Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    See I don’t totally agree with that it isn’t always that each player wanted to get paid as fast as possible of course they all want to get paid but want the best situation where they get to develop and get a chance to play and quickest path to the NHL no one wants to sign to languish in the AHL or worse when maybe staying in school would be a better choice development wise and quality of life wise ... now if you feel that not to be the case then it changes the calculus which I think is what some people are saying and asking about what those reasons may be
    I think the caliber of player that we are discussing all think they are NHL material thus the decisions they made. Personally, I think Farabee should have come back for one more year and increased his strength. I think his agents/sdvisors and Flyers organization would have agreed with that...I think the player thinks he is ready for the next level and wants to play in NHL...all conjecture on my part but thats what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      And I'm not piling on....only repeating what I said at the time refuting those who said "He's paid his dues." That has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been hired as a head coach. It's a unique skill and not everyone has it. Just look at Josh McDaniels. There's a huge difference when ALL of the attention and pressure is on you because you're "the" guy. I have worked with people that are phenomenal at their jobs as individual contributors but s*ck as managers. There's a reason why some people are passed over. The problem arises because in some professions there is only "one path" to the highest income level, and in coaching it happens to be head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Seems unfair to Albie. It was his first year as a head coach--anywhere. And I know he was on staff but ultimately Quinn called the shots. The current roster construction should fall on Quinn not Albie. Need to give the guy a few years to put his program together. Not like BU was great last year either. Needed to win HE tournament to get in just like this year. And easily could have lost to BC in that semifinal game last year.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Seems unfair to Albie. It was his first year as a head coach--anywhere. And I know he was on staff but ultimately Quinn called the shots. The current roster construction should fall on Quinn not Albie. Need to give the guy a few years to put his program together. Not like BU was great last year either. Needed to win HE tournament to get in just like this year. And easily could have lost to BC in that semifinal game last year.
          I don't think they're talking about the roster construction. I think they're referring to:
          1) the fact that there didn't seem to be much improvement throughout the course of the year
          2) he was never able to get them to jell and play completely as a team (and I say "he" because that IS the head coach's job - to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts

Now, of course, and this is the wild card, it's tough to measure when you have players whose heads are dreaming about $$$. And that's the dilemma with the present setup. As was previously mentioned, in general today, people have shorter attention spans and demand immediate gratification. Few want to put in the work to get to the point where they will earn their spots. They instead are somewhat delusional about how good they are. But is this totally their fault? No. When you are told from the time you are 10 years old how great you are, this is what happens. You get entitled people who are looking to short-cut the process. Which is exactly why you need continuity and leadership to keep them focused on today, not where they will be playing next year. But it's getting more and more difficult in today's society to do this, because we see examples of the same thing all around us. This is exactly why you get a team that loses to Merrimack, Quinnipiac (a game they should have won), Union and UConn. Yes, top end talent plays "better" when they're challenged and motivated. The trick is to keep them that way when the games don't mean as much. That's why, as much as you say people like Calipari and Coach K get the "best players," they still have the knack of getting them to give a great effort most nights. Which brings us full circle back to the skill set. There's usually a reason why an assistant never advances. And why the great ones typically rose to the top early in their careers. Again, not an indictment of Albie. Only 1% of coaches are in that category, so it's not fair to say he "failed" if he's not in that 1%. The better response would probably be that perhaps they should have hired someone else to begin with. Time will tell, but if he doesn't succeed, it's more likely that he just doesn't have that skill. Which is nothing to be ashamed of. Extracting potential from someone is a very difficult task. Most people can't do it.
          Last edited by chickod; 03-25-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            And I'm not piling on....only repeating what I said at the time refuting those who said "He's paid his dues." That has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been hired as a head coach. It's a unique skill and not everyone has it. Just look at Josh McDaniels. There's a huge difference when ALL of the attention and pressure is on you because you're "the" guy. I have worked with people that are phenomenal at their jobs as individual contributors but s*ck as managers. There's a reason why some people are passed over. The problem arises because in some professions there is only "one path" to the highest income level, and in coaching it happens to be head coach.
            I just finished reading "Wise Guys" Man, I wish Jack O'Callahan had gone down the coaching track. Can you imagine his personality, smarts, and competitiveness behind the BU bench?
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              I just finished reading "Wise Guys" Man, I wish Jack O'Callahan had gone down the coaching track. Can you imagine his personality, smarts, and competitiveness behind the BU bench?
              Yes. BUT...that's not a given either. Not everyone responds to that personality type. The key is for the coach to RECOGNIZE who he can yell at, scream at, embarrass and who he has to pull aside privately, or give encouragement to in place of criticism. Understanding the difference is the key to success. Most people only have one style and it won't "fit all." Managing people is a very complex task. It takes patience, compassion and acute awareness of the personality types of the people who are working under you. And, in many cases the best players don't make the best coaches exactly BECAUSE they can't relate to people who don't pick things up as easily as they did. Little things like rolling your eyes at the wrong time when someone doesn't "get it" can totally derail someone's psyche. You have to know when you can and when you can't call someone out or embarrass them publicly versus when it's best to air your grievances in private. For better or worse, for right or wrong, the style back in Jack's day won't cut it in today's world of pampered people (not just athletes). Did you see the uproar over the Michigan State BB coach (Tom Izzo) when he screamed at his player coming off the court during a time out? People actually called for his firing!! These are the same people who call child services when a parent yells at their kid in the grocery store. Coaching is something that I don't even think I'd want to do today, frankly.
              Last edited by chickod; 03-25-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                You mean the same Josh McDaniels that is the handpicked successor to Bill Belichick the greatest coach in any sport ever? Try another example As despite his poor showing with the Broncos he did get a second job offer with the Colts although he eventually reneged on that obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by boots68 View Post
                  You mean the same Josh McDaniels that is the handpicked successor to Bill Belichick the greatest coach in any sport ever? Try another example As despite his poor showing with the Broncos he did get a second job offer with the Colts although he eventually reneged on that obviously.
                  Is he the head coach yet? Then what's your point?

