Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    I think most programs get their players on campus in the summer now for workouts and to take a few courses. So an undergrad degree in three years maybe pretty common. I guess that would explain the increase in these grad transfers we're seeing.

I was over at Merrimack for their senior night two years ago and several of their players were leaving with Masters degrees.
    I'm sure that motivated players like BVR who spent two years in junior hockey take some classes during that down time that give them plenty of credicts before they enroll, so 3 years with summer school makes it very doable.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Agosta was the last one to finish his undergrad at end of junior year (3 years hockey, 4 years college) and he used the grad exception. BVR will likely have his undergrad studies by mid-summer at latest as he likely had 2 classes per semester when he was at the Islanders Hockey Club. If he leaves, I wish him the best and I am grateful to the Van Reimsdyk family for their commitment to UNH. I am sure he will do well in a graduate school with a Masters in Finance degree. It could be Ivy or other top graduate schools that may be a good fit for Brendan.

I hope he stays but if he is leaving for educational opportunities and will still play Division 1 hockey it is a big win for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        This portal thing is interesting. How many folks put their name in there and end up back at their old school? You'd have to think voluntarily putting your name on there is burning your current bridge no? If I'm a coach and I see my player doing this, you can be sure I'd view that as less than 100% commitment to the program and would strongly consider having your locker cleaned out and left in a cardboard box for you to come pick up.
        Might be a slightly harsh-sounding take, but I can't say that I disagree. Not saying that players don't have a right to explore their options if they're unhappy with their current situation ... but it's a two-way street. MS7 will know how he left things with the player, so he probably won't be surprised to see this, and this could very well be a mutual decision based on how things ended over the last couple of weeks. MS7 could even have suggested it himself. IF MS7 is surprised to see it, then yeah, the player likely has burned that bridge.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        That is true - that was very curious. Kudos to Souza for recognizing that mistake and making the necessary adjustment (when some long-time coaches may not have). Both certainly proved they belonged in the top-six for last year's UNH team, but its also possible that the lack of scoring down the stretch led to some interesting discussions in exit interviews about player's roles and UNH's plans for summer recruiting...
        Agree here as well. I'm not sure who said something in the last 24 hours about how this was a "breakout" year for BvR, but it made me go back and look … yeah, he doubled his goal scoring output, but overall his production doesn't look all that different this year from the first two years. He certainly hasn't even come close to being the impact player his older brothers were (and yes, that's me with a compliment to JvR, don't faint ), and it seems unlikely he'll be the 3rd brother to make it to The Show. Which may further support the theory that he's weighing grad school options for a off-ice career (which would make sense, and would earn my respect).

BvR was the 8th top scorer on an 8th place HE team. If he stays, maybe he projects to be the 4th or 5th top scorer on a 4th or 5th place team? The idea that he's going to go to another program where he's going to walk into being a top 6 player … I'm not sure that's even close to being a lock (which I think you agree with, Dan?). So if his issue was ice time or role … I'm not sure he's going to do better than UNH next year. If he wants to finish with a winner, he'll go to NU, but he'll be facing an uphill battle to get onto the top two lines.

What he decides to do in the end will probably tell the tale about why he's in the portal to begin with.

If MS7 gave him a slight push, in hopes of doing better, you won't hear me criticizing him for it ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          Agosta was the last one to finish his undergrad at end of junior year (3 years hockey, 4 years college) and he used the grad exception. BVR will likely have his undergrad studies by mid-summer at latest as he likely had 2 classes per semester when he was at the Islanders Hockey Club. If he leaves, I wish him the best and I am grateful to the Van Reimsdyk family for their commitment to UNH. I am sure he will do well in a graduate school with a Masters in Finance degree. It could be Ivy or other top graduate schools that may be a good fit for Brendan.

I hope he stays but if he is leaving for educational opportunities and will still play Division 1 hockey it is a big win for him.
          And in the end that’s what ultimately matters most is what’s best for the player...
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-29-2019, 02:32 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Boston University adds one graduate transfer (according to Mark Divver) in Brown's Alex Brink. The third year in a row they've added a grad student and the second-straight with one from Brown. It would not surprise me to see them go further in trying to add experience to what will be another young stable of propects next season...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Quite a few UNH players here (Max in a sling)! saw DU in the UNH box. UMass looked very dominant and Clarkson shows ND why they’re here...
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-29-2019, 06:43 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Quite a few UNH players here saw DU in the UNH box. UMass looked very dominant and Clarkson shows ND why they’re here...
                Well, UNH is the regional host, right? DU = Dick? No signs of MS7? Or, BvR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Well, UNH is the regional host, right? DU = Dick? No signs of MS7? Or, BvR?
                  Well yeah! It’s good for them to be here . Yes Dick Umile. No haven’t seen MS or BvR
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Or, BS35+8?

What are the chances of Massy Wassy and the Yellow Jackets (buzzzzz!) meeting in the FF?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Or, BS35+8?

What are the chances of Massy Wassy and the Yellow Jackets (buzzzzz!) meeting in the FF?
                      A bit tougher now for UMass. I thought Clarkson was slow so UMass most likely would have skated circles around them. ND? Not so much....assuming they have enough left in the tank.

Comment

• St Cloud has won 55 games the past two seasons (averaging nearly four goals per game) - but has lost two-straight 1x16 match-ups in NCAA Tournament openers, putting up just a single tally each time. THAT is what choking looks like...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

BZZZZZZZZ!!!!

St. Cloud State just got STUNG by li'l AIC 2-1!!!!
                          UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            St Cloud has won 55 games the past two seasons - but has lost two-straight 1x16 match-ups in NCAA Tournament openers. THAT is what choking looks like...
                            Yup....always a bridesmaid, never a bride. That has a very familiar ring to it......
                            UNH

Comment

Beads?
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Remember that time in October 2015 when we hosted the Yellow Jackets (buzzzzz!) in our opener and beat them soundly 7-3? The Yellow Jackets were 7-29-3 that season, so maybe there is hope yet for UNH?

Comment

Working...
                                X