Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Divver's initial tweet said grad transfer, eligible immediately. I don't know that to be true, but it would make the most sense in terms of instigating and exploring of options...

If he spent a couple summers in Durham it would be pretty easy to graduate in three years...

In HE I'd worry about BC or BU offering looking for experience to combine with their young talent. UMass took a grad transfer this season (Pritchard) with great success. Northeastern is always aggressive...

Barring early departures at PC they seem overbooked. It seems out of character (to short-term) for UML.
    I can personally vouch for the fact that "getting the undergrad degree in 3 years" scenario at UNH is pretty workable. As Dan says, just a few courses here and there on top of a full course load during the main semesters. One of the two people I know who went down this path got their Masters in Year Four. I don't doubt this 3 year plan would be within BvR's reach if he's been planning for it for awhile.

My money is on Northeastern as the most likely HE departure destination.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
      "A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy."
      Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Ha! As my Realtor wife will tell you, one can only dream that is the case...
      Ned nailed it. Doesn't mean he'll jump for the first option - or any option - but he's not there by accident.

Too bad the local media doesn't really cover UNH Hockey any more, 'cuz this could be a fascinating story ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Of course, we are all in speculation mode...but, just a thought...if this were to come to fruition, what do you think the time table is? How soon would we know his intentions/landing spot? And, while this may seem ludicrous, whether or not he just wants to play on a team that's 'winning' may not be his prime motivation for wanting to move. Who knows...No matter what, hope he finds what he's looking for if it isn't a return to the 'Cats.
        Of course its all speculation - but I would think the most likely reason would be looking for the best opportunity to compete for championships (which his brothers were able to do at UNH, but he has not). I also think the most likely teams to be interested in him would be teams that believe they're in a position to compete and are looking for depth, experience and a well-rounded player who can chip in some goals and kill penalties at a high-level. NU took Plevy last season. UMass took Pritchard. BU has had a couple grad transfers in a row. BVR would be a nice add to a competitive team...

Still, it certainly could be any number of reasons. Maybe he is looking for a specific grad program. Perhaps he wants to find the best scenario to set himself up for a professional career. He might be unsure of his top-six role at UNH moving forward with the staff out looking for forwards for next season. He may want to be closer to someone or something. It could be a lot of things, no doubt about that. I enjoy considering the options, but we'll really have to wait until a decision is made to try to understand the motives for looking around...

More speculation - but to answer your question, I'd imagine a decision waits until after the Tournament, but happens not long after. Of course, he could change course and stay at UNH - but I think the odds are in his favor for leaving as the biggest step towards leaving is taking the first action to enter the portal and discuss new options. Its only more likely he'd get excited about outside opportunities when able to discuss them with those coaching staffs. I'd keep an eye on things at BU, UMass, NU, Ohio State and Minnesota if I was a betting man...
        Last edited by Dan; 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

With GIldon back here was how I would have projected UNH's current line-up...

Crookshank - Pierson - Kelleher
          BVR - Blackburn - Grasso
          Stevenson - Engaras - Fregona
          Esposito - Sacco - MacAdams
          Sato - Cipollone - (Sweeney)

Wyse - Gildon
          Eriksson - Maass
          Dawson - Verrier
          McElhaney - Hickey

Robinson
          Taylor
          Lazzaro
          Assuming BVR leaves, that leaves a real void in the top-six down the left-wing. Even BVR is not the perfect candidate to fill that role - though I imagine as a SR he could certainly fill that role well enough, he is still more of a secondary scoring option who can defend and PK at a very high level than a pure top-six type on a tournament-level team. UNH needed a late grab at forward already (IMO) and now they really need one - maybe (hopefully) two. The following would be ideal and offer a fringe/potential tournament team, IMO (plug in BVR for one of the new F's should he remain)...

Crookshank - Pierson - Kelleher
          [Budy] - Blackburn - Grasso
          [Macceli] - Engaras - Fregona
          Esposito - Stevenson - MacAdams
          Sacco/Cipollone
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
            Could be the Van Riemsdyks are unaware UNH offers a four year program. JVR 2 and TvR 3 would not have alerted him to that, and that's a powerful family tradition to uphold.
            I know early in the year it was a head scratcher as he and Blackburn were put on the fourth line behind guys like Cefalu and Sacco who couldnt score if their life depended on it. While not the whole Foegele experience, it may be that Souza is more inclided towards guys who can skate but not score, rather guys who can score but not skate.
            That is true - that was very curious. Kudos to Souza for recognizing that mistake and making the necessary adjustment (when some long-time coaches may not have). Both certainly proved they belonged in the top-six for last year's UNH team, but its also possible that the lack of scoring down the stretch led to some interesting discussions in exit interviews about player's roles and UNH's plans for summer recruiting...
            Last edited by Dan; 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

