Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    You know I can see a player leaving due to personality conflict with the coach, I can even see two leaving. But once you get to three, you have to start looking at the coach and not all at the players. Second, even under Russell I don't remember anyone leaving, and I can tell you for sure none of the players respected Russell or wanted to play for him. Especially, I don't remember an upper classman leaving. Third, can anyone tell me when, in the 99 year history of Tech hockey, 3 players left of their own accord? I'd be surprised if it has ever happened before.
    Now let's say next summer more players leave? What then?
    The fact that the NCAA seems to make more allowances to transfer without penalty, more guys are going to be willing to jump. 5-10+ years ago, they would ride the pine, get their degree and put up with things for a year. Add in the influence of "advisers" who are telling the young man they need more playing time, and you are bound to get more transfers. Especially if they know they are in the coach's dog house.

If you look at NCAA football, high profile players are transferring at a much great rate. U of MI has had a good number of players every year transfer somewhere else.

In all sports, if a student athlete transfers to an "in conference" school, the original school fights like heck to keep that player from playing right away. Even pro teams will do whatever they can to keep from trading players to teams in conference. I would expect Tech to do the same. If they didn't, it sets a bad precedent.
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 10-03-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      We are in a different era in college hockey with the Transfer Portal. With the TP, a player knows there is a school that wants them on their team. Add the fact that the NCAA seems to make more allowances to transfer without penalty, more guys are going to be willing to jump. 5-10+ years ago, they would ride the pine, get their degree and put up with things for a year. Add in the influence of "advisers" who are telling the young man they need more playing time, and you are bound to get more transfers. Especially if they know they are in the coach's dog house.

If you look at NCAA football, high profile players are transferring at a much great rate. U of MI has had a good number of players every year transfer somewhere else.

In all sports, if a student athlete transfers to an "in conference" school, the original school fights like heck to keep that player from playing right away. Even pro teams will do whatever they can to keep from trading players to teams in conference. I would expect Tech to do the same. If they didn't, it sets a bad precedent.
      You're not quite right on the transfer portal. It does help declare a players intentions to other school that they are considering leaving, but the moment a player puts their name on the portal, their current school can cut scholarship, etc. You have no "official" idea if other schools want you until after you put your name out there.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        You're not quite right on the transfer portal. It does help declare a players intentions to other school that they are considering leaving, but the moment a player puts their name on the portal, their current school can cut scholarship, etc. You have no "official" idea if other schools want you until after you put your name out there.
        True, edited to reflect that.

Comment

On a different subject - I noticed that the Robert Morris games are scheduled to be on FloHockey this weekend. That's a nice bonus to get a non-conference road series in the package, instead of having to fork over more money to the NCHC or some other provider.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            On a different subject - I noticed that the Robert Morris games are scheduled to be on FloHockey this weekend. That's a nice bonus to get a non-conference road series in the package, instead of having to fork over more money to the NCHC or some other provider.
            AHC cut the same deal with Flo that we have so it’s a Robert Morris home telecast. Looking forward to catching that Niagara/Canisius series.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
              AHC cut the same deal with Flo that we have so it’s a Robert Morris home telecast. Looking forward to catching that Niagara/Canisius series.
              nice, looking forward to having home Air Force games to watch in that gap between the Eastern/Central WCHA games and the Alaska games
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                I still wish we had the option to listen to Dirk on the road. I'm no media genius, but it can't be that difficult for those that work in the business to give us an optional audio feed with the same video.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  I still wish we had the option to listen to Dirk on the road. I'm no media genius, but it can't be that difficult for those that work in the business to give us an optional audio feed with the same video.

You'd have to make a dedicated feed coming from the venue. At many of these barns, just one outgoing at any level of watchable quality is a struggle. Just too much bandwidth required to do a reliable second.

As long as you use the TuneIn app to listen, you can sync up the audio since that's always ahead of the video feed. It works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    You'd have to make a dedicated feed coming from the venue. At many of these barns, just one outgoing at any level of watchable quality is a struggle. Just too much bandwidth required to do a reliable second.

As long as you use the TuneIn app to listen, you can sync up the audio since that's always ahead of the video feed. It works pretty well.
                    Tunein is great until some chucklehead calls, texts or emails me during the game and it pauses my audio and screws it all up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

Ask and you shall receive. It’s a tad involved but I do this for every away game except Ferris (I like Harrison Watt’s call). I guess it depends on how badly you want to hear Dirk. I run this through my sound system. If someone has an easier way I’m all ears.

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35600
                      Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 10-03-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Comment

I usually listen to Dirk every game. I find him to be more professional and polished than the announcers at the others schools. No offense to them. Even the minnesota schools could learn from him. If it's an away game I try to sync it up but often it's not quite right.
                          Even if I'm at some other rink I'l listen to him via tune in for the post game. I get very frustrated when Pasty.net goes down.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I usually listen to Dirk every game. I find him to be more professional and polished than the announcers at the others schools. No offense to them. Even the minnesota schools could learn from him. If it's an away game I try to sync it up but often it's not quite right.
                            Even if I'm at some other rink I'l listen to him via tune in for the post game. I get very frustrated when Pasty.net goes down.
                            I have to agree Dirk is good, REALLY good and frankly not a huge homer.

Comment

dirk is amazing... but then i love listening to the games on the shortwave.

so its "Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard"

it ain't no off-season anymore... new thread? lock this one up...

"MTU Huskies 2019/20: Forth & Up"

Comment

Saretsky the Freshman on the first line. 2 goalies suited, not Pietela.
                                The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Working...
                                X