Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Well that play by Bozak was a disgrace. But it sums up this series. Congratulations NHL. You’ve gone back to the 1950’s. Hope you’re all happy.
    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Total slew-foot. Horrible oversight. But that's the NHL~!
    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I am not happy with the missed tripping call either. And, I agree that the NHL officials are horrible. And, I will not complain about HEA officials any longer. But, I do not think that the officials were the difference in game 5 or the series. Rather, the Blues are simply a better team, and have been since January 1st.
    Now there's quite the variety of conclusions after last night's game. I don't think any sane person can say that Bozak didn't get away with one there. And it was unfortunate, no doubt, for the B's that the play eventually led to a Blues' goal. But let me just expand on this a little bit, and hopefully talk some of my B's-loving friends off the ledge this morning. The series is NOT over, and it's all still there to play for. And the great news is, your captain was able to play, and will play better next game.

On the non-call specifically, I go back to what happened to the Blues in OT of Game 3 at home against the Sharks. Horrible non-call of a blatant hand-pass that led directly to the Nyquist GWG in OT. If you think you're aggrieved as a B's fan today … can you imagine being on the receiving end of that one? End of game, and amazingly not reviewable (whereas offsides in the lead-up to a goal is reviewable; please explain? ). No recourse. Of course, there was no guarantee the Blues were going to win that game in OT anyway (and I'll get back to that point shortly). But on a 1-10 scale, it was an 11. Ouch.

So coming back to Game 5 last night … SLB is already up 1-0 when the Bozak slew-foot happens. Let's say it's called. Is there any guarantee the B's score on the resulting PP? Nope - plus their PP hasn't scored in two games now. It changes the course of events afterwards too. Does the Debrusk goal still happen? If you have that crystal ball, please share. The point being, none of us know what would have happened. It could have ended t 1-0 SLB. The B's could have tied it, or won in OT. But, like with the Blues in their Game 3 loss to SJS … who's to say the Blues don't win it in OT anyway?

Even with the non-call … the B's got that goal back not too long afterwards. They had sufficient time to find an equalizer, or perhaps even an equalizer AND a winner. They came close a couple of times; it didn't happen. It's not like this happened in OT and the game was over, with no recourse. You move on.

How the two coaches have handled their business has been revealing to this point. After the Game 3 debacle against SJS, Coach Berube swallowed hard and didn't go there. It was all about flushing that, and getting back to business. I remember in the aftermath of that game, some of the Sharks' players were dismissing the non-call on the hand pass by saying, basically, that "well, we deserved to win anyway". What happens next? The Blues ramp up the physical play, and win 3 straight. Bye SJS.

In this series, Berube pointed out after Game 3 that his team was the least penalized team in the NHL playoffs this year (I'm assuming that's on a per game basis). There was no direct attack on the officials, but the point was made cleverly. He's gotten the desired impact over these last two games. Will it continue to carry forward? Break out that crystal ball again, please.

Coach Cassidy deserves a ton of credit for what he's done in Boston to transform his team from Blues East to a faster and more skilled team. But the very pointed attack last night on the officiating is not going to do his team any favors. He's hardly been the most aggrieved coach in the 2019 playoffs. Should he have said something? Heck yeah. But something more indirect or subtle, like Berube (who ironically as a player was anything but those qualities). I will also add that Cassidy was afflicted with the "clock deathwatch" look for most of the last two periods last night. That look where you're behind, and you constantly look up at the clock as if you're on death row? Listen, I understand, as a coach, you need to know your situation. But there is just looking/checking, and then there's THAT look. I think he is starting to panic a little, feels this one is slipping away on him, and his non-verbal cues were right up (down?) there with his verbal messaging in the post-game. Not the signs of a confident guy.