This portal thing is interesting. How many folks put their name in there and end up back at their old school? You'd have to think voluntarily putting your name on there is burning your current bridge no? If I'm a coach and I see my player doing this, you can be sure I'd view that as less than 100% commitment to the program and would strongly consider having your locker cleaned out and left in a cardboard box for you to come pick up.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

That is true - that was very curious. Kudos to Souza for recognizing that mistake and making the necessary adjustment (when some long-time coaches may not have). Both certainly proved they belonged in the top-six for last year's UNH team, but its also possible that the lack of scoring down the stretch led to some interesting discussions in exit interviews about player's roles and UNH's plans for summer recruiting...
                And I'm not intending to make a snark because I'm not sure BVR is a top two line guy, so having him bounce between third and fourth line might not have been wrong while trying out lineups early in the season. I'm not that concerned on a bigger "message" level, as his value could be replaced if UNH does manage to get recruits for next year. That remains a wildcard, with four or five spots open and only Stevenson and Eriksson locked in. If they manage to get overseas kids like Engaras to supplement, then him leaving "early" is no biggie. But if there are holes in the class, forcing more playing time for the bottom 8 forwards, then its a big problem.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  And I'm not intending to make a snark because I'm not sure BVR is a top two line guy, so having him bounce between third and fourth line might not have been wrong while trying out lineups early in the season. I'm not that concerned on a bigger "message" level, as his value could be replaced if UNH does manage to get recruits for next year. That remains a wildcard, with four or five spots open and only Stevenson and Eriksson locked in. If they manage to get overseas kids like Engaras to supplement, then him leaving "early" is no biggie. But if there are holes in the class, forcing more playing time for the bottom 8 forwards, then its a big problem.
                  I would agree completely moving forward. I was surprised at the decision with the team they had last season, however.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    This portal thing is interesting. How many folks put their name in there and end up back at their old school? You'd have to think voluntarily putting your name on there is burning your current bridge no? If I'm a coach and I see my player doing this, you can be sure I'd view that as less than 100% commitment to the program and would strongly consider having your locker cleaned out and left in a cardboard box for you to come pick up.
                    Its a strange situation as the portal was developed so that kids could transfer without needing their coach's permission and explore the option WITHOUT burning bridges - but when all the names are made public immediately (as has turned out to be the case) it seems to defeat the purpose. If one is set on going, its not really a big deal. If one is uncertain, the purported benefit for the player doesn't seem to really exist...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

So there are 11 players on this list, all from HEA? No transfers from ECAC, B10, NCHC, etc.? Me thinks the list is incomplete or not up to date. Perhaps not all players are aware of it? Maybe BvR added his name as the season began to have an option he then decided he no longer needs?
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Its a strange situation as the portal was developed so that kids could transfer without needing their coach's permission and explore the option WITHOUT burning bridges - but when all the names are made public immediately (as has turned out to be the case) it seems to defeat the purpose. If one is set on going, its not really a big deal. If one is uncertain, the purported benefit for the player doesn't seem to really exist...
                        One would think it would have been naive for anyone to assume that the information wouldn't have become public. Everything else is...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          So there are 11 players on this list, all from HEA? No transfers from ECAC, B10, NCHC, etc.? Me thinks the list is incomplete or not up to date. Perhaps not all players are aware of it? Maybe BvR added his name as the season began to have an option he then decided he no longer needs?
                          Its certainly incomplete. McMahon was only reporting on the HE names (likely out of curiosity for where all the cut MC players will land). Divver reported that Colorado College forward Weston Michaud is also in the portal looking to transfer (but hoping to remain in the NCHC). There are undoubtedly other names from other conferences...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            One would think it would have been naive for anyone to assume that the information wouldn't have become public. Everything else is...
                            Especially in the age of ANTI-social media!! Like myface and kinkedin!!
                            Last edited by e.cat; 03-29-2019, 10:57 AM.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I can personally vouch for the fact that "getting the undergrad degree in 3 years" scenario at UNH is pretty workable. As Dan says, just a few courses here and there on top of a full course load during the main semesters. One of the two people I know who went down this path got their Masters in Year Four. I don't doubt this 3 year plan would be within BvR's reach if he's been planning for it for awhile.

My money is on Northeastern as the most likely HE departure destination.
                              I think most programs get their players on campus in the summer now for workouts and to take a few courses. So an undergrad degree in three years maybe pretty common. I guess that would explain the increase in these grad transfers we're seeing.

I was over at Merrimack for their senior night two years ago and several of their players were leaving with Masters degrees.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X