Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
    Chuck, you started out like a ball of fire for the commissioners job. It seems like a month vacation to work it out with the family might be in order. We might want to reevaluate your allowing fighting in college hockey. You had us at hello, and I am thinking the fighting would be the deal breaker. The NCAA might be a minor problem as they are not keen to allow fighting. They have Junior Hockey for that and UNH would surely vote against fighting. You made many strong points and keep up the new ideas.
    Yeah, there were a few sarcastic additions to the platform for my "candidacy", easy to pick those out.

And to think, I didn't even get to my usual stand-bys, like raising the crossbar and restricting the balloon-ish goalie gear to a more reasonable amount. Maybe I'm simply not cut out for this job … … but thanks for the encouragement, '32. Hope you're enjoying your summer as well!!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Underperforming on the ice? Heck yes. Underperforming revenue-wise, compared with the rest of the league? Doubtful. Part of the reason JB is heading off to earlier-than-planned retirement probably has a lot to do with the fact that programs like UNH and UMaine aren't around regularly any more to prop up the attendance (and revenue) derived from the HE Tourney.

Oh … and that "Schools That Don't Fit" part, you'll notice that my 3 candidates for immediate exile have compiled the grand total of zero (0) HE Tourney or RS titles between them. combined. Ditto UMass Amherst, until last season. God knows I'd prefer to have kept UVM for the scenery, and I've lambasted and ridiculed UMA for years, but there are standards here that need to be upheld.

Another less-controversial approach than #13 to better position HE to maximize league tourney revenue is …

(14) Split the Eight Team League into Two Divisions

Patriarca Division

Providence
      BC
      BU
      Northeastern

Bulger Division

UMass Lowell
      UMass Amherst
      UMaine
      UNH

Regular season - play 4 games against divisional foes, and 3 games against the other division. 24 games.

Post-season - as with the NHL, playoffs come through the divisions first - at least to get to the TD Garden. Quarterfinals would be best of three, with all games at the higher seed's rink. Higher seed (again) is NOT based on results, but rather home attendance. Too many games in too short a time? Ties go to the home team as a win. Again, putting the emphasis on the revenue piece.

Semifinals and Finals - semifinal games continue to be within the division. Hence, if UNH and UMaine advance, they would play each other, ensuring healthy attendance for the Finals. Ditto in the Patriarca Division, with the caveat that Providence cannot be allowed to advance to Boston. But the Hockey East league HQ would need to relocate to Providence. Hence, Providence would siphon off a chunk of the revenue generated in Boston. Befitting the namesake of this Division.

The Lamoriello Trophy still goes to the winner of the Finals, but that game would follow after the newly-minted Bertagna Cup, to be awarded to the winner of the reinstated Consolation Game between the losers of the semifinals. All the more reason to give the traveling fans a reason to make a weekend of it in Boston, and boost the arena's revenues further. If the Bertagna Cup ends regulation in a tie, then instead of pushing the Finals off schedule, the two consolation contestants would immediately drop the gloves in a line brawl, to be officiated by a blue ribbon panel including Derek Sanderson, Stan Jonathan and John Wensink.

Hasn't been much feedback lately, so hopefully my write-in campaign for HE Commish is still alive …
      Lot of great ideas here. :-)

But, I say keep UVM, Yukon, and Mac, and add Bentley, with the first two part of the Bulger Division and the latter two part of the Patriarcha Division. Then, play teams in one's own division three times and teams in the other division two times, for a total of 25 conference games. Need to keep some cupcakes in HEA, as in "If you cannot beat the cupcakes, then YOU are the cupcake." HEA playoffs can be adjusted accordingly, and give each division's top two regular HEA season teams a bye in the first round.
      Last edited by Snively65; 08-10-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Yeah, there were a few sarcastic additions to the platform for my "candidacy", easy to pick those out.