I'm also scratching my head about the pre-game decision to dress Kampfer and sit Backes. Kampfer is lucky that Rask bailed his butt out several times on some horrendous mistakes later in the game. He added nothing. In the meantime, you have one of the few physical forwards on the roster, playing with a huge chip on his shoulder as the former C of the opposition, sitting up in the stands for the biggest game of the year. Again, I understand, they wanted "Chara insurance" in case it turned out that he couldn't handle it, or got re-injured. But they got nothing out of Kampfer, and they lost an edge that Backes gives them. Dumb but a mistake I doubt the B's will make again in Game 6 (or Game 7, if it gets there, which it still may - get off that ledge! ).

Chara proved himself to be the ultimate warrior, and I thought his mere presence fueled the B's strong first period. He gets my absolute, total, unquestioned respect forever. And if you read my past posts, you know I wasn't surprised to see him play. Was he at his full 42 y.o. speed? No. Was he good enough. Yes. Was it a good thing he played, despite being slowed? Heck yes. And with 3 days between games from here on out, I think Chara's play will continue to improve for the duration.

Another guy with the spoked B who gets my plaudits is a guy I'm not a huge fan of, and that's Rask. I've never been a fan of his playing style, and you guys know how I feel about goalies who spend 90% of the time sliding around on their knees (ugh). We all have our things, and if chickod is revulsed by the all-action physical play of the Blues … well, the new-age goalie style is my pet peeve - I think that sets the game back, and in a sport with such exceptional skill and speed, it's a bad look when you have this huge guy squatting in front of goal, filling up the goal frame, with his head (and sometimes shoulders) still jutting out above the crossbar. Raise the crossbar, please … but I digress. Rask came into the playoffs with a shadowy reputation for not playing well at this time of the season. This year, he has been unassailable. He has unquestionably risen to the occasion, and it is not his fault if the B's lose this series. Even last night, he made several huge stops down the stretch to keep his team in the contest. The first goal wasn't on him, and the second one (putting aside the non-call) was just a really unlucky break.

Another editorial point, while I'm at it … oh, those pesky SOG's told a big lie last night. The B's compiled a significant edge in SOG's but never led in the game, and without Rask saving their bacon several times (plus the amazing Krejci save late in the second period), the Bozak non-call doesn't even factor in. The final score easily could have been 4-1 Blues. I don't think there's any real question that the Blues had the better of the quality scoring chances overall, and they could (should?) have done better to put this one away earlier in the 3rd period.

To sum up … the series has now unquestionably gotten to the point where the Cup is no longer the B's to lose. I thought it might be there after the Game 4 events, and with Chara's injury. Now the Cup is the Blues' Cup to lose. The B's are going to have to dig really deep to turn this one around now. This is what the Sharks were looking like after Game 5 in their conference finals series a couple of weeks ago. Some of their guys are indeed digging deep … Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krug (who is trying hard to pick up the slack) and a few others. Others have gone a little quiet. Those 4 guys are going to have to convince the rest of their teammates this is still do-able. I'm not sure their coach did them any favors with that last night.

My prediction is, the B's get out quickly against a slightly overconfident Blues team on Sunday night, and force a Game 7 for all the marbles next Wednesday night in Boston. Have at it, folks.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Well they (the Blues) are certainly the more cohesive bunch out there. Too much inconsistency among the top six....damaged goods on the D. There's nothing spectacular about the Blues (IMHO) they are just plugging along; getting the job done obviously. Would agree the officiating reeks and that's not the difference in the game (although that trip on Accari...hello?????) But you'd think the B's would rally around their Captain who's out there with a broken jaw doing what he can. I put this on the top line, 100%....and, will give credit to the smothering (and at times down right illegal; didn't know you could grab a player by the neck and yank them down...) play and forecheck of the Blues to stymie them. No sour grapes here; just disappointment...
      Highlighted more of the dismissive descriptions of the Blues, which could just as easily be used as polite dismissals of how good the B's are by some of the more talented (yet eliminated) teams in their conference. I know you love it when I do things like this to your posts.

