Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    If he hasn't played NCAA, he should have all his eligibility, no?
    I was going by this summary from the NCAA website:

If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
      I was going by this summary from the NCAA website:
      So by that it looks like the clock starts when you enroll, not when you start playing.

If that is the case, a player that is academically ineligible to play, must raise his GPA at a non-DI school or lose that year of eligibility?

Interesting. I assumed the clock started when you joined the team. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? I’m thinking I’ll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I haven’t written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle
        *checks watch*

*taps foot*...
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I was dissapointed in our Staff/WCHA staff during media day. Not one, including ours, has the courage to say why the cowardly 7 are leaving. They had the chance and questions were asked and they all avoided an honest answer.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
            Got out of hockey for a year and started university at UofMinn.
            Did he play at UMD?
            I can't believe no one from the state of MN has shredded this thread yet over this.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I was dissapointed in our Staff/WCHA staff during media day. Not one, including ours, has the courage to say why the cowardly 7 are leaving. They had the chance and questions were asked and they all avoided an honest answer.
              I'm guessing the answers we want to hear (that we already know) will become public in the Summer of 2021.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

All official info about the 7 schools leaving and their projected new conference is supposed to come from their consultant/spokesperson Morris Kurtz. I think the 7 schools have been told not to discuss the matter independently of Kurtz.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  All official info about the 7 schools leaving and their projected new conference is supposed to come from their consultant/spokesperson Morris Kurtz. I think the 7 schools have been told not to discuss the matter independently of Kurtz.
                  Yep and he's not talking. This decision was a joint decision and came from the group that all agreed to it ahead of time. The fact that they won't talk is simply because they know they will take significant heat for it.
                  Personally, they will get more heat by operating as they are than just coming out with it.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Yep and he's not talking. This decision was a joint decision and came from the group that all agreed to it ahead of time. The fact that they won't talk is simply because they know they will take significant heat for it.
                    Personally, they will get more heat by operating as they are than just coming out with it.
                    six of one, half-a-dozen of the other...

the mag7 will be criticized no matter what... leaving your bride(s) at the altar never looks good, hardly anyway.

and really, what are they supposed to say that we don't know?

everyone talks about the travel when to me (that would be just me) it was more about the commitment that each university had about their own teams. the AK crises for example didn't just show out out of the blue... and their dance over the coaching positions was no less ridiculous then sean spicer.

maybe i am too old... michigan tech used to have a swimming and diving team when i started there. yep... and then it drowned, or was made to do so.

in the case of UAH; its their opportunity to lose here (watch for flying rocks - my way)... they can easily be the 8th team by doing a few money things, a few more things.

and really, besides them, i don't see no 8th team anywhere... at all.

saint thomas, central michigan, stevens point... money? western, miami, asu... why? rit, robert morris, mercyhurst... who?

and don't be stupid to think that mankato and bowling green ain't thinking further yet...

GO TECH GOLD!
                    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                      saint thomas, central michigan, stevens point... money? western, miami, asu... why? rit, robert morris, mercyhurst... who?

My bet is on St. Thomas. They have the money, it is just a matter of what hoops the NCAA is going to make them jump through, whether they go full D-I or up to D-II with D-I hockey. I think it would be a good grab by the 7 as it would give the league a foot in the door of the Twin Cities market. And those two "saint" schools of the current MIAC have pretty strong alumni bases, so any money that isn't there for the Tommies I am sure would show up pretty quickly.
                      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        My bet is on St. Thomas. They have the money, it is just a matter of what hoops the NCAA is going to make them jump through, whether they go full D-I or up to D-II with D-I hockey. I think it would be a good grab by the 7 as it would give the league a foot in the door of the Twin Cities market. And those two "saint" schools of the current MIAC have pretty strong alumni bases, so any money that isn't there for the Tommies I am sure would show up pretty quickly.
                        NCAA requirements aside, I think UST will need a sizable gift to build a DI rink, preferably on, or close to campus. I don't know where they would find the real estate. IMHO the STA rink won't cut it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Brandon, congratulations! This is a pretty cool honor for the publisher of Tech Hockey Guide.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            Brandon, congratulations! This is a pretty cool honor for the publisher of Tech Hockey Guide.
                            That's awesome!

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

NCAA requirements aside, I think UST will need a sizable gift to build a DI rink, preferably on, or close to campus. I don't know where they would find the real estate. IMHO the STA rink won't cut it.
                              Funding won't be a problem, I think there are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas alumni and booster base. But you are correct, land will be an issue. I have seen rumors of two ideas (not sure how much traction they have): 1. The university buys up some houses near campus, bulldozes them and puts up a rink. 2. They work out a deal with the Minnesota State Fair Board to renovate/rejuvenate the Warner Coliseum at the Fairgrounds.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                Congrats Brandon! You’re work is greatly appreciated by those of us that us big city transit!

And THG continues to be one of the best info sources in college hockey!
                                Last edited by davyd83; 09-20-2019, 01:24 PM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X