Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    As dire as some may think the state of BU hockey is, BU isn't gonna finish 12th in HE...
    Phew! That's good to know. Now I feel much better!!!!! I'd be OK with 10th...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Meanwhile, BC is bringing in a stud goalie and BU's riding with a kid who was a mid-year scramble who has no back-up. Uhhhh..... this is kind of a coaching fail, yes? What am I missing here? This program is still BU, right?

BU Hockey: Gonna Get Worse Before it Gets Better
      Yes but you can compensate by scoring more goals and still play good defense

BU is again bringing in high end talent
      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        To US, yeah. But this is not your father's BU. The landscape has changed. Competition for top players has dramatically increased. WE have a loyalty to BU, so naturally we feel as though everyone should want to come here. But to a kid coming in, who is only thinking about getting to the next level, the "reputation" and "tradition" doesn't mean a thing.

You can't market the program by focusing on a winning tradition and championships if a kid only wants to stay a year. He's looking at it as a steppingstone and if he's good enough, he already has one foot out the door the first day.

Which is why you need the older, perhaps less-skilled player to be the glue that provides continuity, leadership and to help hold the program together.
        Nor is it any of our father's BC, Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Minnesota, NoDak...

It's not just college hockey trending older, but the growth of the sport at lower levels throughout the U.S. and additional HS/Prep/Junior programs and leagues feeding the NCAA have resulted in far greater exposure to college hockey plus competition for comparable talent.

The facilities, urban campus (for some), academics, connections to BU Hockey, and influence of former recent BU stars now in the NHL are largely the driving factors towards a kid's likely interest in BU. The Beanpot, the 1971, 1972, 1978 or 1995 titles don't resonate as much. Agganis Arena; players like Eichel, McAvoy, Keller who loved their BU experience and are doing great in the NHL are more influential than the uber-rich tradition of generations past.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          Meanwhile, BC is bringing in a stud goalie and BU's riding with a kid who was a mid-year scramble who has no back-up. Uhhhh..... this is kind of a coaching fail, yes? What am I missing here? This program is still BU, right?

BU Hockey: Gonna Get Worse Before it Gets Better
          We have a stud goalie recruit coming in the fall of 2020 so really not much of a fail. Purpura was already slated to come to BU in the fall of 2019, his addition this year wasn't a mid-year scramble to find a warm body, but rather a realization that Prawdzik was not a serviceable backup this season for Jake. Therefore, they excelled his enrollment at BU.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Someone mentioned the possibility of a grad transfer goalie. I understand this option is being strongly pursued with a few candidates.
            http://***********/jeffcoxsports/status/1110976808130875393?s=21

Assuming this is accurate, the three Hockey East goalies I can see matching this description (unless I’m missing something) are (with their 2018-19 stats):

Stefanos Lekkas, UVM (34 GP, 2.27 GAA, .930 SV%)

Tyler Wall, UM-L (22 GP, 2.09 GAA, .921 SV%)

Adam Huska, UConn (21 GP, 3.34 GAA, .896 SV%)

Francis Marotte, Robert Morris (40 GP, 2.85 GAA, .908 SV%)
            Last edited by SMW_Bu21; 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM. Reason: Fixing Link

Comment

Originally posted by SMW_Bu21 View Post
              https://***********/jeffcoxsports/st...130875393?s=21

Assuming this is accurate, the three Hockey East goalies I can see matching this description (unless I’m missing something) are (with their 2018-19 stats):

Stefanos Lekkas, UVM (34 GP, 2.27 GAA, .930 SV%)

Tyler Wall, UM-L (22 GP, 2.09 GAA, .921 SV%)

Adam Huska, UConn (21 GP, 3.34 GAA, .896 SV%)

Francis Marotte, Robert Morris (40 GP, 2.85 GAA, .908 SV%)
              Huska signed with the Rangers. Tyler Wall is not a grad transfer candidate unless he is graduating from UML in three years. Same with Lekkas.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Someone mentioned the possibility of a grad transfer goalie. I understand this option is being strongly pursued with a few candidates.
                "Look for quite a few grad transfers among goalies with one year of college eligibility left. Robert Morris junior Francis Marotte is a big name. 3 goalies from Hockey East and additional ones from ECAC Hockey and WCHA." - Jeff Cox, via twitter

As far as I can tell on the Hockey East ones, Lekkas from UVM and Tyler Wall from Lowell seem like the most likely ones with any significant amount of actual starting experience.

Comment

Bowers appears gone
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

From Jeff Cox

Expect announcement shortly that BU sophomore Shane Bowers has signed with Colorado Avalanche. 200-foot center skates well. Had 11-10–21 in 37 GP this season. Former 1st rd pick of Ottawa Senators.

https://***********/JeffCoxSports/st...92484119781376
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Bringing in older people doesn’t necessarily mean they will stay.... old will mean they weren’t drafted and be able to sign as free agents to whomever wants them, buffet style.

Unless of course they are not good.... which leaves us back to where we stand now
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                        From Jeff Cox

Expect announcement shortly that BU sophomore Shane Bowers has signed with Colorado Avalanche. 200-foot center skates well. Had 11-10–21 in 37 GP this season. Former 1st rd pick of Ottawa Senators.

https://***********/JeffCoxSports/st...92484119781376
                        This is approaching BC 2016 territory

Comment

A couple of other observations:
                          1. What is the big draw at BU other than reputation and a great facility? It used to be the excitement of a great home game or a bean-pot game where we drastically outnumbered the other fans. The rink is a mausoleum most evenings and the student participation is for crap.
                          2. It's been a while since I've brought up the snobbish point that college hockey ought to have to abide by the same age/post-HS rules that the other NCAA sports do. The two-year gap gives an advantage to age over skill.
                          "What about my asthma?"
                          "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            This is approaching BC 2016 territory
                            yes- but they were not a below 500 team

Comment

Woah

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                                yes- but they were not a below 500 team
                                Good point. David Quinn is cackling right now as he looks at his bank account.

Comment

Working...
                                X