I do think you've knocked it out of the park with your comment on the B's first line. Two-thirds of them have been AWOL, and one took a typically stupid boneheaded stick penalty last night. He still gets away with more than what gets called on him, but another one at the wrong place/wrong time in Game 6 (or Game 7) could end really badly for him and his teammates if he isn't smart enough to rein it in. Unfortunately, when under pressure to perform, sometimes guys like him revert to their true form. If I were Coach Berube, I'd tell my guys to chirp at #63 and see if they can push him to TILT. It might make all the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Is there any guarantee the B's score on the resulting PP?
        C'mon, Chuck! What difference does that make? Does that justify completely blowing a call? Let's take it out of context for a minute. That is one of the most dangerous plays in hockey. In fact, they had to whisk Acciari off the ice into a probably concussion protocol. The ref is standing directly behind him (ten feet away) and the OTHER ref was looking right at it from the blue line. NEITHER ONE saw it????

It doesn't matter if they would have scored on the PP or not. And you can recite "what if" scenarios ad infinitum. (good thing I took Latin)

I'm sorry, but when you see stuff like this you start to think that the league wants the Blues to win. Let's see, one of the "original" expansion teams....was in the cup finals three straight years and never won a game...hasn't won a cup ever and they have been in the league 52 years...other "expansion" teams have won the cup (Flyers, Penguins, Kings). In fact, aren't the Blues the ONLY one of the "first" six expansion teams NOT to win the cup? The North Stars (but they're the Stars now and they have won) and the California Golden Bagels (who no longer exist) were the other two.

And all I can say is, if the league doesn't want to open itself up to conspiracy theories, then get some COMPETENT officials. To think that these guys are the BEST and are in the Finals on the basis of merit can only make one lean even more in that direction.

Oh, BTW. Grzelyck SKATED full contact and was cleared by the medical staff, and the LEAGUE NIXED IT. Coincidence?

YES, the first line has been awful. Marchand looks like he has been drugged and Pastrnak is in a funk. But NONE of that has anything to do with that "non-call."
        Last edited by chickod; 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          This is what the Sharks were looking like after Game 5 in their conference finals series a couple of weeks ago. Some of their guys are indeed digging deep … Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krug (who is trying hard to pick up the slack) and a few others. Others have gone a little quiet.
          You sound as if you have stopped about an inch short of "commending" the Blues for "wearing down" another opponent. As I have said, fine, if that's the kind of game you want, I'm glad you're happy. I want to see speed and skill, not head-hunting. I have a slightly different take (and it's not because they're playing the Bruins - I felt this way as I was watching them all through the playoffs).

Yeah, of course it has been "effective." You'd slow down and be looking to get hit every second also if you were out there.

IMO, the Blues are a scumbag team and Berube is an _ _ _ hole. So there.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
            C'mon, Chuck! What difference does that make? Does that justify completely blowing a call? Let's take it out of context for a minute. That is one of the most dangerous plays in hockey. In fact, they had to whisk Acciari off the ice into a probably concussion protocol. The ref is standing directly behind him (ten feet away) and the OTHER ref was looking right at it from the blue line. NEITHER ONE saw it????

It doesn't matter if they would have scored on the PP or not. And you can recite "what if" scenarios ad infinitum. (good thing I took Latin)

I'm sorry, but when you see stuff like this you start to think that the league wants the Blues to win. Let's see, one of the "original" expansion teams....was in the cup finals three straight years and never won a game...hasn't won a cup ever and they have been in the league 52 years...other "expansion" teams have won the cup (Flyers, Penguins, Kings). In fact, aren't the Blues the ONLY one of the "first" six expansion teams NOT to win the cup? The North Stars (but they're the Stars now and they have won) and the California Golden Bagels (who no longer exist) were the other two.

And all I can say is, if the league doesn't want to open itself up to conspiracy theories, then get some COMPETENT officials. To think that these guys are the BEST and are in the Finals on the basis of merit can only make one lean even more in that direction.

