Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Correct - his pops sent me a pic of him signing Wednesday. I told him I wish he was coming next year.
    ...just think tho...Will Margel AND Tim Stutzle coming in together!! WooT.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Welp...we got another Regional in 2021...come on 'Cats this is the one!! This has to be motivating...!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I believe that was also the season of the much-vaunted "senior checking/first line".

Lots of weird things going on with the program in the final few years of the Umile Era. Probably the first thing WF encountered during his all-too-brief stay in Durham was the starting goalie getting arrested and then kicked off the team. By the time next Fall came around, and he's scrapping for ice time behind the likes of Correale/Gaudreault/MacDonald, Looking at it in retrospect from his perspective, it had to look like a total clown show, and looking at what he's done since, he can't have any second thoughts.

I'm still waiting for the purported journalists out there to uncover the whole BvR thing … I gave up long ago hoping someone would have the intestinal fortitude to get to the bottom of Foegele's fall-out with DU. These days, WF plays like a guy that the old UNH teams at the turn of the century really could have used. Strong skater, two-way game, big compete level … what's not to like?
        I did not have a problem with Correale riding the right wing with Pots and TyK on the first line. But, I agree that the senior checking line of MacDonald, Smith, and Gaudreault, which began several games as the first line during the first semester, was an embarrassment. Then, MacDonald suffered his season- and career-ending injury, after 19 games played. IIRC, Foegele spent all but 5 games sitting in the stands during the first semester, behind Eiserman, Vela, Nazarian, Salvaggio, McNicholas, Hill, and Miller, along with the seniors checking line. Of those 10, only Gaudreault notched double digit goals, 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Apparently he also hit TJ Oshie from behind in game 4 last night, knocking TJ out of the next few games; have not heard if Foegele will be facing disciplinary action from the NHL.
          I actually didn't think the hit was that bad. It was from behind, but Oshie braced with his wrists and hit the boards funny. Hopefully he doesn't see supplemental punishment.

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
            I actually didn't think the hit was that bad. It was from behind, but Oshie braced with his wrists and hit the boards funny. Hopefully he doesn't see supplemental punishment.
            Either way, Whale may go deeper in this postseason than B's.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Either way, Whale may go deeper in this postseason than B's.
              I have no doubt that's true. I've resigned myself to it.
              Rooting for good series here on out - (hoping for Sharks, Jets, 'Canes, and Avs to all win their series right now (and Isles going forward)); hoping for good games in the Stars/Preds series and hoping Torts loses in the next round.

Comment

Foegele was not in the stands as far as I remember Snively. He played in 34 games as a freshmen and spent time with Kelleher and Potarulski on the second line as Kelleher was a sophomore and Pots and Foegele were freshmen. Downing and Willows were on the first line and Thrush and Correale spent time with them and others.

Umile loved Foegele and he wanted him on the first line eventually and Warren did play on the fourth line for one game against Union and he left the following week for Juniors as he wanted to be near his girlfriend and he was 19 years old when he left. Most of our players come in at 20 and he was a good kid and a good student.

He played his heart out on every shift and was one of the hardest working players and students we had in that era. He just wanted to be near home as he was not a booze bag and most of the other players hung out with their friends from juniors or those with similar backgrounds. Pots was probably 21 when he came to UNH and left after his sophomore year.

We all wish he had stayed but I am sure he thought it through and he made a good choice as he is a solid NHL player and will likely get even better over time.

Comment

In other news ... the red & white banners are flying high at the WIS Estate, as The Legend returns!

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ng/3521479002/

#19 returns to DRW, on the 19th day of April in 2019.

Almost makes me feel like I'm 19 yrs. old again …
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Foegele played the exhibition and the first five games of the year before leaving - all on the third or fourth lines and with NO power-play time. His line mates were as follows...

SFX: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
                    AIC: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
                    SLU: Vela - Hill (3rd)
                    CLK: Nazarian - Hill (4th)
                    UM; Nazarian - Miller (3rd)
                    UC: Nazarian - Miller (3rd)

The top-six and PP forwards for all six games were as follows...

MacDonald - Smith - Gaudreault
                    Correale - Poturalski - Kelleher

It was quite clear at the time, and even more so in hindsight that the top-six and PP was badly misconstructed. Foegele immediately tore up the OHL and a few rarely used forwards turned out big JR seasons when they finally got a chance. A non-seniority play a la the lines below would have better served the team and if Foegele is playing in the top-six, on the PP and really getting a chance to develop he probably is far more willing to make his long distance relationship work...

Foegele - McNicholas - Gaudreault
                    Salvaggio - Vela - Nazarian
                    Hill - Smith - Eiserman
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Foegele played the exhibition and the first five games of the year before leaving - all on the third or fourth lines and with NO power-play time. His line mates were as follows...

SFX: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
                      AIC: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
                      SLU: Vela - Hill (3rd)
                      CLK: Nazarian - Hill (4th)
                      UM; Nazarian - Miller (3rd)
                      UC: Nazarian - Miller (3rd)

The top-six and PP forwards for all six games were as follows...

MacDonald - Smith - Gaudreault

It was quite clear at the time, and even more so in hindsight that the top-six and PP was badly misconstructed. Foegele immediately tore up the OHL and a few rarely used forwards turned out big JR seasons when they finally got a chance. A non-seniority play a la the lines below would have better served the team and if Foegele is playing in the top-six, on the PP and really getting a chance to develop he probably is far more willing to make his long distance relationship work...

Foegele - McNicholas - Gaudreault
                      Salvaggio - Vela - Nazarian
                      Hill - Smith - Eiserman
                      This is what I remember, but did not realize he left before the end of the semester. Makes sense, as why would he sit in the stands for the remainder of the semester. I think that 32 misunderstood that I was referencing the beginning of his sophomore season, not his freshman ear, which I thought showed great promise, and should have made him worthy of a top six line mate.

Water over the proverbial dam now, as freshmen and sophomores are getting shots on the top two lines under the new regime.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 04-21-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

To kick off my teacher vacation heading to Providence to watch the PBruins v Checkers!! Will be the second time we've seen Pots play professionally. First time to the DDC. (And here's hoping those other Bruins find another gear tomorrow!) Happy Easter!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          To kick off my teacher vacation heading to Providence to watch the PBruins v Checkers!! Will be the second time we've seen Pots play professionally. First time to the DDC. (And here's hoping those other Bruins find another gear tomorrow!) Happy Easter!
                          Pots 2 first period assists in Checkers 5-4 win?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Pots 2 first period assists in Checkers 5-4 win?
                            Pots gets a PP goal Checkers down 2-1. And they just scored again to tie it up.
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-21-2019, 05:29 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Pots gets a PP goal Checkers down 2-1. And they just scored again to tie it up.
                              Other three ex-UNHers on parent Whale club shut out 6-0 last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Other three ex-UNHers on parent Whale club shut out 6-0 last night.
                                Little Whales lose 4-2 massive fight breaks out in the end Pots was the only Captain left had to go out and get all the sticks and gloves left behind. Was fun to recognize all the PB’ers who have played with the B’s this season as well as watching Pots..
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X