Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    It might not be the place but honestly, if a reporter asks the question it's because someone asked him. So maybe it is the place after all. The fact that the schools jointly decided not to comment puts the coaches in a bad position. They are the ones facing the public all the time. If the schools would come out with a credible answer and give it to the coaches all this would go away.
    At some point it's going to come out regardless. Then they are all going to look stupid.
    It is odd that they have been so quiet about it. Normally something like that would be hyped up, much like the NCHC/B1G did. If UAH didn't know anything about it, makes me question their motivations. (At the time the Alaska schools were in their budget fight.)

It appears to be a "smoke filled room" situation that everyone says they don't like. I don't like it, but I understand recent issues the Alaska schools. What I don't get is us (Tech) leaving another Science and Engineering focused school's hockey program to be destitute. It might be a pain to get to, their fan base might not be large, and they might not have had recent success, but Tech was in that position for a long time. It seems like we are turning our backs on school(s) that are going through what we went through. For these reasons, Dr Sanregret has some explaining to do.

The only reasons I see leaving are an easier to plan schedule/travel, wanting out of what the WCHA management has to offer/is running things, being seen as a true ECAC peer (not somewhere between AH and ECAC), and less political uncertainty. Were a top team or two going to bolt if a change wasn't made?

What is going to change with a new league? Magically are schools going to spend money on the same level as the BCs, BU, U of M, NoDok's of the world? Will they improve their streaming experience/marketing deals? Are we going to get amazing sponsors with deep pockets to shower them with money? What are they trying to accomplish with the Mag 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      It is odd that they have been so quiet about it. Normally something like that would be hyped up, much like the NCHC/B1G did. If UAH didn't know anything about it, makes me question their motivations. (At the time the Alaska schools were in their budget fight.)

It appears to be a "smoke filled room" situation that everyone says they don't like. I don't like it, but I understand recent issues the Alaska schools. What I don't get is us (Tech) leaving another Science and Engineering focused school's hockey program to be destitute. It might be a pain to get to, their fan base might not be large, and they might not have had recent success, but Tech was in that position for a long time. It seems like we are turning our backs on school(s) that are going through what we went through. For these reasons, Dr Sanregret has some explaining to do.

The only reasons I see leaving are an easier to plan schedule/travel, wanting out of what the WCHA management has to offer/is running things, being seen as a true ECAC peer (not somewhere between AH and ECAC), and less political uncertainty. Were a top team or two going to bolt if a change wasn't made?

What is going to change with a new league? Magically are schools going to spend money on the same level as the BCs, BU, U of M, NoDok's of the world? Will they improve their streaming experience/marketing deals? Are we going to get amazing sponsors with deep pockets to shower them with money? What are they trying to accomplish with the Mag 7?
      I think the biggest reason everything has been so quiet is that the 7 that are leaving don't really know how its going to play out. MSUM still wants in NCHC, I think there is a lot of negotiating going on about a reshuffle that goes beyond those 7 schools. Miami and WMU might not be happy with their current travel costs. What might happen is exactly what you'd expect to happen but who knows.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Some of my freinds from down here, who are not connected to MTU decided to drive to Calumet to see the Hockeyville game. I'm super glad they could go.
        I also got an email from some nameless, ( not really) sports guy at Tech saying how Flo hockey was going to broadcast all the games and how great it was, etc. The only thing he left off was the price. So how much will it be this year? Does anyone know?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          So how much will it be this year? Does anyone know?
          Per an email I got from them last week.
          Annual subscription = $149.99
          Monthly subscription = $29.99

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Per an email I got from them last week.
            Annual subscription = $149.99
            Monthly subscription = $29.99
            Do you get other sports and a 12-month pass with the annual subscription?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              Do you get other sports and a 12-month pass with the annual subscription?

I believe this is just FloHockey, so you get some hockey games other than WCHA, but I really don't know much about what they offer. I subscribed last year but couldn't find what this year's automatic renewal subscription would cost so I sent them an email. I didn't want the auto renew to jump to $250 or something like that. Maybe if you tell them your only interested in watching 7 out of the 10 wcha teams they'll give you a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                I believe this is just FloHockey, so you get some hockey games other than WCHA, but I really don't know much about what they offer. I subscribed last year but couldn't find what this year's automatic renewal subscription would cost so I sent them an email. I didn't want the auto renew to jump to $250 or something like that. Maybe if you tell them your only interested in watching 7 out of the 10 wcha teams they'll give you a discount.
                30% MAG7 Discount [emoji1787]

Comment

The annual subscription gets you all of FloSports except for regionally blacked out things. The only regional blackouts I’ve heard of are 2 MLS teams have used FloSports for a portion or all of their local region so you can only watch those games in those areas.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I think the biggest reason everything has been so quiet is that the 7 that are leaving don't really know how its going to play out. MSUM still wants in NCHC, I think there is a lot of negotiating going on about a reshuffle that goes beyond those 7 schools. Miami and WMU might not be happy with their current travel costs. What might happen is exactly what you'd expect to happen but who knows.
                    You have to realize this is not a coach question. AD yes some extent but also its the Presidents who made the decision with the AD recommendations. Does anyone know if say a 3rd party did some fact-checking gather etc?

Comment

It's also not really any of our business at this point, until the parties involved have firmer details to share.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Saw the new sweater. Let's just say Biddco got it right with one of the two he mentioned. It's crisp and clean and gorgeous, you're going to really like it.
                        I got it! Also I do love the jersey. Man tech has such an awesome set of jerseys.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          I got it! Also I do love the jersey. Man tech has such an awesome set of jerseys.
                          White helmets, too. When was the last time they used two different helmets in a season?

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            1. This is why I think they'll stay at seven teams, and that's what I've always thought (but haven't stated).

2. Who's going to any of the Mag7mm schools for a roadie? Are you going to work up an interlock with the non-Ivy ECAC teams? (chortle)

GFM
                            Boston U & Notre Dame are coming to NMU next year. St Cloud & Michigan St will come this year.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Quick reminder about the first Joe Shawhan Hour of the season tomorrow. It will air at 10am, not its usual 9am slot on Mix93 WKMJ.

Comment

Anyone else heading to Pittsburgh for the RMU series next weekend?
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X