Oh, BTW. Grzelyck SKATED full contact and was cleared by the medical staff, and the LEAGUE NIXED IT. Coincidence?

YES, the first line has been awful. Marchand looks like he has been drugged and Pastrnak is in a funk. But NONE of that has anything to do with that "non-call."
            Actually, Marchand looks like he’s on the take!!! :-)

( that stated, I’m not buying into the league conspiracy stuff )
            Last edited by wildcatdc; 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              Actually, Marchand looks like he’s on the take!!! :-)

( that stated, I’m not buying into the league conspiracy stuff )
              I am with chickod, NHL conspiracy against the B's. :-)

I agree with Chuck that Captain Chara is a stud, and I noticed that Backes was scowling every time that the TV cameras zoomed in on him sitting on the pine.

I heard on the radio (not the Internets) that Marchand hurt his hand in the "practice" game ("not a game, just practice") between series.

Finally, being at Fenway tonight reminded me that I do not agree with Dan that throwing the ball around the horn after infield outs and strike outs is as disrespectful as batters flipping their bats and whatever pitchers do (I forget) in softball. :-)
              Last edited by Snively65; 06-07-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Finally, being at Fenway tonight reminded me that I do not agree with Dan that throwing the ball around the horn after infield outs and strike outs is as disrespectful as batters flipping their bats and whatever pitchers do (I forget) in softball. :-)
                Even as the Rays do it over and over and over and over and over in dominant fashion tonight. Just kicking our butts and running it in I say...!!!
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Goodness ... chickod, if I dodn't know better, I'd suspect you were Coach Cassidy in disguise ...

First point - in the lengthy post of mine you lifted one line out of - which BTW is accurate and legit - check the second sentence in that post. This is what it says ...

"I don't think any sane person can say that Bozak didn't get away with one there."

I'm sorry, though … FWIW I was the one on here who initially pointed out that SLB is the only original expansion franchise not to have won a Cup to date, but I mentioned it as a reason for me to be sympatico with their long-suffering, loyal fans (and just as an FYI, the Oakland Seals/California Seals/California Golden Seals/Cleveland Barons eventually merged with the Minnesota North Stars, with lineage to the Dallas Stars, so even they're Cup connected). To state the obvious, though … the argument that the NHL wants St. Louis to win this, at the B's expense?!?!?!? C'mon, you can't be serious ... Original Six Boston is the #9 US media market, and St. Louis is #21 at its most generous ranking.

It's just a little bit rich on here when B's fans are acting all aggrieved about the thuggery (?) of the Blues. Did you see how the B's manhandled the Canucks back in 2011? I don't remember the hand-wringing about restricting the superior skill of the Sedin twins back then. You'd think the B's were the lineal successors to the '87 Edmonton Oilers, with all of the faux snobbery and disgust with the Blues' play. Uh, no. Way too convenient. Nice try - but try again.

The B's can still win this. They're currently down in the series not because the refs are against them; they're down because their best players aren't playing well 5-on-5, and they are being physically outplayed by a motivated opponent playing a system that has been effective against a wide range of teams. If those players can somehow rediscover their game - and quick - they can still take home the hardware. But if they're feeling how you're feeling right now chickod, they are dead in the water. JMHO.
                  Last edited by Chuck Murray; 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

You sound as if you have stopped about an inch short of "commending" the Blues for "wearing down" another opponent. As I have said, fine, if that's the kind of game you want, I'm glad you're happy. I want to see speed and skill, not head-hunting. I have a slightly different take (and it's not because they're playing the Bruins - I felt this way as I was watching them all through the playoffs).

Yeah, of course it has been "effective." You'd slow down and be looking to get hit every second also if you were out there.

IMO, the Blues are a scumbag team and Berube is an _ _ _ hole. So there.
                    Question: how is it that you think the B's got to the Finals? Do you think they were more talented than Toronto? (no) Do you think they finessed the 'Canes and CBJ out of the subsequent rounds? (not really) Sure, they were/are more talented, and also more experienced than CBJ and the 'Canes - yet both of those teams also knocked out more talented opponents on their ways to their meetings with the B's.

