Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Oh...I absolutely agree, but what can we do? If they're not going to change the recruiting strategy, then that's all we have to pin our hopes on, right? You basically have a new team every other year and they use the regular season to hopefully peak and jell at the "right time." It's not ideal, but it seems to be a growing trend in college hockey. The old days are seemingly gone forever. I'm not really sure what the blueprint is at UMass, but it's a little early to judge IMO. Not sure I like what I see, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that Carvel "asked" some players not to return so he could bring in more blue chippers? If that's the case, I think it's the wrong way to go. If you give a kid a scholarship and then revoke it just because you find someone better, that doesn't seem like what we want to do. This still isn't professional hockey - it's college.

Lets not get crazy - Umass got extremely lucky with Cale Makar. He is a the very rare circumstance where he stayed at a school when he should have left. Credit to Makar but take him off that team and they arent something special. When you get a player like that (Eichel at BU was similiar) then things are different. That elite caliber player leaves and the rest of the team drops back to planet earth.

Comment

Was able to snag some front row corner seats at Tsongas yesterday. It's a shame that these quarterfinal weekends are over school's breaks, but it was fun sittin' down front. It shouldn't be permitted that they pipe the band's music through the sound system. Certainly not at the volume they were doing it at Tsongas...Though at least they have a few decent beer choices.

I also happened to be in Providence for the Saturday tilt, PC/BC. It was an extraordinarily feisty game. The stuff after the whistle was constant. So, Schneider Arena: This place was pretty obviously built by the low-cost bidder and the architect was an aspiring George Costanza. How do you build a rink where there are nearly zero seats that have unobstructed views? There are so many rails and other obstructions, it ridiculous. How about putting the concourse in the back and then having rows? On a positive note, it was very clean and the seats were very wide!
      "What about my asthma?"
      "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Lets not get crazy - Umass got extremely lucky with Cale Makar. He is a the very rare circumstance where he stayed at a school when he should have left. Credit to Makar but take him off that team and they arent something special. When you get a player like that (Eichel at BU was similiar) then things are different. That elite caliber player leaves and the rest of the team drops back to planet earth.
        Well from what I saw Friday they have more than Makar.

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
          It shouldn't be permitted that they pipe the band's music through the sound system. Certainly not at the volume they were doing it at Tsongas...
          Absolutely! I had to yell to talk to the person next to me. And it's not just that...it's the constant inundation of SOMETHING...either videos, PA announcer with continuous promotions, etc. You don't get one second of quiet. But that's another thing that has become a trend. I know they did it when the Celtics were playing on the road (can't remember where off hand)...the crowd was nowhere near full and they just piped in "fake" crowd noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            Depends on what you mean by planet earth. There are a lot of good players on that team. Carvel has done a tremendous job in a short period of time.

Comment

Absolutely! I had to yell to talk to the person next to me. And it's not just that...it's the constant inundation of SOMETHING...either videos, PA announcer with continuous promotions, etc. You don't get one second of quiet. But that's another thing that has become a trend. I know they did it when the Celtics were playing on the road (can't remember where off hand)...the crowd was nowhere near full and they just piped in "fake" crowd noise.
              I thought the PA/music was louder than usual this weekend. Not sure if it had something to do with the league's involvement in these games. All of those "tv timeouts" with ad reads was definitely a HE tournament thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                I thought the PA/music was louder than usual this weekend. Not sure if it had something to do with the league's involvement in these games. All of those "tv timeouts" with ad reads was definitely a HE tournament thing.
                And also, of course, with the sparse (2200) crowd it seemed even louder and echoed more...

Comment

Anyone know which section Agganis has tickets in?
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Anyone know which section Agganis has tickets in?
                    I believe it's always the same block every year...in the Loge it would be the quarter that incorporates 13-17 and in the balcony 317-321. Having said that, I have NO idea...just going by where I have sat in previous years.

On the other hand, it doesn't really matter anyway. If I'm you I would buy the cheapest seat and sit wherever you want. Nobody will be at a 4:00 p.m. game, and whoever loses the first game will be out of there by 7:00 anyway. Unless this year a sudden miracle occurs. It was empty at 5:00 last year and now they've moved it up an hour.

Personally, I would basically have to take the entire day off to get there in time for a 4:00 game, so I am taking a different strategy this year. As much as I love to see two games, I am going to wait to see if we win and if so I will go Saturday. Keep in mind that if we win, that knocks out NU who may have the largest crowd (if not it will be the second largest group of fans), so there will be plenty of seats available. Hopefully BU will have more than the 300 or so that showed up yesterday...

Comment

Keep in mind that if we win, that knocks out NU who may have the largest crowd (if not it will be the second largest group of fans), so there will be plenty of seats available...
                      I’d be surprised if UMASS doesn’t have the largest group of fans. There were so many at Agganis this year that it almost seemed like an away game.

Comment

On the other hand, it doesn't really matter anyway.
                        It matters in that I want to sit as far away from UMass fans as possible
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          I’d be surprised if UMASS doesn’t have the largest group of fans. There were so many at Agganis this year that it almost seemed like an away game.
                          Agreed. But if we win Friday, that leaves UMass and us. UMass will bring 5,000...we will bring 600. Plenty of seats available... (and I wish I were being sarcastic, but I'm not - and I'm not going to revisit the ongoing attendance discussion that has gone three years running now either). If UMass loses then you get BC, and they'll bring 601.

And if anybody thinks I'm crazy, you haven't attended the last three years. I don't care what the "official" numbers say...for our game last year (1st game Friday) it was 75% empty. The only time there is any semblance of a crowd is during the "overlap," especially if the first game is still in doubt. But midway through the 2nd period of the second game, NU/Providence, it was back to 75% empty again. Of course, they count the "combined" total, but the problem is "everybody" is only there for about 10% of the evening, which kills the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            It matters in that I want to sit as far away from UMass fans as possible
                            Good luck. They will probably have the most there. Partially because it's a relatively new experience, but mostly because they have the largest school (and a LOT of Massachusetts students, unlike what has happened at BU lately).

But again, don't take my word for the sections...I'm going by the past. It's likely they could have changed everything based on the anticipated UMass crowd. I haven't seen a "Tickets" link on the BU website yet, and since I gave up my season tickets I don't have any "advance" knowledge.

Comment

There's been a LOT of discussion on UMass twitter since mid-game Saturday on who's playing the late game and why on Friday. UMass AD's response? Its up to HE who plays when to maximize attendance and revenue. UMass Hockey purists are up in arms about the late game but there's a huge number of UMass alumni who don't trek west on Fridays and Saturdays who will go to the Gahden for an evening game.

So finding a section without UMass fans is (hopefully) going to be a tough one It looks like the mid-ice lower bowl are team sections. Tickets for our team section go on sale at 11am tomorrow.
                              GO MINUTEMEN

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron View Post
                                There's been a LOT of discussion on UMass twitter since mid-game Saturday on who's playing the late game and why on Friday. UMass AD's response? Its up to HE who plays when to maximize attendance and revenue.
                                Why are they up in arms?

Comment

Working...
                                X