X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Usa hockey national tournament

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    The Selects won NY!
    Yeah, with only five NYS players. But, don't get me started...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Yeah, with only five NYS players. But, don't get me started...
      It’s no accident that Selects Academy is based in NY. NY state is it’s own district so there’s no need to play for a regional championship. And NY isn’t typically a very competitive state- compared to the other single state districts like MN, MA & MI. If Selects were in any of those states or another district like Central or NE they wouldn’t be a shoe in for nationals. Like it or not they will dominate NY state championships for the foreseeable future. Is it fair that a boarding school with players from all over the US, Canada & Europe qualifies for a state/district & national tourney? No, but those are the rules. Just like with SSM. KP did her homework.

Comment

What about the rumors that Selects may be folding...

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
          Is it fair that a boarding school with players from all over the US, Canada & Europe qualifies for a state/district & national tourney? No, but those are the rules. Just like with SSM. KP did her homework.
          This is my issue. Boarding schools, no matter where they are located, like Selects, SSM, Northwood Prep, in now way should be allowed in these tournaments. It's ludicrous on so many levels. Why aren't all prep schools allowed in? What happens if one of these teams recruited all Canadians? Or, if they recruited the top 20 players in the entire country -- heck, allow the national team in then. It's a playing field that isn't even close to being at 90 degrees, never mind level.

See what you did, you got me going...
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

USA Hockey rules limit imports to 2 per team. So you can't fill a team with Canadians, etc. Selects 16s have 1 Canadian and 1 German. The 19s have 2 Canadians. The split season New Englad teams have girls from all over as well. They are not all that much different than SSM, Selects, Northwood, etc. It is just the way it is.

Selects folding??? Funny. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Comment

For Selects "Academy" to call themselves a boarding school is a joke. They don't have the infrastructure. Its offensive to legitimate boarding schools. All KP did was latch on to a mediocre school relatively close to an ice rink so she could work around the rule of having unlimited amount of non-district players on a team to compete for the national championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                This is my issue. Boarding schools, no matter where they are located, like Selects, SSM, Northwood Prep, in now way should be allowed in these tournaments. It's ludicrous on so many levels. Why aren't all prep schools allowed in? What happens if one of these teams recruited all Canadians? Or, if they recruited the top 20 players in the entire country -- heck, allow the national team in then. It's a playing field that isn't even close to being at 90 degrees, never mind level.

See what you did, you got me going...
                Well, there IS the high school tournament that is (in theory) open to prep schools. But you have to register with USAH as a HS, not a Youth or Girls team.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

idk if the Selects rumor(s) are true or not,but have heard it from different people totally unconnected to each other..it seems to hinge around the attached school.

As for boarding schools, why not? It's kids wanting to play hockey... there is nothing sacred about Tier 1 except the absolute fear mn hockey has towards it and the way they limit participation for kids..there is no defendable excuse for their actions except cowardice and greed(now there's a soapbox)

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey01 View Post
                    For Selects "Academy" to call themselves a boarding school is a joke. They don't have the infrastructure. Its offensive to legitimate boarding schools. All KP did was latch on to a mediocre school relatively close to an ice rink so she could work around the rule of having unlimited amount of non-district players on a team to compete for the national championship.
                    The girls do stay in dorms at Bishop Kearney High School. So, I don't know what you mean by not being a boarding school...
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

If you consider a space above a re-habbed garage a dorm, so be it. Every student at BK should be allowed to live in the school's "dorms" if they were a legit Prep/Boarding school. My guess is that BK does not pay for that space they live in... selects does. I know girls who have left. There was never enough food, proper school transportation wasn't provided, the "dorm" rep aka babysitter would go missing. Girls were not in a good emotional state. Dorms at a true boarding school are part of the campus and campus life. They have a commons for students to dine, they have proctors in the dorms to monitor the students, I could go on and on. You can't just rent a garage space on school property and throw some students in there and call it a boarding school??? Its a hockey academy .... simply that. Its unfortunate parents and kids fall for this term "boarding school". If it was marketed as a Hockey Academy, I don't think as many parents would enroll their daughters. They would be too embarrassed to say to their friends ... "I sent my daughter away to go play hockey in hopes of her getting a scholarship" But because the marketing has been termed a "boarding school", parents love to tell their buddies at the water cooler their daughter is in boarding school and it just so happens they have a good hockey team.
                      Again, its a hockey Academy on a high school campus. I know the NY district tried to not have them eligible for nationals a few years back, but they play under multiple names i.e. Rochester Youth hockey, Selects Academy, BK Selects, Selects Academy at Bishop Kearney..... They use whatever moniker that makes them legit for events. Its all about working the system.

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post
                        USA Hockey rules limit imports to 2 per team. So you can't fill a team with Canadians, etc. Selects 16s have 1 Canadian and 1 German. The 19s have 2 Canadians. The split season New Englad teams have girls from all over as well. They are not all that much different than SSM, Selects, Northwood, etc. It is just the way it is.

Selects folding??? Funny. Couldn't be further from the truth.
                        SSM 16's have 3 from north of the border.

Comment

If you are a school team, roster rules for transplants doesn't apply

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            From more of a scouting point of view, the current senior class of Minnesota girls has has some very good talent but not as much elite level talent as in the past couple of years by comparison so the NAHA tournament results are not that surprising.
                            Yes, this years group seems to be missing the goal scores of years past. These Elite MN teams also never practice with one another. Come in for a game a week or 2 and that is it. Maybe Team Gray who has stayed together for several years does and seems to have better chemistry.
                            Pass the puck

Comment

so, really disturbing. The Buffalo team (19th ranked) gets to jump over 3 teams and makes Nationals. They jump St Louis Blues (currently ranked 13), Assabet Valley (currently ranked 14th) and HoneyBaked (ranked 18). Mid-Fairfield jumps 2 teams (Blues and Assabet). Maybe able to justify 1 team on head to head....but all 3. Maybe able to justify over Assabet, since there would be 4 Mass teams....but hard to justify over all 3 teams. I thought Assabet should be upset but even more so the Blues.....Very strange.

at large bids U16
                              Minnesota Grey (#1 ranked)
                              Bay State Breakers (#2 ranked)
                              Boston Jr. Eagles (#7 ranked)
                              Mid-Fairfield (#16 ranked)
                              Buffalo Regals (#19 ranked)

I personally will be buying one of those Hockey TV packages to watch Minnesota Grey and Chicago Mission! games start April 4 i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
                                Yes, this years group seems to be missing the goal scores of years past. These Elite MN teams also never practice with one another. Come in for a game a week or 2 and that is it. Maybe Team Gray who has stayed together for several years does and seems to have better chemistry.
                                Minnesota Grey record 16-4-2

Comment

Working...
                                X