Playoff hockey is a demanding and grueling odyssey (couldn't think of a better word, sorry ) and it's not always the most talented teams that end up as the winners. The most talented teams in today's NHL are already on the sidelines.

To channel the great Don Cherry … if you want pretty skating, go see the Ice Capades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Playoff hockey is a demanding and grueling odyssey (couldn't think of a better word, sorry ).
                      Touche. That was a good one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Question: how is it that you think the B's got to the Finals? Do you think they were more talented than Toronto? (no) Do you think they finessed the 'Canes and CBJ out of the subsequent rounds? (not really) Sure, they were/are more talented, and also more experienced than CBJ and the 'Canes - yet both of those teams also knocked out more talented opponents on their ways to their meetings with the B's.

Playoff hockey is a demanding and grueling odyssey (couldn't think of a better word, sorry ) D
                        How about "quest"? As in "The Quest"?

Also, we now know that our Wildcats will be playing the Yukon Fuskies home and home at the end of January and the beginning of February.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 06-08-2019, 05:30 AM.

Comment

So Chuck....I don't notice (and doooo correct me if I'm wrong.) you don't mention Coach Berube's crying about penalties after game 3??? (see comments below) Bruce Cassidy is dead on when he says that 'after comments were made' (Berube) the tenor of the game (penalties called) as far as rough play without question changed after that...that's no excuse for the B's not being able to play well but, it's beyond obvious that even Captain Obvious is shaking his head...

Cassidy has every right to say that missed call was 'egregious'. Hey I get it...the Bruins should have put some distance in the first period when they outshot the Blues and seemed to have some good things going. I get it the PP and the 5 v 5 play is the difference, and the Blues 'style of play' has stymied the Bruins as it has other teams. Give them credit for that. I can do that, see? I'm not that much of a homer...however...

Oh wait...in doing a little (very little) digging here's how you explain / describe Coach Berube's commentary after the game:

In this series, Berube pointed out after Game 3 that his team was the least penalized team in the NHL playoffs this year (I'm assuming that's on a per game basis). There was no direct attack on the officials, but the point was made cleverly. He's gotten the desired impact over these last two games. Will it continue to carry forward? Break out that crystal ball again, please.

So, then, Coach B is 'clever' in his comments, yep he's clever all right and the NHL obviously listened. . nothing too clever about 'wah, we were the lowest penalized team in the league but now...' Give me a break. We get it Chuck...you don't like the Bruins. Newsflash: I don't like the Blues.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-08-2019, 08:42 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Newsflash - I have no dog in this fight. I'd WAY prefer to have DRW competing regularly deep into the playoffs, like they did for almost a generation's worth of excellence, until recently. I'm spoiled, and hopefully our new GM will bring a return to the glory days to Motown, just like he did as a player. My rooting interest for the Blues is primarily on the basis of their underdog status, and secondarily to provide a little bit of a counterpoint to the otherwise rampant yahoo homerism in these here parts.

I'm also a big fan of the NHL playoffs, which may be the most exciting all-out competition we get to see in pro sports in this part of the world. One of the main reasons it's so much fun to watch is EXACTLY because of the physical play and fierce emotions which get dredged up at this time of the year - both on AND off the ice. Where else do you get to see the word "hate" so frequently? The NBA Finals? Super Bowl?? World Series??? No, no and no. Flat out, it's fun, and isn't that what sports are supposed to be?

P.S. - has anyone seen our old pal Felger recently? Seems he's been away awhile ...

Comment

Felger probably playing golf. But, what about Jacques 'Rabbit' Poriveau?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Felger probably playing golf. But, what about Jacques 'Rabbit' Poriveau?
                                ...what about the grumpy guy who ever he was that was around this past year?? Maybe he has a 'dog in the fight' between the Bruins and the Blues haha
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X