And to think, I didn't even get to my usual stand-bys, like raising the crossbar and restricting the balloon-ish goalie gear to a more reasonable amount. Maybe I'm simply not cut out for this job … … but thanks for the encouragement, '32. Hope you're enjoying your summer as well!!
        You are so amazing.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          You are so amazing.
          It's a tough burden to carry around sometimes, BlackI … but someone's got to do it.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

https://youtu.be/x0SSx3Juyns
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Welp its official
              https://www.nuhuskies.com/news/2019/...n-2019-20.aspx
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Mad Again says that BvR will play as a top six forward and on special teams, but does not distinguish between PP and PK. Definitely a move up for him, I think. Best wishes to BvR, just not in games against us.

Comment

Dan, if you’re out there, do you know a rising senior at Shattuck St mary’s named Michael Hong? Sounds like he is looking at east coast schools (including a trip to durham in a couple weeks). Been working with his dad on some stuff and he mentioned that Michael is making the trip. Likely a 2021 or 2022 entry
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Oh, and The Bachelorette? Yikes. 😆

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Dan, if you’re out there, do you know a rising senior at Shattuck St mary’s named Michael Hong? Sounds like he is looking at east coast schools (including a trip to durham in a couple weeks). Been working with his dad on some stuff and he mentioned that Michael is making the trip. Likely a 2021 or 2022 entry
                      Nikolas "Nik" Hong (DOB: 8/27/02), a forward with the Shattuck St. Mary's U16 last season, scored 5 goals and 15 assists in 55 games. He is currently rated as a 3 Star Prospect (out of 5 stars) by Neutral Zone. His team qualified for the U16 USA Hockey Nationals last spring but did not advance to the quarterfinals. Here's the NZ scouting report on his performance at Nationals:
                      C+ Grade - "Hong is a good-sized, physical forward with a strong net front presence and willingness to lower his shoulder and drive the net. He doesn’t try to be something he’s not, he knows his role, plays to his strengths and doesn’t give up on the play."

Here's a self profile written by Nikolas Hong:
                      https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-ice-...s/nikolas-hong
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                        DC - assuming you do in fact mean Nik Hong as CHC alluded below. I don’t know much about him, but he played on the SSM U16 team last season and would probably move up to the prep team this season.

A few kids have already committed off the U16 team. Hong wasnt much of a scorer last season, but fared better the year before with the Midget team. He would probably play for the prep team next year??

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/10705/shattuck-st.-mary-s-u16/2018-2019?tab=stats

His personal page lists him as born (and a citizen of) Russia, of all places, but Shattuck lists his hometown as Minneapolis - which I assume is how you know the family.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/470027/nikolas-hong

At one point I’m his first two years at SSM he would have played for Christian Bragnalo - Souza’s old UNH teammate of three seasons...

Hong has also been a teammate of UNH legacy Scott Morrow at SSM who’s college interests I’d love to know!
                        Last edited by Dan; 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          From Nik Hong's personal profile:

"My experiences living and playing hockey have uniquely shaped me as a person and taught me the value of teamwork, leadership, commitment and perseverance - first, in Moscow Russia, where I played for six years as the only American (and non-Russian) in the Moscow Youth Hockey league from the entire 2002 birth year to now playing at an elite level with Shattuck-St. Mary’s. When I first moved to Moscow at age eight I was committed to continue to play hockey but I didn’t speak a word of Russian."
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, Nik. We’d been talking about a Michael this morning in our meeting and I conflated the two.

Thanks for the info. His dad saw the UNH jersey on my wall (old school block letters!!) and made the connection. Was cool to hear of his interest!

Comment

Saw that the finished ice is down on a twitter post today; I know they put ads along the boards but on the ice? 2 big 'Eversource' and Bud Light (beer of KINGS Snively65 ) at Center Ice? I guess I don't remember that...? Anyway...getting close gang!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

One irony with the Eversource logos on the Lake Whitt ice is that the NH Supreme Court just ended probably permanently Eversource's quest (oops, dat word again) to build their Northern Pass tall tower electrical lines from Quebec through New Hampshire and its White Mountains.

Bud Lite: beer of kings? Bleh!.

Comment

Working...
                                X