it is amazing how the rinks control travel teams. I am sure if Buffalo and outer areas put one team together instead of three you would get a good team. I understand and can agree on some level that these girls aren't from the respective state. Counter to that if Selects was not there could any of the teams that would of qualified be competitive? What I mean by competitive can they beat a MA or MI team make the cross over probably not.
                              You could add Chicago Mission to the list of competitive clubs with virtually no out of state players. They beat Selects for u16 national championship last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                                You could add Chicago Mission to the list of competitive clubs with virtually no out of state players. They beat Selects for u16 national championship last year.
                                True they are great program

Comment

Working...
                                X