Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Remember that time in October 2015 when we hosted the Yellow Jackets (buzzzzz!) in our opener and beat them soundly 7-3? The Yellow Jackets were 7-29-3 that season, so maybe there is hope yet for UNH?
    Talking to a few of the players as they were walking out being at these games tonight def gave them something to shoot for!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Well, UNH is the regional host, right? DU = Dick? No signs of MS7? Or, BvR?
      Saw Marty and Umile but not Souza, although my guess is that he was there since UNH was the host. Btw, the attendance was abysmal. They closed off the balcony and the lower bowl was still less than half full. Another example of college hockey losing its grip.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Saw Marty and Umile but not Souza, although my guess is that he was there since UNH was the host. Btw, the attendance was abysmal. They closed off the balcony and the lower bowl was still less than half full. Another example of college hockey losing its grip.
        I say this every year (not that the NCAA cares). You can't drive to the West Regionals, which means you can play them on Friday. The East Regionals are within driving distance of a huge population area. Games in the East should be on the weekend, because we can drive there Saturday morning and again on Sunday. In the West you have to stay in a hotel anyway so what difference does it make if you have it on Friday?

With no "close" team there (because Harvard brings no fans anyway so they're basically a non-entity), who is going to go to Manchester at rush hour on a Friday? It just makes no sense. UMass is two hours away. The fans aren't going to give up their entire Friday and then come back the next day. If you do Sat/Sun you will get much bigger crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
          I say this every year (not that the NCAA cares). You can't drive to the West Regionals, which means you can play them on Friday. The East Regionals are within driving distance of a huge population area. Games in the East should be on the weekend, because we can drive there Saturday morning and again on Sunday. In the West you have to stay in a hotel anyway so what difference does it make if you have it on Friday?

With no "close" team there (because Harvard brings no fans anyway so they're basically a non-entity), who is going to go to Manchester at rush hour on a Friday? It just makes no sense. UMass is two hours away. The fans aren't going to give up their entire Friday and then come back the next day. If you do Sat/Sun you will get much bigger crowds.
          Students have very flexible schedules, especially on Fridays. There were hardly any students there for not only UMass but the other schools as all. Whatever fans of the four schools that were there were mostly alums or, in the case of Notre Dame, “subway alumni.” It’s getting to the point that the regionals should be strictly based on playing at campus sites or have one super regional each for east and west. The hockey is still good but it is depressing to go to a less than half full arena where hardly anyone is cheering. The players deserve better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Students have very flexible schedules, especially on Fridays. There were hardly any students there for not only UMass but the other schools as all. Whatever fans of the four schools that were there were mostly alums or, in the case of Notre Dame, “subway alumni.” It’s getting to the point that the regionals should be strictly based on playing at campus sites or have one super regional each for east and west. The hockey is still good but it is depressing to go to a less than half full arena where hardly anyone is cheering. The players deserve better.
            Yes. I agree. Which is why I was trying to mitigate the situation by at least appealing to common sense. But alas, it’s the NCAA.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Worst Manch regional ever. Partly the teams, partly the timing, partly the fact that SNHU-rena is cutting costs to make up for the Monarchs AHL > ECHL revenue loss.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Worst Manch regional ever. Partly the teams, partly the timing, partly the fact that SNHU-rena is cutting costs to make up for the Monarchs AHL > ECHL revenue loss.
                ….and, I'd add...partly 'coz the 'Cats weren't in it. Besides that, I've been to only 3 but I'd agree. Last one I'm going to unless UNH is there.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  A bit tougher now for UMass. I thought Clarkson was slow so UMass most likely would have skated circles around them. ND? Not so much....assuming they have enough left in the tank.
                  I'd have to agree with this assessment of the Golden Knights (noticed their fans called them 'tech' if I have that right...lots of engineers!) but thought ND was lucky to get out of that one until they woke up. Wasn't real impressed with them but hey they are moving on. Thinking it will be as you say, a better game match up tonight, but I'm thinking that if UMass brings their A game, they are 'shuffling off to Buffalo".
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-30-2019, 09:19 AM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Remember that time in October 2015 when we hosted the Yellow Jackets (buzzzzz!) in our opener and beat them soundly 7-3? The Yellow Jackets were 7-29-3 that season, so maybe there is hope yet for UNH?
                    ….talked to a couple of players and they are very motivated to get back to these games...like I said, it was good for them to be there. Mostly the sophs and a couple of freshmen, but, that's the future of this team. Heck, if AIC can do it.....
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Picking who to root for between the MinuteWagon and NICC is a tough ask ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        So Chuck UNH has a commitment from a player in your neck of the woods Cy Leclerc (Brentwood) just announced today..
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-30-2019, 11:06 AM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          So Chuck UNH has a commitment from a player in your neck of the woods Cy Leclerc (Brentwood) just announced today..
                          Looks like he's truly had a breakout season this year. Also looks to have hit a huge growth spurt over the last year or two. I think he plays with his brother (Chase?) at Seacoast Spartans. Interesting ...

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/pla...leclerc-38573/

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Surely you jest? Not like having to choose between NICC and the Chestnut Hillbillies.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Surely you jest? Not like having to choose between NICC and the Chestnut Hillbillies.
                              Fair enough. NICC strikes me as a more talented BC. Key will be, did UMass learn from the BC loss?

... and please don't call me Surely ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                ….and, I'd add...partly 'coz the 'Cats weren't in it. Besides that, I've been to only 3 but I'd agree. Last one I'm going to unless UNH is there.
                                For sure. UNH being there would offset everything negative. I will go every time we host, but with a different plan. If I understand the revenue distribution correctly, the 'cats better get in again soon or hosting may not generate $$$ for the U. There should be a rule that we don't have to suffer the Irish anymore. I wish we had the teams that are playing in Providence this year.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X