Comment

Not sure if this was already posted. If Bowers does return, he and Zegras would be the top two centers. Amonte or Wise the third with one of them moving to wing. Harper, Cockerill, Curry and Mastrosimone the most likely wings for the top two lines. Ethan Phillips has had some nice write-ups in the draft reports. Has a history as a goal-scorer, so could be a third-line contributor.

Someone mentioned the possibility of a grad transfer goalie. I understand this option is being strongly pursued with a few candidates.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                      I understand this option is being strongly pursued with a few candidates.
                      Any idea on the potentially available options?
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Any idea on the potentially available options?
                        My biggest concern is in goal for next year. What I saw of Purpura gave me chills.

I'm sorry to see Farabee go - I think another year would have been good for him. I understand Jake and Dante - would have loved Jake another year but it was, at best, unlikely. Good riddance to Krys. He should have gotten an assist on the first NU goal in the semifinals, and it wouldn't have been his first of those this year. I've always felt they should have done an 'Ahti Oksanen' with him - moved him up front where he could have been productive. He was an embarrassment as a defender. I hope the rest of them thinking about jumping don't hear that 'Siren Song' and get lured away by false hopes of early glory.

Comment

Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
                          would have loved Jake another year but it was, at best, unlikely.
                          Even more unlikely because it turns out Jake will graduate from BU this summer.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I think one hidden issue here is that the USNDTP has become almost too effective at developing US players (for our selfish purposes, good for USA Hockey of course). BU has been landing recruits from the program since the days of Freddy Meyer. Remember the "Big 4" class with Whitney, Maiser, Miller, and McConnell? Whitney is the only one who played in the NHL. This coming June, there could be 10 guys from the USNDTP drafted in the first round. Eichel was obviously a slam dunk, but I was surprised at Keller's immediate success in the NHL (though he has cooled off this year), and I am very surprised at Tkachuk's success this year. I think the reality is that NCAA hockey is as close to pro hockey in terms of caliber as it has ever been. I want to point to Drury (4 years), McEachern (3) and Amonte (2) and say "these guys were better than Farabee, Tkachuk, and Keller", but perhaps we aren't giving enough credit to how good the competition in D-1 NCAA has become.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              Albie certainlly has a rough road ahead and it will be interesting to see how much rope he has. Next year looks like a total rebuild year and thats not going to go over well. I think administration has to give him a few years to instill his stamp on the program but its going to be rough waters until BU comes out of this downturn. Only thing that is a positive is I think Umass comes back to pack with Makar leaving, PC will be good, Umass Lowell/UNH/UMaine/UConn/Merrimack/VT arent good either so Hockey East is pretty crappy. BC has a great recruiting class coming in but for how long and how long do they stay for? BU can still be decent in this conference.
                              I don't think BU's class is too shabby. Two very dynamic forwards (including a first rounder) and 3 USNDTP d-men (with Vlasic very possibly a first-rounder).
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

If we have additional departures, it may also create an opportunity to add a couple of older players from whom we might get a couple of years. There have to be some out there.......

Comment

Working...
                                X