Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Watch the Bruins is like watching Bowling Green and i'm not a fan of that style of play. Grit is fine, but this neutral zone game I hate. Go Blues! And I hate Marchand also, so there's that.
    It isn't a pretty style, but it is effective. If we get a few high skill guys in the mix, that style isn't too bad to watch.

Marchand is easy to hate. He is perfect for Boston. They like that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Can you give an example? I know Coach Shawhan didn't appreciate cleaning up Marv's recruiting mess but other then that, is there anything else he has said?
      Marv saying he doesn't want to play Auk because no D and Joe saying that's because he's controlling the puck. Other little comments like that is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        This years Michigan Mr. Hockey Joey Larson, who's dad is from Houghton.
        Larson's Dad is actually from downstate. Joey does have uncle's in the area now.
        Last edited by rustedblades; 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Larson's Dad is actually from downstate. He does have uncle's in the area now.
          I must have heard wrong. I was talking with his Dad one time and I could've sworn he had said he was from Houghton. Maybe it was the family was from Houghton, or relatives in Houghton and I misunderstood it.. Still a local connection that'd be nice to land.
          Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
            I must have heard wrong. I was talking with his Dad one time and I could've sworn he had said he was from Houghton. Maybe it was the family was from Houghton, or relatives in Houghton and I misunderstood it.. Still a local connection that'd be nice to land.
            Lot's of UP and MTU ties. Nephew of former Husky Jim Storm, 2nd cousin to all the Pietilas, Lesperance, Tyler Heinonen and Ried Sturos. Definitely good bloodlines and would put local butts in the seats.

Same with Erkilla; his parents are both from the area and also have a lot of family in the area.

Comment

Same with Erkilla; his parents are both from the area and also have a lot of family in the area.
              I knew his parents were from up there. Used to see her around and had some chats. I have a good friend who grew up in Hancock, turns out that back in the day she had worked with his Dad. Small world.

Either one would put butts in seats and both have the skills to play D1. Hope it's for Tech.
              Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 06-06-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? I’m thinking I’ll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I haven’t written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? I’m thinking I’ll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I haven’t written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle
                  Sounds great. Thanks for doing it. I wonder if our incoming players can adjust fast enough to make a difference early in the year.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Brian Halonen is attending the Dallas Stars Development Camp. Has anyone heard of any other players attending NHL camps?

Comment

Blues will be coming to the Calumet Coliseum to play a pre season game as a result of Calumet winning Hockeytown USA.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                        Brian Halonen is attending the Dallas Stars Development Camp.
                        Scott White strikes again!

Comment

Not strictly hockey but if you get the chance go see this.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqeg8l1uipk
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It is expected the Tech D will continue to improve and build on a successful season last year.
                            Looks to me like all 10 will see some playing time and contribute this season. Not sure of the pairs they will go with next season as they have the left handed LD, right handed RD possible for next year. Will Meek and Swoyer grow and provide offense. Seems to me Donohue and Gotz are sure things.

1 Donohue ?
                            2 ? Gotz
                            3 ? ?

Meek
                            Swoyer
                            Rockwell
                            Watson
                            Buckley
                            Lipe
                            Datema
                            Kiilunen

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                              It is expected the Tech D will continue to improve and build on a successful season last year.
                              Looks to me like all 10 will see some playing time and contribute this season. Not sure of the pairs they will go with next season as they have the left handed LD, right handed RD possible for next year. Will Meek and Swoyer grow and provide offense. Seems to me Donohue and Gotz are sure things.

1 Donohue ?
                              2 ? Gotz
                              3 ? ?

Meek
                              Swoyer
                              Rockwell
                              Watson
                              Buckley
                              Lipe
                              Datema
                              Kiilunen
                              Didn't Donohue pair with Rockwell last year? If so, I don't see why they would break that pairing up, unless they want Rockwell to be the "lead" defended on a pair. Klilunen could get consistent playing time either pairing with Gotz on the 2nd line or on the 3rd line with a developing D. Given what Joe has said about Klilunen and age of our D-corp, it isn't a stretch for him to fill that roll, especially early in the season.

My gut says, Joe will go game by game pairing for the 2nd and 3rd lines. (Size/strength vs BGSU/Clarkson and puck handling/speed vs MnSU.) That assumes the remaining D are overall about equal and practicing at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                                Didn't Donohue pair with Rockwell last year? If so, I don't see why they would break that pairing up, unless they want Rockwell to be the "lead" defended on a pair. Klilunen could get consistent playing time either pairing with Gotz on the 2nd line or on the 3rd line with a developing D. Given what Joe has said about Klilunen and age of our D-corp, it isn't a stretch for him to fill that roll, especially early in the season.

My gut says, Joe will go game by game pairing for the 2nd and 3rd lines. (Size/strength vs BGSU/Clarkson and puck handling/speed vs MnSU.) That assumes the remaining D are overall about equal and practicing at a high level.
                                So is this the year we see the team really take Joe's approach to heart? Enough of his players? Still too young?

Comment

Working...
                                X