Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Made your point, 'dc? Really???

I thought #8 seeds had no business toppling #1 seeds at home in Game One of a playoffs series?

You can't have it both ways. But nice try, though.

FWIW, I'm not sure this iteration of TBL has "been there" just yet postseason-wise, either.

Not unless we're going back to the days of Martin St. Louis, Vinnie Lecavalier (sp?), etc.

QUIZ: What connection actually exists between the '19 CBJ and the '04 SC champs TBL?
    Way too easy, especially for a Chuck quiz. :-)

John Tortorella won his first Jack Adams Award when he led the Lightning to their SC in 2003/04, and his second during his 2016/17 season coaching the Bkue Jackets.

Next quiz: What other coaching record does he hold?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Way too easy, especially for a Chuck quiz. :-)

John Tortorella won his first Jack Adams Award when he led the Lightning to their SC in 2003/04, and his second during his 2016/17 season coaching the Bkue Jackets.

Next quiz: What other coaching record does he hold?
      Getting tossed out of games? I dunno...but I really enjoy his rants!! Think he's a great coach. Really knows how to get it out of his players...up 2-0 on the Lightning!

PS...we turned off the game last night (the NC) before the awards were being given out...UNH's Steve Metcalf handing out the trophy...didn't realize he was a big gun on the NCAA committee...some day 'Cats!!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-14-2019, 09:19 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Well, the good news is UMASS didn't join the NC club before us!

UMD could have laid a much bigger number on UMASS if it weren't for Lindberg.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Without being "negative" watching these teams play the past couple of weeks (teams who made the Regionals etc) I'm wondering...how close are we to competing at that level? Personally...my threshold is to get back to the Garden first. Then a Regional...then...big stage. Of course, home ice for the first round of the HE would be a good start. Are we there next year? Year after? Finally am at the point where I think I get the drill regarding what needs to happen to get there. Obviously teams like UMD have that down and that's why they have 3 titles in 8 seasons. Lots of work by many teams to reach the skill level of some of these teams; we aren't alone in that. To me it's about 2 main things: recruiting and coaching.

Ps...the world really has gone topsy turvy...UMass gets to the NC game after a 5-29 season 3 years ago...and Tiger Woods wins his 5th green jacket; first major win in 11 years. I guess anything's possible!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Getting tossed out of games? I dunno...but I really enjoy his rants!! Think he's a great coach. Really knows how to get it out of his players...up 2-0 on the Lightning!

PS...we turned off the game last night (the NC) before the awards were being given out...UNH's Steve Metcalf handing out the trophy...didn't realize he was a big gun on the NCAA committee...some day 'Cats!!
            Good try on part 2 of the Tortorella quiz, but, ding, ding, ding, time's up, as it has been almost 16 hours. Tortorella has the most NHL wins by an American-born coach, at least according to the Internet.

I have no comment on where UNH might fall in the HEA final ranking next season until I learn how many more players leave teams for the pros "early."
            Last edited by Snively65; 04-14-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Even I was surprised at how dominant UMD was in the Finals. Men vs. boys only begins to describe it.

Reminded me of the '98 FF semifinals when Michigan rolled over UNH in similar methodical fashion.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Even I was surprised at how dominant UMD was in the Finals. Men vs. boys only begins to describe it.

Reminded me of the '98 FF semifinals when Michigan rolled over UNH in similar methodical fashion.
                Or the 1994-95 Stanley Cup Championship.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Obviously teams like UMD have built a strong 'hockey culture'....3 titles in 8 seasons (not to mention the 3 FF's in a row) speak volumes...they took UMass completely out of their game. And yes...experience being there counted for something!! Key thing...just get there.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Similar to this year's Super Bowl. Close on the score board, but never in doubt. Complete domination.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Yeah, you're right. They are similar. I was at that '98 game. Complete freakin embarassment. Funny how the UMASS faithful couldn't be more appreciative and fawning all over Carvel for such a great year. I guess the RS trophy does it for them. Maybe they're planning a parade!!!

Comment

Yeah, you're right. They are similar. I was at that '98 game. Complete freakin embarassment. Funny how the UMASS faithful couldn't be more appreciative and fawning all over Carvel for such a great year. I guess the RS trophy does it for them. Maybe they're planning a parade!!!
                        Well I guess when you've been down for so long...Didn't realize it but most of the players on that team are sophs. So that makes them kind of 'young' on the experience ladder. Hear he's a fairly hard line coach; he got alot out of them. How they do next year will be interesting; will losing Makar be as big a hit as it looks on paper? But now, he (Carvel) has the 'we went to the FF' as a recruiting tool. Winning often begets winning. Doubt they'll be resting on their laurels...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Well I guess when you've been down for so long...Didn't realize it but most of the players on that team are sophs. So that makes them kind of 'young' on the experience ladder. Hear he's a fairly hard line coach; he got alot out of them. How they do next year will be interesting; will losing Makar be as big a hit as it looks on paper? But now, he (Carvel) has the 'we went to the FF' as a recruiting tool. Winning often begets winning. Doubt they'll be resting on their laurels...
                          Yeah. We'll see Ref. Souza's a pretty competitive guy. Don't think he'll like losing to Carvel much moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Umass is likely to lose just three guys total. Makar is the only defenseman they'll lose. They'll bring back studs in Del Gaizo, Ferraro and Farmer as well as Felix and McLaughlin and they bring in the second-highest scoring D in the USHL in Zach Jones (7-45--52). Up front they lose Pritchard and Boeing - with Pritchard being much harder to replace. They have a number of forwards who should continue to make big strides and four incoming FR having big offensive seasons in juniors. Unless guys like Leonard, Ferraro and Chaffee bolt early, UMass will be VERY good again next season and a clear early favorite in Hockey East. Losing Saturday might be the best thing to happen to their 2019-20 season...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Yeah. We'll see Ref. Souza's a pretty competitive guy. Don't think he'll like losing to Carvel much moving forward
                              Good; glad to hear and I can't imagine NOT being a competitive coach esp. at this level. I'm sure our coach is more than ready to get going again and make some noise...Watched a video of Tim Stutzle today..he's our Makar...(IMO) (Sorry, I don't know how to put the two little dots above the u in his last name )
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Or the 1994-95 Stanley Cup Championship.
                                Absolutely fair take. TBL is in the process of a similar beatdown to CBJ, with the only difference being that this time it's in the opening round. At least the '95 DRW got through three rounds before tapping out in the SCF. That was a strike year, and they were absolutely not prepared for what the NJD had in store for them. It would take more painful lessons, including one of the greatest regular seasons ever in the next season - only for an infamous loss in the conference finals to Colorado - before they figured things out over the following two seasons. Having Scotty Bowman around to teach them the ropes was helpful.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X