Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I agree...big minutes for Brett Pesce but a hot Tuukka Rask is up to the task!! One more Bruins!!
    Tuukka's 35 saves included 14 from Canes' blueliners, along with the one that he let in. One SOG each for Pesce and Foegele. Hope that Tuukka does not get rusty with a likely long layoff.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      I agree...big minutes for Brett Pesce but a hot Tuukka Rask is up to the task!! One more Bruins!!
      I think your prediction of a sweep is going to be right on the money, 'Ref. And even if the 'Canes luck out a sneak out a victory to avoid the sweep, there's no way that tomorrow night's Game 4 won't be the last game of the season for the Raleigh faithful.

IF I were a B's fan … my only - ONLY - concern is that their 3 series up to this point have been getting easier and easier. We might all look back at the end of this and figure that the opening series against Toronto, and having to dig out of that hole, was their toughest challenge along the road to the Cup.

In the meantime, the St. Louis-San Jose series has been pretty compelling stuff so far. For you B's fans on here … who would you prefer to meet in the SCF? I think San Jose is the most talented team left still playing (including Boston), but I don't trust their goalie … whereas St. Louis reminds me a lot of a Western Conference version of the B's, with the heavy game, a few good snipers supplemented by a lot of bangers, an above-average defense, and a goalie who is playing out of his mind for the last several months to get them this far. I think that series goes at least six, and probably 7 games, while the B's will be done with the WhalerCanes by this weekend at the latest. I'm not sure that helps the B's.

Thoughts??
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I think your prediction of a sweep is going to be right on the money, 'Ref. And even if the 'Canes luck out a sneak out a victory to avoid the sweep, there's no way that tomorrow night's Game 4 won't be the last game of the season for the Raleigh faithful.

IF I were a B's fan … my only - ONLY - concern is that their 3 series up to this point have been getting easier and easier. We might all look back at the end of this and figure that the opening series against Toronto, and having to dig out of that hole, was their toughest challenge along the road to the Cup.

In the meantime, the St. Louis-San Jose series has been pretty compelling stuff so far. For you B's fans on here … who would you prefer to meet in the SCF? I think San Jose is the most talented team left still playing (including Boston), but I don't trust their goalie … whereas St. Louis reminds me a lot of a Western Conference version of the B's, with the heavy game, a few good snipers supplemented by a lot of bangers, an above-average defense, and a goalie who is playing out of his mind for the last several months to get them this far. I think that series goes at least six, and probably 7 games, while the B's will be done with the WhalerCanes by this weekend at the latest. I'm not sure that helps the B's.

Thoughts??
        I think that it would be fitting if Joe Thornton prevails over the B's for the LSC. :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Thoughts??
          Well, I don't know if that (sweep) will happen but I'm thinking the B's have more in the depth dept than the 'Canes do and at least for now, Rask has played very well which makes a ton of difference. That said I do think the B's have a good chance to finish them off (and it was a great run for the 'Canes this season...a fun team to watch and I loved how they embraced the "bunch of jerks" stuff.) Not to mention our UNH'ers out there; again, a shame TvR is not in the mix now; like Snively says...I think he makes a difference. So I won't cry any tears if/when the 'Canes bow out as long as it's sooner than later

The Blues scare me...haha.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The Manchester Monarchs are ceasing operations per the Union Leader Twitter account. It would officially be a good time to start winning...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              The Manchester Monarchs are ceasing operations per the Union Leader Twitter account. It would officially be a good time to start winning...
              … or our very own Alfred E. Scarano can just give this golden opportunity a good leaving alone ...

Comment

Well, I don't know if that (sweep) will happen but I'm thinking the B's have more in the depth dept than the 'Canes do and at least for now, Rask has played very well which makes a ton of difference. That said I do think the B's have a good chance to finish them off (and it was a great run for the 'Canes this season...a fun team to watch and I loved how they embraced the "bunch of jerks" stuff.) Not to mention our UNH'ers out there; again, a shame TvR is not in the mix now; like Snively says...I think he makes a difference. So I won't cry any tears if/when the 'Canes bow out as long as it's sooner than later

The Blues scare me...haha.
                Not sure what to make of the Blues after last night … sure, they got major-league screwed on the OT game-winner, but they also gave up a late lead when SJS scored late in regulation with their goalie pulled. They dug out of two 2-goal deficits, and should be up 2-1 on their home ice. Instead they are down 2-1. Until the final minute of last night's game, I thought they looked like the real deal. But the way they lost had to be painful. It will be interesting to see how they respond tomorrow.

Regardless, either SJS or SLB should give the B's their toughest battle since the TML series. If the Blues can rebound from what happened to them last night, that would be impressive. Or SJS wins instead, and closes it out in 5 games on home ice. Based on how the teams handled their post-game stuff, I suspect it'll be even-up at 2-2 going back to the coast for an epic best of three to earn the other SCF berth.

It still feels very much like it's the B's Cup to lose this year.

Comment

Mack hosting national champs for two the end of December; why cannot we host teams like dat?

Comment

OH MYYYYY.....We Want the Cup!!!! Like I said, Bruins in 4...
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Congrats to your B's, and most notably on your bold yet accurate 4-0 prediction!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Boy, was I off on this one. Thot it would go 6 or 7!!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          True. But whose fault is that? Only a moronic playoff system (something you have been vocal about regarding Hockey East. ) which pits the #2 and #3 seeds against each other in the FIRST round because of some stupid “division” (as opposed to conference) “significance”. As a result there were what (and I’m not going back to the standings to check) - three wild card teams still left recently? They can olny play the teams they’re told to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Congrats to your B's, and most notably on your bold yet accurate 4-0 prediction!
                            Well I knew I was making a bold statement there...glad for once I had it right. Not so sure on the SCF but, we'll take it one game at a time. Bring it Bruins!!! Very proud of our UNH South crew and hope their success continues...
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Understood. I've said since after the first round that it looked like this was the B's Cup to win. I will say, the San Jose-St. Louis series has been far more compelling competitively from the outset. Whomever emerges from that war is likely to give the B's their biggest challenge since the Toronto series. And if they can nick a game in Boston due to the B's being rusty, it could turn into an interesting Final, against the grain of a kind of blah/meh playoff season to date.

As far as divisions or conferences … I'm not sure that's the big issue, chickod. I remember when DRW were in the midst of their run in the late '90's/early '00's, and it would often turn out that there would be one or even two series in the Western Conference that would be more challenging than whomever emerged from the East. Back then, the Wings, Avs, and pretty decent Stars and Blues teams always seemed to be potential obstacles. And the Wings-Avs thing was something that the NHL hasn't seen since the strike. Facing the Flyers, Caps and 'Canes of that era in the SCF was almost an afterthought.

It was a lopsidedly strong West in those days, with really only the Devils who were a constant Eastern threat, but with the rise of Pittsburgh, Washington, the B's, TB and a couple others … and the fall of Chicago and the LA Kings more recently (plus the Avs falling off a cliff, and DRW doing the same in a new conference) I think the NHL tilts slightly to the East these days. And if the Wings (or Avs) could step through those all-out wars to take care of a weak SCF opponent from the East back then, there's no reason the B's can't overcome a few extra days off to overcome a solid/strong but hardly dominant Western team this year.

Still rooting for St. Louis as the last Cup-less franchise from the first wave of expansion, but suspect it will be SJS facing the B's in the end, and the B's prevailing in either 6 or 7 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                True. But whose fault is that? Only a moronic playoff system (something you have been vocal about regarding Hockey East. ) which pits the #2 and #3 seeds against each other in the FIRST round because of some stupid “division” (as opposed to conference) “significance”. As a result there were what (and I’m not going back to the standings to check) - three wild card teams still left recently? They can olny play the teams they’re told to play.
                                Do you remember the 2 seasons when the NHL had straight 1-16 seeding and reseeded after every round?

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X